Author Topic: Truth About Pet Food  (Read 16358 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Truth About Pet Food
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:49:40 AM »
Just so you guys know, she doesn't do as much research on some of her alerts and articles as she should. She relies on here-say information without asking WHO really wrote it. I agree she does do great work but in my point of view anyways, she can make accusations and cause a panic without proof. I've seen it happen on many occasions.

I stopped keeping up with her a looooong time ago.  Her ratings in her Petconsumer Report were enough for me to walk away.  I believe she knows more about ingredients, on average, over the regular Joe...but I also believe she is waaaaaay off at times.  Just my  2cents 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

finnlacey

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:15 AM »
Oh really? What did they say about her? It's nice to know I'm not the only one. She just goes hog wild on things before even checking them out. People are panicked enough about a lot of ingredients in the food, they don't need to be sent into a tailspin.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
Ok so alot of you may not like this site but came across this today and thought it is a good idea, what do you all think?
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/get-your-camera-.html
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »
Ok so alot of you may not like this site but came across this today and thought it is a good idea, what do you all think?
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/get-your-camera-.html

Not everyone is going to agree on everything on every website.  I may not agree with Susan on her ratings of food...especially the wet ones.  But...difference of opinion is what makes the world go 'round.   :)  I hope everyone here will be comfortable posting content that interests them, from ANY website.  (Except websites that contain/promote illegal activity and such.   ;) )

Off to check out the link...

finnlacey

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »
 agreegif Now Shadow! You should know me well enough by now to know that I'm never 100% against or for something as long as there is some benefit to it. Now this is actually a really good idea! What I don't like about her site is her tactics and her lack of backing up info. That's what I don't like.

Lola still waiting for a link to those ratings on her if you can.

But she does have some valuable info and she does do a good job in some areas. And I have an open mind, you know that. Never worry about that with me girlfriend!  :D  thumbsup1

I may put this in the newsletter too if that's okay!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »

Lola still waiting for a link to those ratings on her if you can.

I try to ALWAYS remember to link to items that I post.  If you are referring to the screen shots I posted, that info was provided in her Petconsumer Report.  Can't link (reason for screen shots) because it is a subscription area. 

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
finnlacey, I think you may have misunderstood  :)  Lola was talking about Susan's ratings of pet foods, not any ratings of Susan herself.

Just my perspective but it's been more a lynch-mob mentality there and it's selective upon "fame" level. Notice any mention of Walmart (sucks) (sucks) & Ol' Roy incite the most responses. Well newsflash, TAPF: They are the OLDEST "news" out there!!  
So then you get a bunch of people just preaching to the choir on there...merely repeating what been being said since 2007 but now they're really outraged over it because a NEW article mentions it and want to DO something about it.

And what will they DO with the pictures once they have them?  Write Ellen & Oprah, the AAFCO & 60 Minutes of course!!!  God FORBID someone mention Michael Moore!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:02:32 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
LOL why are there 3 (sucks) there?  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
LOL why are there 3 (sucks) there?  funny2

Figured you were trying to DRIVE THE POINT HOME?  lol 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »
I just typed the store name, once  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
Forum Word "Censor"  - type W a  l - M a r t , or any variation, and word will be changed to Wal-Mart (sucks) (sucks) (sucks)

JUST noticed...each time there is an edit, another "sucks" is posted.  THAT is funnnnnny.  

Testing...3rd edit
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:09:30 PM by Lola »

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
 funny2  Edit freaks exposed!!!!!

finnlacey

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 08:13:05 PM »
Gotcha Lola, thanks!

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »
Susan is currently looking for a catchy saying for a bumper sticker and this is the most recent comment posted:

Andrew
Said this on 7-15-2011 At 10:46 pm

support Obligate Greed & Deception         US PetFood Industry       NO!

Support Obligate Carnivores ~ our    Feline Friends                         YES!

Yeah riiiiiight!!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 06:43:12 AM »
Thought I'd bring the discussion of TAPF back to here.  I said earlier...

There are plenty of vets, professionals, and people in general, that I don't blow off entirely because of a difference of opinion.  

Like I mentioned in my other post... if the difference of opinion was about (for example) fruits in cat food...I could adjust.  I don't think fruits are needed in a feline's food, but don't think a little bit CAUSES harm.  However, lack of moisture in food DOES cause mannnnnny medical issues in felines.  That is just too huge to ignore.  Susan giving lessor ratings because of moisture in food...is dangerous. IMHO

A lessor quality wet food, of ANY kind, is a better choice over a so-called "quality" dry food.  

Susan says she doesn't recommend foods.  Technically, she doesn't.  However, her rating system does.  
How many times have we read or heard the question..."What should I feed my cat?"  
Picture this...  Bumpurr1
A person that has seen/read/admires Susan Thixton, pays for a subscription to her Pet Consumer Report ...looking for answers.  The person sees Susan's ratings.  The person SEES she takes away a paw point rating for all wet foods "due to moisture content."  
Same person sees that Susan gives a species inappropriate "quality" dry kibble 5 points.  (The most points possible.) That person is, more than likely, going to ASSuME the "quality" dry is the better choice...ESPECIALLY because it wasn't docked for moisture content!  Susan's paw points system "recommended" it.  

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:51:34 AM by Lola, Reason: fixed the quote »