Author Topic: RECALL, Another Reason to feed Soy Free Foodies, possible SALMONELLA  (Read 1595 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Rec'd this today, in an email, from Truth About Pet Foods, I copied and pasted it.   If you feed a foodie, that has soy or soy flour in it, you might want to call the company, and ask, thankfully, Blue Wilderness, is soy free.

Recalled Soy Flour Linked to Pet Foods
Written By: Susan Thixton10-6-2011
Thumb Oilseed Producer's Cooperative of Ubly, Michigan is recalling "2623, 50 pound bags and 360, 1500 lb totes of soybean flour; in addition to 924, .08 ton loads of bulk soy meal because they may be contaminated with Salmonella".  The soy products are "utilized to manufacture human and animal food".  

Though no pet food recall has been announced yet, soy products utilized in pet foods have been recalled due to Salmonella contamination.  The NorthCountyGazette.org reports that "The illness of Zen, a dog in Ontario, Canada, and the illness of her owner and another housemate, Coal, is likely associated with this recall".  

Check your pet food and pet treat labels; if your pet food/treat contains a soy ingredient (any variation), it is recommended to call the manufacturer and ask if the soy was purchased from Thumb Oilseed Producer's Cooperative.  Handle the product with care and do not feed it to your pet until you know the source of the soy ingredient.
I would assume we will see pet food recalls associated with this soy recall, but...we'll have to wait and see if that happens. This will be a good test of FDA's true concern over safety of pet food and pet owners however.  

Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,

Susan Thixton
Pet Food Safety Advocate
Author, Buyer Beware
Co-Author Dinner PAWsible
TruthaboutPetFood.com
PetsumerReport.com

Edited to add, if Lola feels this is in the wrong spot, she has Bump's permission, to move it, mol, just give it a forwarding address, mol, mol, mol.  :P :-* :D cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:13:14 PM by Bumpurr »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: RECALL, Another Reason to feed Soy Free Foodies, possible SALMONELLA
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »
Well it's listed on the FDA recall site at least, under the Animal Health section.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/default.htm

Thanks for the tip.  I try to remember to check the above link at least weekly, but I sometimes forget.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: RECALL, Another Reason to feed Soy Free Foodies, possible SALMONELLA
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
The recalled soybean flour and meal was distributed to a limited group of wholesale customers located in Illinois, Vermont, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and Canada.  The shipments occurred in November 2010 thru September 2011.

I'm guessing anything shipped before the last month or so has already been used in consumer products, and is already (or has been) in the market.   catsterpuke
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: