Author Topic: Why I keep my cats' rabies vaccines up to date  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Why I keep my cats' rabies vaccines up to date
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
As I was doing my senior boy's nail trim yesterday morning there was a loud noise outside on the road. It startled him and he struggled in my arms. I involuntarily clutched him to me instead of releasing him, and somehow my left ring finger ended up in his mouth, resulting in two tooth marks.

I know cat bites can be serious, but it was imperative that I get to my mother's, so I washed it well and dumped alcohol over it and hoped for the best.

I soaked it when I got home last night, and this morning it did not seem really bad, but I know how cat bites can be.  When I got up it was slightly swollen, a little sore, and the area turning red, so I went to the Urgent Care walk in clinic first thing this morning, to get antibiotics. Knowing the laws in my state I brought his rabies vaccination record with me. The nurse told me she had to report the bite and I said I expected that, it was fine, he is a 12 year old indoor cat, never missed a vaccination, and has never bit anyone in his life, I was not worried.

Now, a little over 24 hours since the bite, it is starting to swell more and hurt more, so I am glad I have the antibiotics.

Dept of Health called less than an hour after I left the clinic, for the details and to let me know the course of action (which I am already familiar with). I told her that I told my boy that he "has a record now" and she laughed and said she's never heard that one before LOL.

But I would be singing a very different tune right now, if he had not been up to date on his rabies vaccine.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Why I keep my cats' rabies vaccines up to date
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
The above is VERY good info.  I am not dogging you in ANY way.  The only reason I am posting is because... MANY people assume it is the law, in every state, to have felines vaccinated.  It is not.

People are often scared into assuming their cat won't be treated medically, if it doesn't have rabies (and more) vaccinations.  Or their cat will be hauled away if it bites someone.  Or worse.

The laws are not the same in every state.  BEFORE people decide to vaccinate or not, they should KNOW the laws of THEIR state.  
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 12:48:14 PM »
Yes, it is important to know the state laws, and the local laws, regarding rabies vaccinations.

I know ours, and I know what can happen if a cat not current with his or her rabies vac bites someone. A lot also depends on the official you end up dealing with.  Some officials can be real  flamingturd, and others can be causal and nice as pie, you just never know.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
Some of our felines have been OVER-vaccinated, IMHO, because I assumed.  Sooooo, I guess that is why I can be anal about mentioning that people should know the laws in their State. 

The choice to vaccinate or not (if the law permits)... whole new can of worms!   Bumpurr1

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
I just went thru this with Smokey, a few weeks ago, same thing, it was an accident, she is a show cat, has all her shots, does not go out, is 7 yrs old, have had her since she was 12 weeks old, and can prove it.  Which is what the report said, I filled out. Got a letter from the Health Dept, and a call, both were very nice, said just have your vet fax over her rabies certificate.  They did, I called to make sure the Health Dept got it, they did, said your all set. 

I too, had to go to Urgent Care, the next day, my supervisor sent me, then had to go to my regular dr on Mon. They put me on Augmenten, which I know from the cat show circuit, is the correct anitbiotic, for cat bites.  It was extremly painful.  My dr said your lucky, that you went to Urgent Care the next day. We have seen some people have to go to the hospital for days. All animal bites should be seen immediately.  There is alot of bacteria in an animals mouth. 

They can quarintine the cat, for 10 days, at your expense, any unvaccined cat is quartined for 6 months, at your expense, if one cannot afford this, the cat is put down.

As far as the 10 day thingy, I guess it depends on the circumstances, they wasn't gettin Smokey, had my shot gun ready, mol, no one even came to the door, good thing, for them.

Rabies vaccine is mandatory in most states, for cats, dogs and ferrets, some have provisions, if there health risks to the animal, which your vet has to produce.  I looked up the states, I already knew mine was, and the state I show in require it.  Ohio is not on the list, but they just passed it, it is now mandatory.

http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/issues/rabies_vaccination.asp

at the bottow, click on "State Rabies Laws"

I understand, some have concerns with vaccinating, and for some, there are medical issues.  I advise all, to ask your vet, what your state laws are, and discuss, your options, if you feel, for whatever reason, you do not want to vaccinate.

Just be aware, and have a plan ready, if your cat should bite you, or anyone.  It has to be reported, and anyone is insane, not going to a dr, for an animal bite, you could die from it. An unvaccinated animal will be quarinteened, for 6 months, at your expense, if you cannot afford it, the animal is put down.  So have a plan ready, just in case. 

Here are 2 cases, that it was an accident. When I was in the hospital, after my car accident, the lady in the next bed, was in the hospital, for a cat bite, hers, it was an accident, she had to stay in the hospital, she was trying to get ahold of her vet.

I thank G, Smokey was vaccinated.  I could not have afforded to board her for 6 months.

Show rules require it, and they spot check at some shows, by, the health dept, you are pretty screwed, if you don't have the certificate. 

One also has to be aware of the state laws, in any states, they are traveling to, and/or passing thru.

thumbsup1 bumpgif

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
This is very good information. Thank you Middle Child! I never vaccinated Simba except when I took him and Olyver to live in Mexico for 6 months. I was vaccinated for rabies since I went there to do animal rescue but never was bitten.

I've had some pretty nasty cat bites when I rescued feral cats and did feral socializing but I never went to the doctor, probably should have. I just kept a supply of Augmenten since that's what they would given me anyway. The deep bites hurt like hell!!! Now that I'm older I'm not as careless though.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 07:33:25 AM »
I can't take augmentin because it is a penicillin drug. I'm on clindamycin. The wound is doing well.  It never did swell much or get very painful, but I know how dangerous cat bites can be. 

He didn't really bite me at all. My finger got caught in his mouth and he has sharp teeth, that's all that happened and now my poor boy has a record!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »
I can't take augmentin because it is a penicillin drug. I'm on clindamycin. The wound is doing well.  It never did swell much or get very painful, but I know how dangerous cat bites can be. 

He didn't really bite me at all. My finger got caught in his mouth and he has sharp teeth, that's all that happened and now my poor boy has a record!

jailtime

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:59 AM »
jailtime

LOL!

I was just talking to my vet.  he has some health issues that are currently flaring.  She told me to bring him in right away if I felt he needed to be seen.  I reminded her he is under quarantine for 10 days, and she went off on a little tirade about the department of health and their inconsistencies. Then she said she didn't care about that, if he needs to be seen, bring him in.  I assured her he is okay for the moment and can wait until his next scheduled appointment which is next Wednesday, the 14th, but of course if I have the slightest worry I will bring him.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38:17 AM »
LOL!

I was just talking to my vet.  he has some health issues that are currently flaring.  She told me to bring him in right away if I felt he needed to be seen.  I reminded her he is under quarantine for 10 days, and she went off on a little tirade about the department of health and their inconsistencies. Then she said she didn't care about that, if he needs to be seen, bring him in.  I assured her he is okay for the moment and can wait until his next scheduled appointment which is next Wednesday, the 14th, but of course if I have the slightest worry I will bring him.

Didn't you say that his shots were up to date...according to the laws in your State?  Why is he quarantined then?  throwfit

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »
Didn't you say that his shots were up to date...according to the laws in your State?  Why is he quarantined then?  throwfit

Yes he has never missed a rabies vaccination and he is an indoor cat.  But the law requires a 10 day in-home quarantine, regardless. the Dept of Health will be calling me on the 10th day to confirm that he (nor I) is not foaming at the mouth haha.

Rabies is a serious issue in my state, and especially in my area, so as annoying as it is, I understand their rigidity.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
But the law requires a 10 day in-home quarantine, regardless. the Dept of Health will be calling me on the 10th day to confirm that he (nor I) is not foaming at the mouth haha.

Ohhhhh, thought you meant he was taken away!  Whew.
Do they think he is going to catch a bus to somewhere?

I'm not making light of rabies issues...just being a smart asp.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:56:06 AM by Lola »

Tags: