Author Topic: Declawing  (Read 7415 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Declawing
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
I only trim Pookie's front claws.  When I first started, I did all 4 paws but it just wasn't worth it to do the back ones, esp. since he doesn't really "use" them.

Tasha, I've seen him chew on his claws, too.  I think you're right -- he's just trying to get the sheath off.

You know what BUGS me?  When I called the holistic vet (my back-up for my regular vet but haven't gone to them since I gave up Pookie's sister), their hold message advertises laser declawing.  From a HOLISTIC vet practice??????  Are ya kidding me???!??!?! >:(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:48:18 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »
I only trim Pookie's front claws.  When I first started, I did all 4 paws but it just wasn't worth it to do the back ones, esp. since he doesn't really "use" them.

Tasha, I've seen him chew on his claws, too.  I think you're right -- he's just trying to get the sheath off.

You know what BUGS me?  When I called the holistic vet (my back-up for my regular vet but haven't gone to them since I gave up Pookie's sister), their hold message advertises laser declawing.  From a HOLISTIC vet practice??????  Are ya kidding me???!??!?! >:(

Oh my gosh.  That makes me sick, actually sick to my stomach. I left a vet after her receptionist suggested I declaw one of my cats I had just, at the time, adopted from a shelter.  She got an earful from me first though, and so did the vet, when I called her to tell her why I left her practice.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »

Laser declawing..Nothing like the added "benefit" of the burning smell and pain.   bangshead
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
...their hold message advertises laser declawing.  From a HOLISTIC vet practice??????  Are ya kidding me???!??!?! >:(

Holeyfrakinwowwtfbbqeleventyone!!111!!

That literally made me physically shudder.

I know it's only anecdotal, but you can't tell me that declawing doesn't change a cat's personality...

I have a friend who declawed her cats... a long time ago, when it was more commonly accepted.
One of the poor things ended up going back 3 times to get it done properly.
That cat was thereafter known as "demon kitty".  She hated every human she saw (except her own).

I'd be pretty pissed at the world too, if I had a repeated amputation of the same friggin' limbs.  flamingangry

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
Stolen Borrowed from http://www.littlebigcat.com/blog/animal-planet-on-declawing/

Animal Planet on Declawing
September 14, 2011
By jhofve77

Animal Planet, which hosts our own Jackson Galaxy’s show, My Cat From Hell, has a statement on declawing in which they emphasize that declawing is a painful procedure with long-term negative consequences:

http://animal.discovery.com/cat-guide/cat-care/cat-health/declawing-cat.html

You can comment/Facebook at the bottom of the page. Let’s let Animal Planet know we appreciate their strong statement!

I'm not a "fan" of Facebook, but I know many of you are. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org