Author Topic: Re: Dry Vs Wet  (Read 19227 times)

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Re: Dry Vs Wet
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
Is it safe to ASSuME that wet is more filling for dogs than dry?

Not sure if the satisfaction effect would be due to the wet vs. dry factor.  I would lean more to the theory that it's because wet food may be generally higher in protein.  That is a theory, based on my own assumption.  lol   But if true, it makes more sense, since protein is what is most satisfying to a carnivore.   :)

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dry Vs Wet
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
I'm not convinced the canned is any better for them than kibble. Barkly won't eat canned food either. Not even the Wellness 95% meat kind. I guess it's good that he refuses the prescription foods when he's sick too.

We'd have had some really expensive experiments when we first got him if it hadn't have been for Danny being willing to eat it. After buying the Solid Gold a couple of days ago, I'm over with experimenting with anything at all anymore.

I'll just feed him the raw he wants for his main food, with the 2 kibbles that he actually will eat for snacks to keep him eating it for emergencies. He's a better hold-out than I am, and it's just too expensive to watch it ruin in his bowl.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 06:46:20 PM »
Not sure if the satisfaction effect would be due to the wet vs. dry factor.  I would lean more to the theory that it's because wet food may be generally higher in protein.  That is a theory, based on my own assumption.  lol   But if true, it makes more sense, since protein is what is most satisfying to a carnivore.   :)

Makes sense to me!  Thanks!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Re: Re: Dry Vs Wet
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
There are also more excellent pictures here (scroll down).

Apparently, at one point Second Chance Ranch posted an article about all the dangers of raw feeding (it's long since been taken down).  Ms. Kuhen wrote a 5 page rebuttal to it.... yes, 5 pages! oy.

It drives me nuts that veterinarians still perpetuate the myth that dogs are omnivores.  Thing is, you'll usually (though, not always) find these statements on some pet food related site or article.   bangshead

I am grateful that more people are getting on board with the idea that cats (and ferrets!) are obligate carnivores, but I can't help feeling that our carnivorous doggy friends are getting the short shrift sometimes.  The irony to me is, there are a lot of dog owners out there who have been raw feeding for decades.  When I started looking into feeding my cats a raw diet, most of the sites I came across were for dogs.  Pierson's site was the only one (at the time) that was specifically targeted for cats.

I understand that not everyone is going to feed raw.  Lots of folks have their reasons. 
I just don't want one of those reasons to be because of misinformation.

okay... I'll get off my soapbox now.

:-*

Addressing the point in bold, how about vets who still insist that kibble cleans the teeth?  I'm just now getting all of my pets off kibble, but I have never believed this story.  It makes about as much sense as telling a person to clean his or her teeth with Fritos.   ::)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »
Addressing the point in bold, how about vets who still insist that kibble cleans the teeth?  I'm just now getting all of my pets off kibble, but I have never believed this story.  It makes about as much sense as telling a person to clean his or her teeth with Fritos.   ::)

I know, it's maddening isn't it?  Infuriating.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2017, 07:29:29 AM »
Since I'm already writing about my experience as I transition my cats from kibble to wet (done) to raw, I thought I might as well share some news about my two dogs, as well.

I adopted a little Pomeranian last February.  He had, for some reason I have yet to understand, had a couple of previous homes and been through a dog rescue, as well.  He came to me with a bag of Pedigree and a bunch of equally junky treats, which I promptly threw away. 

This little guy is a picky eater (I think his last owner let him get away with eating mostly treats.)  He also seemed to have a sensitive tummy, as he was having frequent runny poos, to the point that I was having to wash his bottom every other day or so.  I tried any number of "good" kibbles, and figured the problem was with the dog, not the food, as my Chihuahua has a cast iron stomach and has never had diarrhea in her life.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I finally settled on a kibble that was supposed to be safe for either a cat or a dog, as I sometimes found my cats eating the dogs' food, and didn't want them to end up getting sick as a result.  Resigned myself to frequent washing of Bandit's bottom. 

Then, one day, both cats and dogs decided they didn't want kibble anymore.  Started feeding the cats some canned I still had around from the last time I tried to get them off the junk food, and offering the dogs some frozen, human-grade dog food, which I had offered them before, but was afraid to use, because I thought it would make the poo problem worse. 

It didn't.  This all started a bit over two weeks ago, iirc, and since I took away the kibble, my Pom has not had a nasty poo one single time.  It's a lovely change, and I'm sure he feels better.  Even the Chi with the cast-iron tummy is pooping less, and it's less stinky.

They'll be started on raw, too, just as soon as I get the cats switched over.  I still have enough good of the good dog food to last for a couple more weeks, and by then, I should feel comfortable enough to take on a new project.  I'll probably start offering them bites of raw before then, when I am making the cats' food, to get them used to the idea. 

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but no, kibble is not okay.  I knew it before, now I am a total believer.     

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »
bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

You rock Catgirl!

PS I was actually wondering what you feed your dogs.  I am thrilled to know they are going raw too!

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »

You rock Catgirl!

PS I was actually wondering what you feed your dogs.  I am thrilled to know they are going raw too!

If I still needed more reasons to ditch the kibble, I just got one this morning.  I found one of the empty kibble bowls that had been pushed under a chair.  (I really thought that I had gathered them all up, but I guess I missed this one.)  Someone had peed in it.  If that is not a thumbs-down from the critters, I don't know what is. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
I'll tell you from having the only picky Corgi on earth, and buying some of the most expensive kibbles on earth, that if a dog is picky about kibble (then isn't even remotely picky about raw food), then something must be wrong with kibble. I used to beg him for a year to eat before we got Vlad who was weaned on raw and whose dam was fed raw. No begging anymore.

That was our final clue that we should be feeding dogs differently. It took us almost a year to change over completely, but I had a lot of research to do b/c I knew that things had to be done a certain way, or they wouldn't be healthy. (Didn't know at that time that raw and processed didn't work well together, but, luckily, neither of ours seemed to have any of the digestive problems with it.)

I DO veer from the normal prey model and feed a BARF diet with veg and fruit puree, but i do it because I noticed a tendency for them to want to eat a LOT of grass outside when I didn't give the veg & fruits. If you notice the same grass eating tendency in your dogs, you might want to consider meals with about 25-30% veg and fruit puree that's comprised of about 90% veg and 10% fruit. Rodney Habib and Dr. Karen Becker think it's good for them too.

I've read that not a lot of difference is seen in a lot of dogs that are given veg and fruits, but with our two, there is a difference.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
I'll tell you from having the only picky Corgi on earth, and buying some of the most expensive kibbles on earth, that if a dog is picky about kibble (then isn't even remotely picky about raw food), then something must be wrong with kibble. I used to beg him for a year to eat before we got Vlad who was weaned on raw and whose dam was fed raw. No begging anymore.

That was our final clue that we should be feeding dogs differently. It took us almost a year to change over completely, but I had a lot of research to do b/c I knew that things had to be done a certain way, or they wouldn't be healthy. (Didn't know at that time that raw and processed didn't work well together, but, luckily, neither of ours seemed to have any of the digestive problems with it.)

I DO veer from the normal prey model and feed a BARF diet with veg and fruit puree, but i do it because I noticed a tendency for them to want to eat a LOT of grass outside when I didn't give the veg & fruits. If you notice the same grass eating tendency in your dogs, you might want to consider meals with about 25-30% veg and fruit puree that's comprised of about 90% veg and 10% fruit. Rodney Habib and Dr. Karen Becker think it's good for them too.

I've read that not a lot of difference is seen in a lot of dogs that are given veg and fruits, but with our two, there is a difference.

The food they are getting right now is called Tylee's.  It's not raw, but it is grain-free, with human-grade ingredients.  It does have fruits and veggies.  Years ago, I did prey model raw with two other dogs, and it's what I am most familiar with, but I am open to adding at least some plant materials.  I'm sure some will wonder why I got away from raw at all, and the reason was one of pure logistics:  I was living in a little cabin, with only a dorm fridge.  You pretty much can't do raw under those circumstances, as you barely have room to store fresh food for yourself. 

I'll try both, and see what works best for them.  Either one has to be better than kibble.  Planning to start out mixing in some raw with their Tylee's.   

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »

You rock Catgirl!

Hoping to get my housemate on board, too.  She has a chronically smelly Scottie with chronically smelly poo.  I would bet my last penny that better food would address both of these issues.

Working on it...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »
Hoping to get my housemate on board, too.  She has a chronically smelly Scottie with chronically smelly poo.  I would bet my last penny that better food would address both of these issues.

Working on it...

Absolutely the improved diet would!

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »
The food they are getting right now is called Tylee's.  It's not raw, but it is grain-free, with human-grade ingredients.  It does have fruits and veggies.  Years ago, I did prey model raw with two other dogs, and it's what I am most familiar with, but I am open to adding at least some plant materials.  I'm sure some will wonder why I got away from raw at all, and the reason was one of pure logistics:  I was living in a little cabin, with only a dorm fridge.  You pretty much can't do raw under those circumstances, as you barely have room to store fresh food for yourself. 

I'll try both, and see what works best for them.  Either one has to be better than kibble.  Planning to start out mixing in some raw with their Tylee's.

Mixed a bit of half-baked chicken with their food tonight.  They devoured it.  This is going to be much easier than transitioning the cats.  Based on their reaction, and my prior experience with raw for dogs, I could have the job done in a week or two, if I brush up on my knowledge of the correct size bones and can find a good source of organs, other than liver.

Lola, do you want me to continue with the dogs' progress here, or is there a better place for it? 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 03:14:45 AM »
Absolutely the improved diet would!

She's starting to show some interest!  I think seeing a difference in Bandit is making an impression.  The fact that he has not had diarrhea once since I ditched the dry food is a pretty powerful argument.  I'm thrilled, because honestly, she doesn't like change, and is usually very invested in the opinions of "authority" figures.  She fed Iams for years...on the advice of her vet.  :( 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:19:48 AM by Catgirl64 »

Tags: