Author Topic: Dr. Lisa A Pierson DVM  (Read 17035 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dr. Lisa A Pierson DVM
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
"Diet is the brick and mortar of health.  This web page lays out some often-ignored principles of feline nutrition and explains why cats have a better chance at optimal health if they are fed a canned food diet instead of dry kibble.  Putting a little thought into what you feed your cat(s) can pay big dividends over their lifetime and very possibly help them avoid serious, painful, and costly illnesses.  
An increasing number of American Veterinary Medical Association members, including board-certified veterinary internists, are now strongly recommending the feeding of canned food instead of dry kibble."

Dr. Lisa Pierson's website was one of the first websites I came across, that helped me understand the dry vs. wet debate...in simple terms.  AND she is largely "responsible" for the health (and life) of our sweet, Leonard.  Her website is LOADED with info on many subjects.  I learn something new every time I click on her site!  

One of my favorite links on her site is: My Cat Is Doing Just "Fine" On Dry Food

Dr. Pierson is available for private, paid, consultations to go over the nutritional needs of your CKD cat if you contact her.  Note, that her consultations are conducted only after the patient's records, including lab work, have been provided for her review.
cat1
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:10:11 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Dr. Lisa A Pierson DVM
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
Wish we could put her every quote on here  :)  LOVE how she sums it up, too:

The goal of this paper is to arm you with knowledge about the special dietary needs of your cat so you can make an informed decision on how and what to feed while striking a balance that works for both of you.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
There are an impressive number of websites devoted to educating people about good nutritional health and practices for their cats. They are full of product suggestions and other specific advice for managing cats who are well and those who aren't. Dr Lisa Pierson is a vet renowned for her championing of feline nutrition with her website www.catinfo.org.

Tracie Hotchner

Offline TesterDawg

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »
Lisa A. Pierson, DVM, graduated from UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine in California in 1984. Her passion for feline nutrition, and how feline diseases relate to species-inappropriate diets, came about in 2002 when she was researching feline nutrition for her cat Robbie who was dealing with severe intestinal issues. She launched Catinfo.org, in 2003 with the goal of educating feline caregivers regarding optimal feline nutrition. Her practice is now limited to consulting worldwide. The most common health issues she deals with are kidney disease, diabetes, urinary tract issues, inflammatory bowel disease and obesity as these all have strong ties to unhealthy diets.

http://feline-nutrition.org/about-us/building-a-big-tent-the-many-voices-of-feline-nutrition

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »
 wow1   Anyone see Dr Lisa's latest site update?  

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=origin

Hello CatInfo readers,

I am often asked what led to the creation of catinfo.org and what fuels my passion for doing as much as I can to help cats from all over the world live long and healthy lives.

The second part of the question is easy to answer:  I really love cats.

The first part of the question takes a bit more explaining.

I never fathomed that I would become such an outspoken veterinarian regarding matters of optimal feline nutrition and care given that my primary focus straight out of veterinary school was equine medicine.  I never dreamed that I would end up writing pages and pages detailing how to make a healthy diet for cats, or passionately discussing the prevention and management of feline diabetes and urinary tract diseases, or writing about the dangers of ‘dry pilling’ cats, or putting a litter box-cleaning video on the internet especially considering the fact that the World Wide Web was years away from even existing when I graduated from the University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine in 1984! ...

[
...Robbie is the cute brown tabby that adorns the top of all catinfo.org webpages and who, if given the chance, would spend his life wrapped around my neck.
If not for Robbie this website would probably not exist and I might still be feeding my cats a very unhealthy diet of dry food.

I call Robbie the “best ‘mistake’ of my life”. ...

So how did I become so deeply passionate about cat nutrition, general care, and the various medical conditions that affect the cats that we share our lives with? ...
[/size]

Dr Lisa's whole story!!  Pictures, too!   :)

I’m often asked why I don’t write a book.  My reason?  We never stop learning and growing.  Once something is in print, it cannot be updated - unlike this website.  

You will notice that there is a date at the bottom of every page showing when the last revision was written.  Keeping the site current is extremely time consuming but I do my best as time permits.

Thanks to all of you and your quest for knowledge, this website has become quite popular with over 100,000 visits per month.  Many of you have added a link to catinfo.org on your own websites which has resulted in more cats getting fed and cared for optimally.  

If you have found your way to this site, your cats are very lucky to have you care deeply enough about their well-being to put the time in to research ways to promote optimal feline health.  It is my hope that the information contained here will improve the quality and length of your cat’s life.

Happy Reading, indeed!!  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:21:03 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
Thanks for the update, CC.  LOVED it!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Dr. Lisa A Pierson DVM - UPDATE
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »
Attention:  Dr. Pierson is taking a break from her consulting service for an undetermined period of time. 

https://catinfo.org/consultation-service/#contact

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
I hope everything's ok.   fingerscrossed  HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 05:50:28 AM »
Oh dear. Hope she is well

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »
The way I understood it... all the emails, consultations, and such just got to be too much.  I am not surprised.  She is a busy woman, without the website.  I am glad FOR HER that she took a step back.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:07:53 PM by Lola »