Author Topic: Slippery Elm Powder - LOTS of uses!  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Slippery Elm Powder - LOTS of uses!
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
Externally, a soothing paste of Slippery Elm powder (mix the powder with a little cold water) can be used as a poultice for hot spots, insect burns, rashes, scratches, ulcerated areas, or other shallow wounds. Native Americans used Slippery Elm bark to stop bleeding. It forms a natural “bandage” that can be left in place for several hours, if you can convince your dog to leave it alone! Moisten with water to remove it.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Slippery Elm Powder - LOTS of uses!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
Oooo....Thank you, Lola!!!

I'll remember that if he gets any more of them.

If he gets any others after applying the Advantix II, I'll be stripping it off with Dawn tout de suite! But it would be nice to have something to put on any problems that would act like liquid bandage does.

I guess if he reacts to Advantix, we'll know he's now sensitive to permethrins. If it's not, then we'll agree with that other site that said it was probably the other ingredients that are the carrier oils.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »
I was thinking that info could help 3 of us, right now.  lol
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:25:41 AM »
Hi Dee, I just thought of something.  If you can find it, maybe use Vetericyn.  I know they make a formula for hot spots, and my Tractor Supply carries it.  I also know Mo has used it (different formula, I think) for healing wounds with great success.

Just tossing that out there . . . didn't mean to hijack the thread.   :-[
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:13:05 AM »
Hi Dee, I just thought of something.  If you can find it, maybe use Vetericyn.  I know they make a formula for hot spots, and my Tractor Supply carries it.  I also know Mo has used it (different formula, I think) for healing wounds with great success.

Thank you. That looks like the stuff he debrided his foot with the other day--after he shaved even more than I'd already shaved last week. BOL. I'll go find some at TS for changing his bandage tomorrow. (I've already called the health food store, and they don't have any SE powder. They can order it, but heck, I can do that.) I've got to change it, make sure it's getting better, and call vet back before they close tomorrow. Then he's got another appointment Tuesday.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: