Author Topic: Missing Ingredient Mystery  (Read 2260 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Missing Ingredient Mystery
« on: January 01, 2012, 04:07:10 AM »
 I was wondering about Peanut Hulls, Ethoxyquin, BHT & BHA which have gone missing and wondering if anyone's heard anything about shortages?  
Here's what my dog was "prescribed" a few years ago:   Hills Pet Nutrition Hills Prescription W/D
Date of last review
Mon January 29, 2007 www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Potassium Chloride, preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, DL-Methionine, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene.

Now here's a new version:  

http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine-wd-canine-low-fat-diabetic-gastrointestinal-dry.html
Prescription Diet®
w/d® Canine Low Fat-Diabetic-Gastrointestinal

Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken by-product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Oil, Dried Beet Pulp, Lactic Acid, Soybean Meal, Caramel Color, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Flaxseed, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Iodized Salt, L-Tryptophan, L-Carnitine, L-Threonine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Question 1)
   Are the Peanut farmers having weather or other issues lately? (I'm serious.)    Where are the peanut hulls?  They were probably the only things on there a human would find remotely enticing because maybe there's a chance they were grown in Altanta or somewhere else not in China.

2)  Why no trumpeting on being Ethoxyquin/BHT & BHA-Free now?  You'd think that would be a major marketing factor, appealing to everyone who knows they are banned in human foods in many countries for a reason!

Oh wait.  Doh1 That's right. All those people with pets either having succumbed to or suffering from Cancer would see it too!!
But I'm still wondering what's up with the peanut shortage.  :-\

Oh well, at least the Powered Cellulose is still there, as many will be chucking their Christmas trees this week!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:11:28 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Missing Ingredient Mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »
Why no trumpeting on being Ethoxyquin/BHT & BHA-Free now?  You'd think that would be a major marketing factor, appealing to everyone who knows they are banned in human foods in many countries for a reason!

When they made the changes may have something to do with it.  Timing can work for or against a company.  ??
"They" say bad press is better than no press.  Maybe "they" is wrong.  

Oh well, at least the Powered Cellulose is still there, as many will be chucking their Christmas trees this week!
Pine and sawdust...double the bang. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
Ethoxyquin, was the major reason, cat show people, begged me, to take Prowler off Hills Science Diet CD, when a prev vet, put him on it, for crystals, which the crystals came back anyhow, which is when I started doing research on crystals. It was 5 yrs ago, Prowler was only 2, I had him at the Garden State show, and we were outside, discussing food.  I kinda chuckle, when I remember what my responce was, well his vet put him on it.
The same responce you still hear today, like the vet, is the end of all, kings.  Not at all knocking vets. That was a previous vet. The vet I have now, is, worth her weight in gold.   When the crystals came back, I said, something ain't right with this picture, and did the research.  The show peoples was right.  

Seems like I read somewhere, that they don't have, to list all the ingredients. I would find Hills Science Diet site, on Facebook, and post on there, and ask them, about those ingredients.   :-* TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:42:35 AM »
I would find Hills Science Diet site, on Facebook, and post on there, and ask them, about those ingredients.  

The only person that I know that dislikes the privacy/marketing/tracking/viruses issues on FB, more than me, is CC.  If CC has a FB account, I will be very surprised!  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:47:39 AM by Lola, Reason: can\'t spell »

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
I only use FB to haunt the BB site. If ya needy something posted, on a site, relative to kitties or their foodies, write it up, and send it to Bump, he will posty it, he has no fear, m-o-l.  >:( :P :-* TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
I TRY to remember to use smilies when I think I'm being funny/sarcastic.  

I don't care who uses FB or for what reasons.  I, personally, think it stinks.  However, I don't feel anyone has to agree with me.   :D