Author Topic: Arrows & ACV  (Read 34931 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Arrows & ACV
« on: June 24, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
THIS POST DIDN'T START OUT HERE.  But since ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) is working for Arrows (and others)... the thread has been moved here.  :) 

First of all, he has NEVER been a barfer.. no food or hairballs.  Never ever.  Last week, he brought up dark brown (definitely not black) liquid, about 2 or 3 times... different days.  My first thought was... food and/or protein change...but it isn't food regurgitated consistency.  It is smooth, not lumpy. 
There are a few very small very dark specks in it also.  Could be an ingredient from one of the foods... or maybe it is blood.  It does look like coffee grounds, but there is only maybe 6 "grounds," if that matters. 
He is maintaining his regular weight, but we recently started giving him a little extra, because he looks thinner... and he loves his food... and stays active enough, that we assume he won't chub out.
He isn't doing it right before, or after, meals.
Another vet gave him a convenia shot in December.   >:(  From what I have read online... I think any issues, would have showed up, before now. 
He goes to the vet on Friday.  Full general physical is automatic.  I will ask that a senior blood panel be done.  I think I have to ask for a urinalysis also.... vet doesn't just automatically do one. That should be done, right?
Any tips or suggestions?

More info, in case it helps.  He has been with us for 4 years.  4 years ago, the vet (not my regular one) said he was 6 years old... so, he will be 10 in August. 
He was fed kibble, for his first 6 years. 

One more thing, that made me rule out a food problem... Jenkins (cat) and Lacy (dog) are barf eaters.  I know... gross.  Neither of them will go NEAR this stuff! 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:09:31 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Arrows & ACV
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:10:39 PM »
Ugh, this doesn't sound good.  I hope I am wrong.  Yes, definitely get blood work, including thyroid.  A lot of vets don't automatically add that. And urinalysis if you can't get him there with a full bladder.

What food change? Have you started the Hare Today?  I'm wondering if maybe he's just having trouble with the bone content?  Is he still eating okay?  How about the litter box?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »
Ugh, this doesn't sound good.  I hope I am wrong.  Yes, definitely get blood work, including thyroid.  A lot of vets don't automatically add that. And urinalysis if you can't get him there with a full bladder.

What food change? Have you started the Hare Today?  I'm wondering if maybe he's just having trouble with the bone content?  Is he still eating okay?  How about the litter box?

Wrote what you said down, and put the note in my purse. 
I added Nature's Variety canned back into the mix.  Just not enough brands in rotation, for my liking.  BUT one of the barfs was before it was fed.  Hubby just reminded me.
He is eating GREAT... just like normal.
Litter box... I looked verrrrry closely, when scooping today.  Everything looks good.  No exploding diarrhea for sure.  Loose stools would be difficult to detect. 
I could just be panicking about the possible coffee grounds looking items, but ... the two barf eaters not going near it.  That is a clear sign... of something. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
Just can't get any cuter, than this guy:

He is a LOVE bug.  Loves everyone.  He is the only cat that "socializes" with company....when he isn't going through their purses.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
He is a Precious Red Boy.  I love them all!  It definitely doesn't sound like a food issue, since this started before the re-add.

My line should say "if you CAN get him there with a full bladder" by the way. :)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:52:06 AM »
Oh sorry to hear that Lola, the last time my cats puked like that was when I gave them a wet food with flax seed in it.
Does the food you feed have flax in it?
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
Oh sorry to hear that Lola, the last time my cats puked like that was when I gave them a wet food with flax seed in it.
Does the food you feed have flax in it?

By Nature Duck has flaxseed, and he ate it the night before!!  I thought I was doing good with spinach waaaay down on the list, and no carrageenan or Montmorillonite clay.  I sooooooo hope that is it...sure seems HIGHY possible.     yaygif  Thank YOU.   I was just sick about him... now, I have hope.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:35:35 AM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »
This is probably difficult, with the number of furkids you have, but do you keep a journal of what you feed and when?  Maybe in Arrows case, document what/when you feed him and when he barfs, just to help you confirm/rule out the NV.

I agree with MC, definitely get the urinalysis, etc.  If nothing else, at least you'll have a baseline to refer back to in the future if, heaven forbid, he ever has other issues.

I truly hope it's something as simple as the flax seed.  fingerscrossed  grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
This is probably difficult, with the number of furkids you have, but do you keep a journal of what you feed and when?  Maybe in Arrows case, document what/when you feed him and when he barfs, just to help you confirm/rule out the NV.

I agree with MC, definitely get the urinalysis, etc.  If nothing else, at least you'll have a baseline to refer back to in the future if, heaven forbid, he ever has other issues.

I truly hope it's something as simple as the flax seed.  fingerscrossed  grouphug

I did jot down notes, for this situation, starting on Monday.  I'm still taking Arrows to the vet, on Friday.  I just feel a little better about it. 
I guess the only way to test the flaxseed idea, is to feed it again?  That just sounds so wrong to "want" to make him sick, but it would give a definite answer. 

Lacy (dog) is going with us, to get her nails trimmed.  The other place was so worried she would live up to the Pitbull name, they didn't do a very good job.  As much as I hate the drive to "my" vet, I'm going to have to just go there for now on. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »
Today is the day Arrows goes to the vet.  He hasn't left any puddles of "stuff," since Monday.  I mopped every square inch of the house yesterday, so I would be sure to SEE every square inch.  Even if something had been cleaned up, by one of the barf cleaners, some evidence would be left behind. 

It is good it isn't constant, but...  I almost don't want to take him, because I don't want to know.  I WILL... but I'm just sick about it. 

By the way, I did feed him the food with flaxseed again... to test it.  I SO wanted that to be the problem.  Everything stayed down. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »
It is good it isn't constant, but...  I almost don't want to take him, because I don't want to know.  I WILL... but I'm just sick about it. 

I'm so sorry you're having this scare. I know that kind of feeling from Dannyboy. "No I don't want to know what it is, I just want it out of him! He's too old to put through the continual trauma of anything else, and you know it."

Things like that are one of the scariest feelings on earth. Keeping our paws crossed for the visit today!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes

It really shouldn't have to be this hard...

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »
Positive thoughts your way  HeadButt
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
Sending purrs and crossing paws . . .

CatPurr fingerscrossed GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
Love and hugs and vibes and prayers abound.