Author Topic: Finicky Cat: Nature or Nurture?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Finicky Cat: Nature or Nurture?
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:06:43 AM »
For some reason I've always had it in my head that kittens should be fed on only one or two foods, no snacks or treats or variety for at least their first six months (or longer), to help prevent finickiness, and so I have been advising people.

But on giving it some thought I realized that my two current cats whom I rescued in tiny babyhood (one is 12, one is 1) are both frustratingly finicky, whereas the two who were rescued as adults are not, and I have no idea what they ate in their formative year.

So, is that coincidence? Are cats either born finicky or not finicky?  Or did I create their finickiness?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Finicky Cat: Nature or Nurture?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
I came to the (non-scientific) conclusion that felines that are fed a variety early on are less picky later.  The felines that came to us that were previously indoor/outdoor will eat ANYTHING.  Any flavor.  Any brand. Any texture.  I'm guessing since they ate, who knows what while outdoors, they are not finicky now.  They also have NO bodily function issues with any brands, flavors, or textures.  One more observation, they were the easiest to transition from dry to wet. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
Good question.

To avoid finicky cats, I went with heavy rotation (brands/flavors)~ and it seemed to work for a while.  After 4 years, TT has become picky.  Small meals seem to help though~ I feed four small meals per day and even at that, he can drive me insane.  Today at lunch I resorted to making little balls out of his food and placing them at his feet~ he happily ate each one until all the food was gone...  Food must taste better off the floor...   :-\

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
 cryingfunny

Food must taste better off the floor...   :-\

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
Food must taste better off the floor...   :-\

cat3

None of the farm cats like to eat off of plates.  All of them just eat off the floor (or wherever else they drag the meat too) - but it doesn't matter because it is a barn :-\

One of them prefers to eat while sitting on the roof of my car whistle1

I think that cats "imprint" on whatever food they are fed before they are 8-12 weeks old.  The more variety you can get them to eat when they are young, the less finicky they will be later on.  For Jezebel's kittens, who I raised from four weeks old, I gave them lots of variety of canned food, as well as feeding them a partial raw diet.  When they were around 12 weeks old, they went to the shelter I work at, so they could be adopted out.  The ones that went there, well, frustrated those who fed them.  They wouldn't eat dry food (score!).  Morey & Mitch are the two that I kept - and they think dry food is meant to play hockey with, not to eat :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:20:33 PM by Mo »

Offline Pinball

• Yapper
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:18:53 AM »
For some reason I've always had it in my head that kittens should be fed on only one or two foods, no snacks or treats or variety for at least their first six months (or longer), to help prevent finickiness, and so I have been advising people.

But on giving it some thought I realized that my two current cats whom I rescued in tiny babyhood (one is 12, one is 1) are both frustratingly finicky, whereas the two who were rescued as adults are not, and I have no idea what they ate in their formative year.

So, is that coincidence? Are cats either born finicky or not finicky?  Or did I create their finickiness?

Hmm, I have always thought, and research seems to back me up on this, that cats are naturally neophillic creatures - i.e. they will try new foods without any problem and that a finicky cat can be created by limiting exposure to different flavours and textures early on. To me variety is key  :)

Tags: