Author Topic: Sparkle Bar/Shampoo  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Sparkle Bar/Shampoo
« on: August 09, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
Any reason why this may not be a good idea?

Our Shampoo Recipes:

♥ Apple Cider Vinegar (for dogs and cats) An exceedingly simple formula for sensitive skin. Age-old apple cider vinegar is the perfect choice for both cats and dogs who tend to react to highly fragranced shampoos or harsher products.
Ingredients: Apple Cider Vinegar, Goat’s Milk, Saponified Oils of: Coconut, Karanja; Castor oil.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/sparkle-bar
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Sparkle Bar/Shampoo
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:00:58 PM »
Well if you want a comparison of it to something else, here you go:

http://dogtreatweb.com/sparkle-bar-vs-chubbs-bar/

From a human perspective.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »
And one of those oils might not be such a great thing if you're talking about using it on something that licks itself a lot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pongamia_oil

The oil is yellowish-orange to brown in color. It is toxic and will induce nausea and vomiting if eaten but it is used in many traditional remedies. Pongamia oil is antiseptic and resistant to pests. It has a high content of triglycerides, and its disagreeable taste and odor are due to bitter flavonoid constituents including karanjin, pongamol, tannin and karanjachromene.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
What an interesting review!  Maybe Lacy will share her soap with me.  :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »
And one of those oils might not be such a great thing if you're talking about using it on something that licks itself a lot:

That would have been my concern, that the oils would be ingested, but I was thinking of the coconut oil.  I'm not sure about the other two, but the ACV and goat's milk should be ok, IMO.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 08:24:33 AM »
DeeDee,
What do you use to wash your dogs? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:34:33 PM »
Vlad gets this regimen:

1. Top Performance Dark Beauty Shampoo

2. Bio-Groom - Wiry Coat Shampoo

3. #1 All Systems - B2 Lanolin Plus Conditioner

Barkly gets:

1. Top Performance True White Whitening Shampoo--on bottom of body

2. Top Performance Dark Beauty Shampoo--on top of body

3. Top Performance Shed Patrol Shampoo--all over--No Conditioner on him

I get their products at petedge.com, jefferspet.com, or showdogstore.com and I buy by the gallon.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:41 AM »
WOW!  How often do they get baths? 
My Lacy HATES the water and she doesn't stink.  So she only gets a bath every few months.  I won't tell you what I used to use.   :-[

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:50 AM »
In summer it's every time I need to use flea/tick medicine. I'm not having them adding treatment on top of treatment even though I'm now using Milk Thistle after treatments.

In winter, I bathe them about every 6-8 weeks. Depends on how much they've been rolling on the ground. I go by the feel of their coats and the look of their skin. But then, I also vacuum them with the hose every time I get the vacuum out, and I use an ionic brush on them daily.

They never stink unless they got into something nasty outside b/c they get coconut oil.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 10:12:17 AM »
BTW. . .When you buy by the gallon, all those shampoos are concentrated, so you mix it up in other bottles and the gallons last a LONG time. The bottles I've got right now, Barkly's had that white shampoo his whole life--4.5 years. I used Dannyboy's Bronze Luster on top of him while Danny was still alive.

The Shed Patrol he's had since he was 2, and the Dark Beauty Vlad's whole 3.5 years.

I've still got a half-gallon of Vlad's 2nd gallon of conditioner. but I use the conditioner full strength on his beard and fall. I wash his beard and fall first, and allow the conditioner to soak the whole time that I'm washing and conditioning the rest of him.

Generally each brand has it's own concentrated strength. Once you start doing the math, it's a lot less expensive this way.

If you have a dog that gets flaky, this shampoo works great too because it exfoliates and it smells really nice:   http://www.jefferspet.com/products/vanilla-walnut-cond-shampoo

If you notice, it's dilution is 8:1
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:15:21 AM by DeeDee »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »
Update:  I put the bar of soap in the master bath shower.  I didn't mention to anyone that it was bought as dog soap.  :)
Normally I can't change soap or shampoo, without going through a "reaction" period.  With this soap (used on body and hair), I had no issues. 
Rumor has it that Suave Clarifying shampoo gets out all the "junk" from hair and keeps gray hair white.  I am finding the results with this soap, to be the same.  Suave is 99 cents. Silly7

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
Suave Clarifying Shampoo is great for when your hair starts acting crazy b/c of buildup from styling products.

Tags: