Author Topic: Montmorillonite clay  (Read 11981 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Montmorillonite clay
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:52:24 AM »
Can someone please explain to me what this actually means?

Montmorillonite is a clay that is primarily colloidal silicate, which contains over 50 ultra-trace mineral compounds including Antimony, Barium, Beryllium, Boron, Bromine, Cadmium, Carbon, Cerium, Cesium, Chloride, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Dysprosium, Fluoride, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Iodine, Lanthanum, Lithium, Manganese, Neodymium, Nickel, Phosphorus, Rhenium, Rubidium, Samarium, Scandium, Silicon, Silver, Strontium, Sulfur, Tellurium, Thallium, Thorium, Tin, Titanium, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zinc, and Zirconium. Feed studies by the Veterinary Medical Diagnostics Laboratory at Texas A&M University have shown that Montmorillonite clays can sequester (bind) aflatoxins contained in grains and oilseeds.

It is an ingredient in Nature's variety instinct canned cat foods.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
Re: Montmorillonite clay
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
I found this:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5207353_herbal-clay-healing-cats.html

Opinions?  Anyone know anything about it?

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
http://www.eytonsearth.org/drinking-clay-internal-use.php <--Pro's/con's of ingesting clay for humans

Uses (other than for humans/pets)
Montmorillonite is used in the oil drilling industry as a component of drilling mud, making the mud slurry viscous which helps in keeping the drill bit cool and removing drilled solids. It is also used as a soil additive to hold soil water in drought prone soils, to the construction of earthen dams and levees and to prevent the leakage of fluids. It is also used as a component of foundry sand and as a desiccant to remove moisture from air and gases.

Similar to many other clays, montmorillonite swells with the addition of water. However, some montmorillonites expand considerably more than other clays due to water penetrating the interlayer molecular spaces and concomitant adsorption. The amount of expansion is due largely to the type of exchangeable cation contained in the sample. The presence of sodium as the predominant exchangeable cation can result in the clay swelling to several times its original volume. Hence, sodium montmorillonite has come to be used as the major constituent in non-explosive agents for splitting rock in natural stone quarries in order to limit the amount of waste, or for the demolition of concrete structures where the use of explosive charges is unacceptable.

This swelling property makes montmorillonite-containing bentonite useful also as an annular seal or plug for water wells and as a protective liner for landfills. Other uses include as an anti-caking agent in animal feed, in paper making to minimize deposit formation and as a retention and drainage aid component. Montmorillonite has also been used in cosmetics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »

From the introductory paragraph on Eytons Earth.
Using any type of earth internally, even well known therapeutic healing clays, is quite a daunting proposition for those unfamiliar with the nature of specialty clays. However, there is no doubt that the informed use of clays internally, coupled with dietary modifications, can accomplish healing and system support to a degree that no other substance can.

The key word "healing" tells me it is for occasional use, when one is ill.
The key phrase "informed use" tells me it requires knowledge beyond "here, drink this".
The key phrase "dietary modification" tells me exactly that... in order for this product to actually accomplish it's job, the diet will need to change (see also second point).

If pet food companies are adding this in food, it is not being used for "healing".
If pet food companies are adding this in food, do you really think they have done all their research?  Think on how many other "healthy" (for humans) ingredients have been added to pet food, only to discover later that they weren't that healthy for dogs & cats (carnivores!).
If pet food companies are adding this in food, something tells me they are not "modifying the diet" by changing any of their other ingredients.
If pet food companies are adding this in food, it's most likely to serve as a filler or binder.

2cents 2cents 2cents 2cents 2cents
(10 cents)
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »
Thanks both.  So that's that for NV.  I've never tried it, disliking it on principle, not sure why, have just always had an instictive dislike of Natures Variety.

So the search continues for some decent foods my kitten with the delicate digestive/bowel system kitty will eat that her little body will tolerate.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
MC, I can't remember if I've suggested this to you before, but in case I have not... you might want to take a look at IBDKitties.net. That site is a massive resource hub for anyone whose cats are encountering intestinal tract issues.

Good luck!!!! I hope you are able to find what you need for your little furface.  heartbeatgif

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:23:11 PM »
I actually know people who eat some sort of clay regularly for minerals. They bake it first, but...

I can't find anything about it being dangerous, so I wouldn't think a small amount for minerals would be a bad thing. The question is how much is in there.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks AC, yes I've been to the site a few times.  Her problems don't seem to follow along with most of what I read there on IBD.  Maybe IBS.  Or maybe just a sensitive system.

Mostly, in that site, I read the food list, but even on there, many of the foods have things "wrong" with them. BG for example has carrageenan, which the site recommends avoiding.  Fancy Feast classics, while they don't have wheat or gluten, have dye, sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate, and artificial things, including menadione. Nature's Variety has the clay stuff that prompted me starting this thread.

My biggest concern about the food she is eating now, Castor&Pollux Chicken and Vegetable Stew is the spinach.  It didn't occur to me before, but then I started worrying about the iodine, but then when I went researching, instead of seeing trouble with iodine,  I am reading about spinach being bad for cats because it is high in calcium and will cause oxalate crystals in her urine.  bangshead

It wouldn't be so hard if she wasn't so finicky, or...maybe not finicky, but maybe certain foods make her feel yucky.  On the other hand, I have trouble with that theory because she would kill for the Weruva or Soulistic foods, or anything with CORN, but all of those turn her bowels to water.

I think I might try the California Naturals for her again, which are on the food list of the IBD.net site..  She likes the venison and brown rice, but will eat it only once in a while.  I might try the chicken, too I don't think I've ever given her that. I know they are owned by P&G now, but I've got to feed her something!

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:12:51 PM »
My biggest concern about the food she is eating now, Castor&Pollux Chicken and Vegetable Stew is the spinach.  It didn't occur to me before, but then I started worrying about the iodine, but then when I went researching, instead of seeing trouble with iodine,  I am reading about spinach being bad for cats because it is high in calcium and will cause oxalate crystals in her urine.  bangshead

It wouldn't be so hard if she wasn't so finicky, or...maybe not finicky, but maybe certain foods make her feel yucky.  On the other hand, I have trouble with that theory because she would kill for the Weruva or Soulistic foods, or anything with CORN, but all of those turn her bowels to water.

I didn't realize that Castor & Pollux also has spinach.  Ibdkitties.net (as well as Dr. Lisa Pierson) convinced Weruva to take spinach out of what flavors had it.  Maybe Castor & Pollux would be willing to also do so, if several people asked?  It is worth a shot - as spinach IS bad for cats.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 03:02:34 AM »
Thanks AC, yes I've been to the site a few times.  Her problems don't seem to follow along with most of what I read there on IBD.  Maybe IBS.  Or maybe just a sensitive system.

I think I might try the California Naturals for her again, which are on the food list of the IBD.net site..  She likes the venison and brown rice, but will eat it only once in a while.  I might try the chicken, too I don't think I've ever given her that. I know they are owned by P&G now, but I've got to feed her something!

Forgive me if we've had this conversation before, but have you considered a commercial raw? There are none of the additives you find in canned or kibble products and the meat is in its most easily and thoroughly digestible form... which means your baby's digestive system gets more nutrition out of the food for less work.

Rad Cat and Feline's Pride have no grains, fruits or veggies, and Nature's Variety Instincts has a pathogen-free guarantee and only 5% fruits and veggies.

It might be worth trying...

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »
In a book I have about natural remedies for cats, it mentions bentonite clay, but nothing about montmorillonite clay.  Sorry.

IBDkitties isn't just for kitties with IBD.  It's a great resource for any cats that have tummy/digestive issues.  And while there may be issues with some of the foods listed there, IMO it's more important to find something your kitty will both eat and tolerate.  You can continue the search during that time.

I hope this helps!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »
Forgive me if we've had this conversation before, but have you considered a commercial raw? There are none of the additives you find in canned or kibble products and the meat is in its most easily and thoroughly digestible form... which means your baby's digestive system gets more nutrition out of the food for less work.

Rad Cat and Feline's Pride have no grains, fruits or veggies, and Nature's Variety Instincts has a pathogen-free guarantee and only 5% fruits and veggies.

It might be worth trying...

AC

While I am not anti-raw feeding in general, it is not an option at this time. :)

In a book I have about natural remedies for cats, it mentions bentonite clay, but nothing about montmorillonite clay.  Sorry.

IBDkitties isn't just for kitties with IBD.  It's a great resource for any cats that have tummy/digestive issues.  And while there may be issues with some of the foods listed there, IMO it's more important to find something your kitty will both eat and tolerate.  You can continue the search during that time.

I hope this helps!

Thank Pookie.  Yes, the website is very interesting and informative, though sometimes slightly contradictory, but I guess that is bound to happen when covering such a broad topic.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 07:44:41 AM »
I didn't realize that Castor & Pollux also has spinach.  Ibdkitties.net (as well as Dr. Lisa Pierson) convinced Weruva to take spinach out of what flavors had it.  Maybe Castor & Pollux would be willing to also do so, if several people asked?  It is worth a shot - as spinach IS bad for cats.

So how do I get IDBkitties and Dr Pierson to contact Castor&Pollux?  I've contacted them several times with questions and comments and only once have I ever received a reply.  And that was to tell me they "hadn't received any other complaints".

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:25 AM »
Hi MC,

If you go to the ibdkitties site, I think there's a "contact us" icon you can click to email her.  She's putting together a list of the foods that have spinach in them, and she can contact Dr. Pierson.  You can also contact Dr. Pierson directly via her website, catinfo.org.

I hope this helps!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: