Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40609 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 09:53:43 PM »
Were you able to reach the ER vet and if so, what did they say about the medication?

Nothing to add about the rest, but I'm sure Queen Eva will "get the message" at some point, if she hasn't already.  Listening and sending (((((HUGS)))))
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 05:34:20 AM »
I never did call, because she started doing much better with it yesterday.  I mean, it seemed to be lasting for the duration.  She already comes at the 8 hour mark for her next dose though.

Today I'll let the vets know my decision against surgery so I guess she will be started on the piroxicam. I thought she would go on prednisolone, but apparently the piroxicam is more effective, along with the gabapentin, for controlling pain and inflammation with this type of cancer. I am not very happy about using this class of drug on Jennie, I'm adamantly against it's casual use in cats, I've always said I never would except as a Last Resort, but well here we are at the Last Resort.

One of my problems with it is the vet's stated need for frequent blood work. I understand the need for this, generally speaking, but I am not sure it should be necessary with Jennie's situation. If she's going to be on it, let her be on it. The whole point, in my opinion, is to let her live out her life in peace and as pain free as possible. I don't want to be dragging her to the vet every 2 weeks for blood work. And I worry it will cause stomach pain and decrease her appetite. But of course won't know until I try it.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 06:34:24 AM »
Please discuss dosage, effects and side effects in detail with your vet as well as need for blood work and suggested intervals. Can you discuss it with a second vet?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 09:18:14 AM »
I am not very happy about using this class of drug on Jennie, I'm adamantly against it's casual use in cats, I've always said I never would except as a Last Resort, but well here we are at the Last Resort.

We do what we have to do, and you'll do what's best for her.   Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »
Jennie has cancer. Suspected carcinoma mass in the descending colon, enlarged lymph nodes near the mass give possible indication of spread.

Needle biopsy may or may not provide further diagnostics.  Only way to know for sure is to treat aggressively, meaning:  invasive surgery to remove the mass, lymph nodes and entire large bowel.

Or treat palliatively for quality of life.

Vet seemed to think Jennie is in some discomfort and has prescribed gabapentin while I think about how I want to proceed.

Regarding diet, since there was no difference regarding her stool (blood/texture/firmness/frequency) whether feeding raw or canned I should stick with canned to prevent another possible bacterial infection like she had with the campylobacter. Internal medicine vet did seem knowledgeable and accepting of raw diets, generally speaking, and raved about Jennie's coat.

That's all I can say for now.

:'(
I am so so SO very sorry!   HeadButt

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »
Thank you Lola.  Can you please move this thread to the cat health section.  I split it off from the original thread but do not have the capability of moving it to another section. It's still in raw feeding

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 07:07:03 PM »
I didn't move it earlier, because I wasn't sure what you meant by "cat health" section.  Then I forgot to ask you about it... kinda over-whelmed with sadness for Jennie.  My heart just breaks for all of you.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 07:21:41 PM »
Don't we have a section for cat health? Sorry! Hold on let me see

I guess I mean general cat care. It certainly doesn't belong under raw feeding.   ;)

I appreciate everyone's sympathy but I can't be sad right now.  I have to just focus on taking care of Jennie and making sure she's happy.  I also have to take care of the other two, they are feeling neglected especially Queen Eva. I've been through this before. I mean, chronic illness. Unfortunately I am older and tireder now so it is more difficult to manage.  Sad has to wait until it's over.  I don't want sad in the house, Jennie and the other two need happy and cheerful.

Which considering how stressed I am over other stuff, isn't easy!  funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 05:44:18 AM »
Sorry. I suppose I sound ungrateful.  I'm not. It's just that everyone keeps focusing on "how long". The vets, people at work...it's like I am the only one who is thinking about Jennie, instead of me. This isn't about me and how long I can keep her with me. It's only about how well Jennie feels.

I learned this lesson from Ootay. I worked so hard to keep Ootay alive.  To keep her feeling well too of course, but I was desperate to keep her going, for Tolly.  Because of how he grieved and pined when Bibbs died I was terrified to lose Ootay.  It wasn't until years later that I started looking back and wondering if I dd the right thing by her.  And oncee I started thinking about it I swore I would never do that again.

Then Tolly. 19 days from diagnosis to Angel.  He was okay until the last couple of days when the fluid became so much he coudln't really move any more and he stopped eating.  Even the day before he was still taking an interest. He had only completely stopped eating for one day, the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and the last thing to "try" was to drain the fluid. Draining the fluid, as expected, sent his kidneys into acute failure and he had a miserable night, before I could let him go the next morning.

I just can't stand being the cause of any suffering with my cats.  I just can't stand to think of them suffering. I will do all I can to keep Jennie feeling well, but I am not thinking about "how long". I just can't think that way.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 08:37:42 AM »
No, you do not sound ungrateful. the questions are natural reactions. Being a caretaker is a responsibility. Being a caretaker in your current situation is a very big responsibility and folks here want you to know that you are not alone. You can handle things and have done so but it does not hurt to know that.

Yes, it is not the time to be sad but to enjoy the day while you keep her comfortable and include the others. Nose scratches fur the furries and a hug for you!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 04:22:14 PM »
Thank you {{Threestep}}}.  You're right it is natural for people to ask "How long" but..it hurts me somehow to be asked that. I don't suppose my reaction is normal, since it's the first question everyone asks.  I know it's not someone trying to hurt me, it's all on me, my reaction. I'm glad I have this safe place to say that though, most people wouldn't understand, but I feel safe with you ladies.

Just ordered Jennie's prescriptions.  Because they both have to be specially compounded, they are not cheap. They should be here in 3 days, hopefully just in time for me to give her her first piroxicam when I can be around to watch her.

She looks very uncomfortable this afternoon. She had her pain med in her food and ate it all so I don't know.....appetite is still okay. No more song and dance, (thankfully I do have some video of that on this computer somewhere) but at least she eats.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 05:06:38 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 06:07:06 PM »
Queen Eva has been listening to me and is starting to control her own actions around Jennie better.  At least while I am here anyway.  This morning as Jennie started down the stairs I saw Queen Eva get ready to bolt over there too.  Suddenly she stopped and looked at me then took herself over to the other side of the room instead.  I praised her and thanked her.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »
Check with local pharmacies, the smaller the better, about compounding. Prices can vary greatly.

How about "I appreciate you asking but at this time everything is still wide open." A polite answer and out not encouraging responses.

You can always vent. Please do not burn up my IPad!

Good news today - she is eating and not refusing her meds.

How are you doing? Dinner?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
Queen Eva has been listening to me and is starting to control her own actions around Jennie better.  At least while I am here anyway.  This morning as Jennie started down the stairs I saw Queen Eva get ready to bolt over there too.  Suddenly she stopped and looked at me then took herself over to the other side of the room instead.  I praised her and thanked her.

Headbonks to Queen Eva!   thumbsup1

Tags: