Author Topic: She has the digestion of a GOAT  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
She has the digestion of a GOAT
« on: April 12, 2014, 07:55:53 AM »
Jennie...my gosh.  I cut up chicken thigh last night.  As I pulled the skin off I placed it in the sink.  Before disposing of it I sprayed the skin heavily with vinegar (to control odor in the trash). Then, using a paper towel, I picked it all up out of the sink and put it in the half-gallon milk carton I keep on the back of the sink for yuck disposal (coffee grounds, carrot peeling, drain contents and so on) 

In the bottom of the milk carton were coffe grounds, then carrot peelings, then this vinegar soaked chickn skin wrapped in paper towel.  My mistake: I forgot to remove the milk carton to the trash bag in the cupboard.  But really, since the fat was soaked in vinegar it should have been safe from cats.

Wrong.

This morning I got up to the carton tipped over into the sink, carrot peels and coffee grounds all over the floor and paper towels with holes chewed in them..and not a trace of chicken skin. Not a trace.

I have no idea when she did it.  It was after 3 a.m. because that is what time I got up and fed Mazy cat her middle of the night meal (didn't go to bed until 1:30 because I was reading in bed).

She was in bed, sound asleep, when I got up at 7.

She shows no gastric distress at all.  I hope and pray she did not eat any coffee grounds, they WERE the bottom layer. She shows no signs of caffeine poisoning either.

But, my gosh, what kind of a cat eats chicken fat soaked in vinegar?

I searched the house for vomit..none.  No diarrhea (yet).  I am going to feed her very lightly today. And I gave her an extra probiotic.

I know it was Jennie because neither Mazy nor Queen Eva would do such a thing, and even if they did, they would be sick, very sick, from it.

PS Jennie once ate a paper towel soaked in hamburger grease, stolen by the same method.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: She has the digestion of a GOAT
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
Well the PH of white vinegar is about the same as apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar use is often encouraged in animals AND humans.  I actually put a couple of tablespoons of it on the boys' food 3x a week. They have no problems eating their meat when it's had vinegar put on it. So, I wouldn't expect a cat to have problems eating it either.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
You are pretty smart to think of caffeine poisoning...I don't know if I would have thought of that. 

How is Jennie doing today? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
The End of the Story:

I took them out today for the first time of the season.  Jennie ate a bunch of grass, then brought it back up.  In the regurge of grass was THE CHICKEN SKIN.  Looked pretty much like ALL of it, plus a little bit of her breakfast.  So that stuff has been sitting in her stomach since early yesterday morning, from all appearances, not causing her any discomfort. I am actually greatly relieved that she brought it all back out instead of digesting it.

bananamiddlechild

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
So much for her having the digestion of a goat.  ;) 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »
LOL! Well, really, having it sit in her stomach like that is very goat like.  Goats can "eat anything" but they don't digest some things, the stuff just sits in there not causing any problems, but not being digested either..or so I have read.

There were no coffee grounds (or carrot peelings) in there either.  I picked it apart thoroughly.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
LOL! Well, really, having it sit in her stomach like that is very goat like.  Goats can "eat anything" but they don't digest some things, the stuff just sits in there not causing any problems, but not being digested either..or so I have read.

There were no coffee grounds (or carrot peelings) in there either.  I picked it apart thoroughly.  funny2

Hey, at least you know what is what... no guess work! 

Tags: