Author Topic: It just keeps getting better (getting off the c/d saga continued)  (Read 29811 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: It just keeps getting better (getting off the c/d saga continued)
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:53 AM »
I'm sorry.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
Thanks, but what the hey, you're struggling with a similar issue, as is Lola.  At least none of us struggle alone.  The good news is that I am sure this is "just" a hairball issue, I do think her body has recovered from the years of awful food. If she has to have the hairball gunk, along with the pumpkin, so be it.  But at least she won't need it as often, at least I hope not.

She's actually been letting me run a comb down her back two or three times at a session, which is an incredible step forward, so that will help a little. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Still regurgitating.  But it's supper now, not breakfast.  So last night she again got double doses of hair ball remedy, instead of her final meals and a pepcid this morning, and she kept her breakfast down.

Guess I'm going to have to keep her on the hairball remedy for the shedding season, in spite of the pumpkin.  So Frustrating.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
 grouphug grouphug grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
The hairball remedy and Pepcid can't be worse than some of the ingredients in commercial food.  I know that is choosing the lessor of the evils, but... :-\

kisses3
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 06:43:32 AM »
Thanks for your support you guys.  This morning she had her pepcid and first meal and...BURPED instead of regurgitating.  All along, I think her problem is always that she needs to burp, but to her it feels like she has to bring it all up, from the regurgitating c/d habit.  So hopefully a few more days on the pepcid will get her burping instead of regurgitating again and we can get back on track.

But I'm going to continue with the hair ball gunk, maybe she just won't need it as often.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2012, 01:50:31 AM »
I may have more info about this coconut oil for cats. Waiting for some refrences. It is something to do with the Long chain fatty acids being bad, not Medium chain fatty acids. I will post this in the Coconut Oil discussion that we had ok :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2012, 08:44:22 AM »
Coconut oil is BAD for cats!  I have a thread here on it somewhere.  I had started using it for my cats, right before my Sweet Boy died of cancer.  I was horrified that I might have caused the illness by giving him the coconut oil.

Let me find the thread.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
I am  POSITIVE I posted these before, in this forum, but cannot find the thread so here they are again, my vet got this information and printed it out for me

I THINK she got the info from the Vet school web pages at UC Davis, but the information may have been from a restricted site (restricted to veterinarians I mean) medium chain oils should not be used in cats

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
Hi MC yes I have shared those with someone and they also found more info about it on the vet site.
Is the coconut oil you used pure organic extra virgin? Still waiting for more info from a friend.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
Yes.  this brand which was recommended to me in another cat forum.

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-15-Ounce/dp/B001EO5Q64/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334512468&sr=8-2

My vet feels that the short time my cats were on the coconut oil had no bearing on his cancer. The opinion of the oncologist was that the cancer had been in him for awhile, there is no knowing what caused it to suddenly blossom into what it became at the end. The girls had no adverse reactions for the short time they were on it, though none of them have had blood-work yet, since then. My boy had a lifetime history of illness, including the dental disease resorptive lesions (FORL), seizure disorder, herpes eyes and what I called his periodic  "hair ball sickness".

Can you share the additional info with us?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »
Thanks for your support you guys.  This morning she had her pepcid and first meal and...BURPED instead of regurgitating.  All along, I think her problem is always that she needs to burp, but to her it feels like she has to bring it all up, from the regurgitating c/d habit.  So hopefully a few more days on the pepcid will get her burping instead of regurgitating again and we can get back on track.

But I'm going to continue with the hair ball gunk, maybe she just won't need it as often.

Okay.  I've got her back on hairball remedy.  Every three days.  Stopped the pepcid.  She is burping, but keeping the food down.   When she burps I tell her how wonderful and clever she is to burp instead of regurgitate.

She probably could benefit from continued use of the pepcid, but I just don't want her on it long term. I meant to give her some this morning but forgot, and she burped on her own.

Sunday I had them out in the yard and she gobbled the grass up and then brought it back up.  I wish she would always bring the grass back up.  I worry that it is sitting in her stomach, when she doesn't.  The other grass eater did not bring hers up either, but she never has stomach problems of any kind, and her constipation has been solved with the pumpkin.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
Gosh I just get so discouraged sometimes.  She's still regurgitating several times a week.  There is no pattern to it. No special time of day, no particular span of hours in between meals, no particular food (she only gets two), some times fur in it sometimes not, sometimes projectile, sometimes not. She is having daily bowel movements normally, her urine pH is staying between 6.25 and 6.75.

I wish I could learn to handle it better, but I get soooo upset and lose control and cry like an idiot.  Part of the problem is because she runs as she pukes, so she leaves a long trail of it all over the freaking carpets.  In spite of regular shampooing this apartment smells like a dump, because there is so much puke in the carpets. And of course cleaning it up every time is a major chore.

She has her 6 month check up next week.  I'm going to push for an x ray to see if there is something weird about her esophagus.  And if the vet wants her on pepcid (which helps, but I hate using it) the vet will have to agree to provide me with B-12 syringes. If it's a motility issue we're looking at cisapride, I suppose.  I just feel so so so low about this.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
 grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug CatPurr CatPurr

I'm so sorry.  Just out of curiosity, are you still giving pumpkin?  Pookie was still having hairballs so I've had to keep him on the pumpkin, though now it's once a day instead of twice.  If she still gets the pumpkin, then I'm stumped.   :(

Is there a holistic vet near you that you could try?  I know they're hard to find, depending on where you're located.

I wish I could learn to handle it better, but I get soooo upset and lose control and cry like an idiot.  Part of the problem is because she runs as she pukes, so she leaves a long trail of it all over the freaking carpets.  In spite of regular shampooing this apartment smells like a dump, because there is so much puke in the carpets. And of course cleaning it up every time is a major chore.

Been there, still doing that on occasion. It wears you down, esp. when you don't know how to help.  It's very upsetting to see our furkids having problems.  For what it's worth, you're not alone, sweetie.  We're here for you.   grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug CatPurr CatPurr

I'm so sorry.  Just out of curiosity, are you still giving pumpkin?  Pookie was still having hairballs so I've had to keep him on the pumpkin, though now it's once a day instead of twice.  If she still gets the pumpkin, then I'm stumped.   :(

Is there a holistic vet near you that you could try?  I know they're hard to find, depending on where you're located.

Been there, still doing that on occasion. It wears you down, esp. when you don't know how to help.  It's very upsetting to see our furkids having problems.  For what it's worth, you're not alone, sweetie.  We're here for you.   grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes

Thank you SO MUCH for your support.  When I came home tonight the stench of the vomit was still very strong.  Regurgitated food should not smell that bad, which tells me that her earlier meal was still churning in her stomach and came up, too.  So...this seems more like a digestive issue.

yes, she is still getting the pumpkin.  She gets one tablespoon split between three meals a day.  She is getting hairball gunk every four or five days.  Early this morning there was a puddle of vomit with bits of fur mats in it, which I suspected was hers. There was no fur in the regurgitation.  She kept the nugget of S&C down and her first supper meal down, too. I had given her a pepcid (1/4 tablet) after her regurgitation.

She gets a probiotic every night.

So, maybe it's not an esophagus problem, maybe it's still the same old issue, her system is just so messed up from all those years on the c/d she is still producing too much acid in her tummy at times.

If my vet suggests another prescription food I'll strangle her. funny2

Wait till she hears I'm starting to feed raw, a little.   ;).  Well the freeze dried/rehydrated version anyway.  Actually, I don't even know what her thoughts are on raw, we've never discussed it.  But we will be discussing it, next week!

PS No holistic vets within a hundred miles or more.