Author Topic: Pookie's Vet Visit  (Read 76545 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Pookie's Vet Visit
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
 :o  Oh, my head . . . :D

What I think I'll do, is give him 1/8 of a (5.5 oz) can for each meal.  He was getting 1/8 can for the first 2 meals (morning and evening) with the remaining 1/4 can for the 3rd meal, all spread about 35-40 minutes apart.  The first 1/8 was to make sure he'd keep it down, then I would add the supplements to the remaining 2 meals.  This way I can still give him the first (let's see if his tummy is calm) meal, and add the supplements over 2 more meals.  It just . . . doesn't seem like much food to me.  But after the vet visit, I took an objective look at him and realized he doesn't have much of a "waist" and when I pet him, I don't really feel his ribs.   :(  So he definitely could slim down a bit.

Since rabbit is a lean meat, I was thinking of continuing to feed the full can, since that's every 5 days and he loves it, plus it's carageenan-free  thumbsup1.  The bedtime snacks are always raw, and the commercial foods are portioned at 1 oz.  The others weren't weighed, so they may be more than 1 oz (1 turkey tender, which varies in size, 3, 4 or 5 raw chicken hearts, and 3 raw gizzards cut up small).  There's not much I can do about what's already portioned, but going forward I can weigh those as I portion them.  Does this all sound like it's still too much, when added to the amount of canned?  Or should I just go with this for now and see how things go?

Maybe I'm focusing too much on this, but I do think the pumpkin may have added to his weight.  It's the only carb he was getting, and now that he's not shedding as much (knock on wood), I've stopped it, though I'm still giving the lecithin.  I haven't really fed the canned duck in a while, either, which is high in fat.  He just doesn't care for it and it takes too long to get him to eat it.

No, I don't have a baby scale.  I would use my scale, weigh myself, pick him up, weigh again and subtract the difference.  But since we're tracking ounces, that method won't work, so I'll look for one.

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »
I use this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009KX5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love it!  I have a friend who got hers from freecycle, so if cost is an issue you might go that route.

HAHA!  Yes my feeding routine does sound complicated, but it really isn't, now that I am used to it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »
When is Pookie going in for his dental?  Have you made any decisions on the meds?  Is the vet "open" to you requesting the non-use of one...and then suggesting another? 

For weight loss... I went with a simple plan (for a simple mind ;) )... I just fed a tiny bit less food, for a few weeks.  I have a postal scale that I use.  When I am watching their weight for a reason, or anytime I make changes in their food... everyone has to weigh in every two weeks.  If there isn't a "reason" to weigh in... everyone gets weighed every 3 months. 

I meant to comment earlier, about your vet feeding raw.  AWESOME!!!!! 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:55:44 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
I haven't scheduled it yet, because I'm still trying to figure out what other anti-inflammatory could be used instead of the Onsior.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to schedule it soon, but am not comfortable with him getting an NSAID.  When I schedule, I want to be able to provide alternatives rather than saying no to something, period.

Is a baby scale (or human scale) that weighs .1 increments ok?  For example, 14.9 -- or is that not accurate enough?  Something like this:  http://www.target.com/p/weight-watchers-body-fat-scale/-/A-14430432?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14430432&CPNG=Bath&kpid=14430432&LID=23pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14430432&kpid=14430432&gclid=CPWQpYyx-8ACFUVo7Aodl1sAYw.  I'm not going to find anything in a store around here that goes beyond that.  I try to avoid online ordering whenever possible, but will if there are no other options.

I think I'll cut him down to 3/4 of 5.5 oz can a day to start and see how things go.  fingerscrossed

Thanks, all!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 10:28:41 PM »
But that's a scale for adults.  I don't know if something like that would be sensitive enough to weigh cats.  That's why baby scales are recommended.  They aren't designed to weigh up to 400 pounds.  they are designed to weigh up to about 40 pounds I think.

Plus, much easier to put the whole cat on, because of the shape.  Surely target has a baby section where you can buy a bay scale, if you prefer to buy local retail?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 06:16:29 AM »
They might, though I think they might only be available online (but I can double-check), but again, they weight 10.1 or something like that.  Is that sensitive enough?

I may check Staples for postal scales.  The issue is that Pookie is also a long kitty, so he needs to be able to get on it.  I'm not sure a postal scale will be big enough.

Any suggestions to replace the (anti-inflammatory) Onsior?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
i put the cats in a box, and then weigh them...subtract the box weight.  Im not recommending a postal scale.  I just happen to have one on hand. :)

Why is the anti-inflammatory being recommended?

I also have a WW people scale...not the one you linked to.  With me holding Arrows, and then subtracting my weight...there was one ounce difference, when he was weighed at the vet's later within the same day. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:16:15 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »

I was wondering the same thing.  Is Onisor that new NSAID that has been approved for use in cats after surgery? I read soemthign about that a while back, let me see if I can find the reference.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
Found it:

5/18/2014 - "As far as Metacam, there is now an approved oral NSAID for cats, approved for post-surgical use. Brand new so I'd avoid it until it has been in use for a while. FDA testing for animal drugs involves a very small number of test animals and is not done long term (the reason is that testing is so expensive that if they used large numbers of test subjects and/or did long term studies nobody would be able to afford the drug), once a drug has been on the market 6-12 months and has been used in zillions of animals the less common adverse reactions become known."

http://trends.aahanet.org/VetNewsArt...6-631861244eae

My reply (it's an old thread in another forum)

I notice in the article that this drug, which is manufactured by Norvartis Animal Heath and goes by the name Onsior has been used in Europe since 2009.

Your advice on waiting until it's been out and used for a while is sound, thank you for that. There are already safe short term pain drugs available for post operative pain, though they are opiates, not anti-inflammatory.

In time, hopefully Onsior (robenacoxib) will prove to be safe, and able to be used for long term pain management in cats because that's whats really needed, for cats. A safe or cats NSAID that can be used for chronic pain management.  PS the link isn't working so I've reposted it

http://trends.aahanet.org/VetNewsArt...6-631861244eae

Nope the links don't work..let me see what else it out there about this medication

http://us.onsior.com/

this from the FDA

What is ONSIOR?
ONSIOR (robenacoxib) tablets are a prescription non-narcotic, non-steroidal anti-
inflammatory (NSAID) of the coxib class. ONSIOR (robenacoxib) tablets are for the
control
of postoperative pain and inflammation associated with orthopedic surgery
(declaw), ovariohysterectomy (spay) and castration (neuter) in cats greater than
or equal to 5.5 pounds (2.5 kg) and greater than or equal to 6 months of age; for
a maximum of 3 days.

Your cat received the first dose of ONSIO

Nothing about dentals in there

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/Products/ApprovedAnimalDrugProducts/DrugLabels/UCM304417.pdf

I'm not finding any negative comments about this medication, so far.  I don't know if that's because it really is safe, or it's just not being used much

Here are two reviews from petmeds.com

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Onsior+for+Cats-prod11333.html

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
Thanks for the links, MC!

I would imagine there will be swelling after the surgery.  This isn't just a cleaning, several teeth were broken but the roots are still there and need to be removed to prevent abcess, plus some teeth may need to be pulled.  Wouldn't an anti-inflammatory be needed for that kind of work?

I also have a WW people scale...not the one you linked to.  With me holding Arrows, and then subtracting my weight...there was one ounce difference, when he was weighed at the vet's later within the same day. 

The one I saw at Wal_Mart included BMI, bone density (I think) and a bunch of other stuff.  It measures .1 lb but I didn't know if that's accurate enough.  I still don't.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:02:49 PM by Pookie »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »

I would imagine there will be swelling after the surgery.  This isn't just a cleaning, several teeth were broken but the roots are still there and need to be removed to prevent abcess, plus some teeth may need to be pulled.  Wouldn't an anti-inflammatory be needed for that kind of work?

It depends on the vet's beliefs. 

As far as a scale...I personally am okay with a good brand that is capable of weighing ounces. 

I will weigh a cat on my postal scale and also weigh on my people scale...see if the figures are the same.  BRB in a few...
That theory is out the window.  There was more than a pound difference.  I would trust the postal scale, over the human scale. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:06:28 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
The baby scale weighs to the half ounce.  For instance Mazy weighed in at 9 lbs 14 1/2 ounces on Monday. That's exactly how it reads on the scale display 9  14 1/2.

At the vet, the scale weighs in pounds and tenths.  So Mazy would probably present as 9.9 pounds or 10 pounds at the vet.

I prefer pounds and ounces as opposed to tenths for weighing cats.  My food scale weighs in tenths and that's fine.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »
Thanks.  I guess I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of this.

In your opinion, by cutting 1/4 of the 5.5 oz can, is that too much to cut at once, do you think?  Should I start by cutting it down by 1/8th of a can instead, and then go from there?   :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 08:46:07 PM »
1/4 of a 5.5 ounce can would be about 1.4 ounces (rounding up).  I think that is a lot to reduce a cat by all at once.  I would start by reducing Pookie by no more than a half ounce a day.  After two weeks if the weight gain continues, or there is no loss , decrease by another .25 ounces. Did you say you have a food scale?  I don't remember.  In my opinion, you really do need one if you want to be exacting.

This is also why, in my opinion, you need a scale for weighing Pookie that weighs in ounces rather than tenths. But that is because, you know, that is the way I do it, so I can't properly envision any other way.  If you are going by tenths of pounds rather than ounces, and you aim for half a pound a month, I guess that would be about 1 tenth pound a week loss, or 4 tenths of a pound a month.  A bit slower even than half a pound, but slwoer is always better than too fast of course.

I hope I am making sense to you.  I am really happy that I bought the Salter baby scale so many years ago.  It's paid for itself in peace of mind over and over. There is never any guessing "has she lost weight?" or "Goodness she looks like she's getting too heavy". No guess work.  When it comes to my cats, I don't like to guess.  HeadButt

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Thanks, MC.  My head is swimming right now (but then, I also have a headache).  I'm guessing reducing by 1/8th of a can is still too much (.6875)?  Given that, right now I have no idea how to do this and keep it simple.  I do have a food scale, but I don't see how I can measure the canned food, esp. while he's begging for breakfast or dinner.  I'm sorry if I sound cranky, I just . . . am overwhelmed.   pullingouthair

Tags: