Author Topic: Pookie's Vet Visit  (Read 76538 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Pookie's Vet Visit
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
{{{{Pookie}}}} hugs.  You are not being a drama queen here.  This is traumatic stuff you are going through.

Sure clindamycin is strong. So what?  Pills can be split, if she thinks the dose is too high.  I would take clindamycin or Baytril over convenia.  In fact all my cats' charts are labeled NO CONVENIA.  They are also labeled NO clavamox, no metacam and no ketamine anesthesia.

Now the vet says there is no infection, after putting you through all this?

The danger of bacterial contamination is real, in dental work.  The mouth is a very dirty place.  This is why Tolly was always pre/post medicated.  He started his clindamycin three days before the dental (he had FORL, so had frequent extractions during dentals)  Remember that Tolly had a lot wrong with him.  Seizures that he took phenobarbital for, herpes, episodes of diarrhea and vomiting, where he would have to go 3 days without any food because he couldn't keep it down (I would give him fluids during these episodes)

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk you into anything.  I think waiting, and letting Pookie settle down and get back to normal is the right decision for now.  I don't blame you for crying, this is such a difficult time for you.

But..I have to say this...they feel our stress, so Pookie is going to be upset when you are.  Try to cry out in the car or something...as often as you can.  xxx

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »
But..I have to say this...they feel our stress, so Pookie is going to be upset when you are.  Try to cry out in the car or something...as often as you can.  xxx

I know.  I try to do it in the shower, and yesterday I did a lot of it at work.  I'm sure my co-workers were wondering what the whacko was upset about.   :D

Thankfully, he seems back to normal.  He's back on his feeding schedule, kept his food down yesterday, and had a bowel movement and a good-size clump of urine in the litter box.  He also seems to have "forgiven" me for the most part.

Now the vet says there is no infection, after putting you through all this?

I'm not sure, but that's the impression I'm getting.  I'm so confused, and this is what bugs me about vets.  I specifically asked, after he couldn't tolerate the clavamox, if he really needed the antibiotic, and they told me yes.  Then yesterday the vet says we could do the dental without the antibiotic, mentioned it being preventative, etc.  I was so upset about his lack of appetite yesterday morning, and the fact that he'd had such a lousy Sunday, that I didn't even think to ask "so does he have an infection or not?"

Part of me wants to go by what Dr. Pierson says, and the other vet that she linked to -- that antibiotics are rarely needed.  But since I don't know what to look for (and Pookie wouldn't let me look in his mouth, anyway), I have no way of knowing if he truly does have an infection and that's why I went with what the vet said.  Now I'm thinking a 2nd opinion may be in order.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for being so understanding.  You have no idea how much I appreciate it.  grouphug  :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »

I'm not sure, but that's the impression I'm getting.  I'm so confused, and this is what bugs me about vets.  I specifically asked, after he couldn't tolerate the clavamox, if he really needed the antibiotic, and they told me yes.  Then yesterday the vet says we could do the dental without the antibiotic, mentioned it being preventative, etc. 

They recommend antibiotics before and after dentals b/c pets, just like humans, can get heart disease from oral disease. Sharkly broke a tooth once, and it turned into an abscess. They wanted the tooth out ASAP, but he had to have antibiotics after, and that's what I was told. They said they needed antibiotics usually before and after dental work because of the heart disease possibility even if noticeable disease isn't visible. Scrubbing around the gums, and especially pulling teeth, can cause the bacteria to enter the bloodstream.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
It's interesting the differing opinions out there.  This is the link that Dr. Pierson has on her site.  He specializes in veterinary dentistry and apparently doesn't use antibiotics very often:  http://www.toothvet.ca/PDFfiles/Antibiotics.pdf

Regular vet's office called this morning asking if I could bring Pookie in for bloodwork, as the vet was going over his file and thought they should do that prior to the surgery due to his age.  (My impression from the estimate was that they would do it during the surgery.)  I stated that I'd spoken to the vet yesterday and I'd cancelled the surgery.  She wasn't aware and the vet hadn't said anything.  *sigh*   bangshead  So it's a good thing they called.

I just booked the holistic vet for Friday.  fingerscrossed

As a side note, last night I did a very quick check back on the past food logs.  I don't think he every got any medications other than pepcid.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:39:24 PM by Pookie »

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
I am sorry you are going through all this, and I hope things go well with the holistic vet.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
Just catching up.  SO sorry you and Pookie are gong through SO much!!! 
No, you weren't being a drama queen... lots going on.   group hug
All blood work, for ours, was done before the dental cleanings and/or surgery.  Nothing was done, before the results came back.  But maybe your vet can get results on the spot.  ??
I (personally) would lean towards antibiotics... if you can find one that Pookie can tolerate... not convenia.  None of the cats were given antibiotics before or after...and all had some serious issues.  I didn't think about it, because my vet didn't suggest it.  All went well.
HOWEVER, I had an elderly dog (many years ago) that didn't do so well after a dental cleaning only...and he wasn't given antibiotics before or after.  I do NOT know if his issues were related to the lack of antibiotics... but from stuff I have been reading lately...I wouldn't rule it out. 
I believe antibiotics are often overly prescribed.  BUT Pookie hasn't been given them before or at least not often.  With the condition of his mouth/teeth... I would continue to shoot for finding and antibiotic (or holistic version) that he can tolerate. 
Just my two cents. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
Holistic vet confirmed, he will need an antibiotic after the surgery.  She ruled out colloidal silver as an antibacterial option.  While he was there, they did the bloodwork (I don't know why the regular vet didn't do it while he was there for the check-up.  They called the day before he was supposed to go in to ask if I could bring him in for the bloodwork but I was at work and had cancelled the dental anyway).  The holistic vet's office will fax the results to the regular vet.

I've scheduled Pookie's dental for Wednesday.  I was lucky to squeak him in, and the vet is out next week so if it doesn't happen this week, he'd have to wait 2 more weeks.

I had brought the supplements with me that he gets, and the holistic vet ok'd them.  I had wanted to add a vitamin C supplement with bioflavanoids, which is apparently good for gum health, and she ok'd that.  She also gave me an omega 3 supplement to try for it's anti-inflammatory properties.  I had tried salmon oil in the past, but Pookie didn't care for it.  This one is wild anchovy and shrimp (I think) so maybe he'll like this one.  fingerscrossed

I pray with all my heart that he can tolerate the Baytril.  I had read about an IV of ampicillin, and mentioned that, which could be followed by the Baytril, and she ok'd that, but I'm wondering . . . it's in the penicillin family.  Would he be able to tolerate it since it's bypassing his GI tract, or would it be better to go with injectible Baytril and follow that with the tablets?

Oh, my head . . .

On the positive side, Pookie's rabies titer result came back.  He's covered!!!  multistars

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I would avoid all penicillin drugs.   I would stick with baytril..  I am not telling you what to do, and won't judge you if you make a different choice from mine.

Does he need the injection too?  Can't just start on the pills a couple days before the surgery and finish the course after?

Anchovy and shrimp eh>? Sounds interesting.  Is anchovy a crustacean?  That's why I use the krill oil instead of salmon for my cats, for the anti-inflammatory benefit.  (I take it myself, too)

It did take my girls some time to accept the krill, but they all eat in in their food, now.

What were the numbers on the titer?  Does your state recognize titer in place of vaccination?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I would avoid all penicillin drugs.   I would stick with baytril..  I am not telling you what to do, and won't judge you if you make a different choice from mine.

No, I appreciate your input, esp. since I don't seem to think too clearly in these kinds of situations.  On the one hand, assuming that he'd be able to handle it because it bypasses the GI system, the IV would be temporary and out of his system quickly, but on the other hand, if there's a chance that he'll have a problem with it, it might be best to avoid it.

The injection would be during the surgery.  I have to talk to the vet about the Baytril, but my impression from the office person is that they want the bloodwork results first before that converation happens.  I have a hunch they won't do the surgery without the results, and I plan to follow up with the holistic vet on Monday to make sure they fax the results over.  If all goes well, then my chat with the regular vet will include "testing" Pookie on the Baytril to see if he can handle it.  But if we don't have time, the injection might be an option, followed by the tablets.

Anchovies are a fish.

I don't think she gave me the numbers (if she didn't, it wasn't clear what she said), but she said he didn't need the shot.  Sadly, my state doesn't recognize the titer, but at least I have peace of mind that he's covered (honestly, I figured he was).  If he wasn't, I would have had them give him the Purevax, well after he'd recovered from the dental.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2014, 04:13:26 PM »
To clarify, the Omega 3 that the holistic vet gave me has wild anchovies and sardines, not shrimp.   :-[

Rabies titer was 2.8.  The range is .1 - 15

His bloodwork came back -- everything looks good.  Organs, etc. all normal.  Whew!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
Excellent news!  How long has it been since Pookie had a rabies shot?  Queen Eva's titer was 12 last year.  I didn't do it this year. Yet.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2014, 06:47:39 PM »
Excellent news!  How long has it been since Pookie had a rabies shot?  Queen Eva's titer was 12 last year.  I didn't do it this year. Yet.

It was in 2008, so 6 years ago.  He'd had one every year up until that point.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »
Sounds like things are moving ahead, fairly smoothly, for Pookie.   thumbsup1 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator