Author Topic: Am I going to have to give up drinking milk?  (Read 6520 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Am I going to have to give up drinking milk?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
I've always hated milk, but almost always buy it in the plastic jugs... maybe that is why I hate it. 

Could be! 

I have always loved milk.  When I went to college, I went crazy suddenly having all the milk I could drink, for the first time in my life, wow!  funny2

And it was always so cold and so good. (It was also the first time I ever had butter.  I grew up with margarine)

When we were kids, whoever's turn it was to set the table also had the responsibility of putting the milk in the freezer at least a half an hour before supper.  I suppose that is because we usually had the powdered milk, and it's a lot better when it's really really cold. Heaven help anyone who forgot, the rest of us would give him or her hell.

I wonder if anyone else remember's that. I'll have to ask.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »
Heaven help anyone who forgot, the rest of us would give him or her hell.

That is funny! 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 05:49:24 PM »
Ya know that chunk of bacon fat in some brands of canned baked beans... whoever served dinner would serve that chunk of fat to the sibling that they least liked at the moment.  None of us liked that chunk and we HAD to eat everything on our plates.  Getting even was never so sweet!  lol

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 05:52:10 PM »
Oh my gosh that is HILARIOUS!!!!!! Yep, Campbel'ls pork and beans, I do remember that lump of fat!

I now eat Bush's beans, the 'vegatarian' formula. So yummy.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 10:57:32 PM »
Stewart's!  My sister said she went through the same thing, can't find milk in cardboard cartons any more.  She says she's been getting her milk at Stewart's now.  But she's going to try the organic milk, while I am going to check out Stewart's, there is one on my way home from work. I wonder if they still have the Milk Club.  That's when, after you buy a dozen, you get once free.

It used to be Stewart's Ice Cream, but now I think they are just called "Stewart's shops" and most of them have gas pumps too now.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 05:13:15 PM »
Stewart's!  My sister said she went through the same thing, can't find milk in cardboard cartons any more.  She says she's been getting her milk at Stewart's now.  But she's going to try the organic milk, while I am going to check out Stewart's, there is one on my way home from work. I wonder if they still have the Milk Club.  That's when, after you buy a dozen, you get once free.

It used to be Stewart's Ice Cream, but now I think they are just called "Stewart's shops" and most of them have gas pumps too now.

fingerscrossed they have what you're looking for!  fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 07:07:59 PM »
It kind of grosses me out to buy milk at a gas station.  But if it's less expensive, the dates are consistently good, and the milk is good, I will have to get past that.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
In my area, it is the norm to see milk, bread, eggs, etc for sale at gas stations.  The companies make their money off the convenience foods... not so much the gasoline. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Yes here too.  But still, I'm not the type to stop at the gas station to pick up milk or bread. But if it will save me $1.50 a half gallon, considering I go through one every 2-3 days,   I'll become that type.  funny2

IF the milk is good and the dates are good.  I won't buy old milk.  I need dates at least 12 days ahead.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 07:42:36 PM »
I haven't checked out Stewarts Shops milk yet.  Even though it is right on my way home it's not in a convenient spot.  To get out of it's little corner is a left hand turn right onto a busy, very busy, road.  I just don't have the patience for it.

I am drinking much less milk with the organic. Not because of the cost, but because I don't like it as well as the other milk.  It has a funny pre-taste, and after-taste.  The only time it tastes good is if I am drinking it while eating something.  I can't drink it straight.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 09:00:38 AM »
Maybe the more you drink it, the more you will get used to it.   :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »
Well it only took me a week to get used to skim milk when I first switched.  This milk has a weird smell, which affects the taste, I think.  When I take a drink of it, it's as I am pulling the glass away from me that I smell it, it smells like cow, frankly. When I deliberately sniff the milk I don't smell that smell, only after I've taken a drink.

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that I am drinking less milk.  funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »

I am drinking much less milk with the organic. Not because of the cost, but because I don't like it as well as the other milk.  It has a funny pre-taste, and after-taste.  The only time it tastes good is if I am drinking it while eating something.  I can't drink it straight.

Well that didn't last forever.  I am back up to my normal consumption.

Pookie, you gave me lots of good info back in this thread and I always meant to revisit that.  You said pasteurized milk doesn't offer much nutrition and I have read that before.  I know milk is high in sugar, but I drink it (aside from because I love it) for the calcium and protein.

Are you saying I am not getting as much calcium and protein from it as I think I am?  Or are those nutrients some how unavailable, and even though it says so on the container, my body isn't absorbing them?

This organic milk I buy now says it is "ultra pasteurized".  Is that a bad thing? And why?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 04:50:41 PM »
I did have to re-visit, because I didn't remember what I said.  :-[  Here it is:

Goat milk is definitely healthier for you than cow milk, esp. if it's raw.  It's also more digestible.  In my state, raw milk of any kind is illegal, but in other states like Pennsylvania, it's not.  My Shop-Rite carries Organic Valley cow milk, which is grass-fed, in 1/2 gallon cartons.  It's expensive, though.

So in terms of health, there's your regular pastuerized/homogenized cow milk, which really isn't very nutritious, then raw cow milk, which is better, then pastuerized goat milk, which is even better, and best is raw goat milk.  The odds are also higher that the goats were grass-fed and not grain-fed (GMO), which means the Omega 3:6 ratio is probably healthier.

As for taste, I can tell you I buy the pastueurized goat milk (also available at my Shop-Rite and my super Wal-Mart) and it did take getting used to, but I'm fine with it now.  It's sold in quarter gallons and it's also expensive, so I don't drink a lot of it.  Since I don't eat breakfast cereal anymore, I don't need much of it, anyway, but I will use it in a protein shake now and then, or just drink it "as is" when I want some protein and to feel a little full, esp. at bedtime.

You mention one of the reasons for drinking milk is the calcium.  You may already be aware of this, but just in case, you also need magnesium and vitamin D for good bone health, and most people are deficient in magnesium.  Your body can't really assimilate the calcium without magnesium.

I don't know if any of this information helps, but I just wanted to put it out there.  I've tasted the Organic Valley milk, and it tastes like milk, just . . . more like milk, if that makes sense.  I would need to get used to the fat in it, though, which is also in the goat milk.  And just my  2cents, people shouldn't worry about the fat in milk.  We need fat in our diet for our nervous system and brain.

I hope this helps!

p.s.  If there are farms/farmer's markets or co-ops near you, it may be possible to get milk for a lower price, and it would be fresher.  You'd also know the source of what you're buying.

Pasteurization makes milk less digestible, which is why raw milk is easier for the body to tolerate.  Goat milk is closer to human milk that we drink as infants than cow milk, and as mentioned above, it's more likely the goats are grass-fed, unlike the cows (unless it's a certain brand like Organic Valley, which will say on the carton "grass-fed" or "pasture-fed."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
Some info on raw milk vs. pasteurized milk from Weston Price (http://www.westonaprice.org/press/fda-and-cdc-bias-against-raw-milk/)

Dangers from Pasteurized Milk

PASTEURIZED milk has been the source of many widespread outbreaks. A total for some of the documented outbreaks due to PASTEURIZED milk over the past few decades is 239,884 cases and 620 deaths.

The nation’s largest recorded outbreak of Salmonella was due to PASTEURIZED milk contaminated with antibiotic-resistant Salmonella typhimurium. The outbreak, which occurred between June 1984 and April 1985 sickened over 200,000 and caused 18 deaths. Disturbingly, the CDC did not issue a specific Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report for this outbreak; information must be gleaned from other reports published in the FDA Consumer and the Journal of the American Medical Association.

A 2004 outbreak in Pennsylvania and New Jersey involved multidrug-resistant Salmonella typhimurium infection from milk contaminated after pasteurization.

Despite numerous outbreaks due to pasteurized milk, neither the FDA nor the CDC has ever issued a warning against consuming pasteurized milk. Pasteurization is not a guarantee; pasteurized milk is not sterile. The FDA permits the presence of up to 20,000 bacteria /ml and 10 E.coli/ml in milk after the pasteurization process has been completed.

Because pasteurization destroys probiotics (good bacteria), any harmful bacteria present in the milk after pasteurization can and will flourish. On the other hand, published research shows that good bacteria and many other components in raw milk actually destroy pathogens added to the milk.

Superior Nutrition

The FDA/CDC reminder claims that “numerous studies” show no nutritional difference between raw and pasteurized milk. The reference provided for these “numerous studies” is a single 1984 article, “Unpasteurized milk: a health fetish,” by Dr. ME Potter, in which Potter creatively misinterprets a 1946 study Dr. Francis Pottenger conducted for a dental journal. Dr. Francis Pottenger’s studies on cats showed that feeding of pasteurized milk to cats resulted in widespread disease leading to infertility and early death by the third generation; cats fed raw milk remained disease-free and healthy throughout the length of the experiment, which lasted for several generations.

The FDA/CDC “reminder” provides no additional references on the comparative nutritional benefits of raw and pasteurized milk. Requests to the FDA for additional references have not been answered.

A 2006 study published the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology reported that childhood consumption of unpasteurized milk resulted in large reductions in the incidence of asthma, eczema and hay fever. Blood tests revealed that drinking raw milk cuts levels of histamine, a chemical produced by the cells in response to an allergen, by more than 50 percent. This study corroborates numerous reports of asthma in children–a life-threatening condition that is increasing in frequency–clearing up after the introduction of raw milk into the diet.

By contrast, several studies have linked asthma and allergies with the consumption of pasteurized milk. Increasing intolerance to processed milk explains the relentless decline in processed milk consumption in the US, at 1 percent per year. “Fewer and fewer people can tolerate commercial milk,” states Fallon. “Pasteurization distorts the delicate protein compounds in milk. The body recognizes these warped components as foreign and mounts an energy-sapping immune response.”

Animal and human studies carried out in the early part of the century showed that raw milk was superior to pasteurized in building strong bones and teeth, promoting optimal growth and development, and protecting against disease.

I'd forgotten about the Pottenger study, but that's a good example.  The cats fed raw milk (and meat) were much healthier than those given pasteurized milk (and cooked meat).

If you have the time, there's an 11 minute video you can watch as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DA_vbX_T1I&feature=youtu.be

Edit:  I just thought of something:  sarcasmalert if pasteurization is so wonderful, why don't doctors tell nursing mothers to get their breastmilk pasteurized before giving it to their babies? 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:02:48 PM by Pookie »

Tags: