Author Topic: Do certain breeds have different protein requirements?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Do certain breeds have different protein requirements?
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
When I was at the specialty pet food store recently, I got to chatting with one of the clerks.  The folks that work in this store are usually pretty knowledgeable.  She mentioned that she breeds Maltese (I think) and that she doesn't raw feed them til they're a year old, because they don't need as much protein.  I thought that was a bit counter-intuitive, as I would think growing puppies would need more protein, but she said they can't handle it, and every breeder she's spoken to has found the same thing.

Has anyone ever heard of this?  I'm just curious.  The only thing I can think of is that we've bred these dogs so much over the years that we've messed up their digestive system in the process.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Do certain breeds have different protein requirements?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:10:39 PM »
I have heard people say that about certain breeds.  I always thought it sounded hokey, but have no idea what the facts are.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »
Overfeeding IMO is the biggest culprit for the confusion.

Soooo much murk to sift through.  Because most dogs are eating species-inappropriate diets to begin with, people don't know that dogs should be eating 2-3 % of what their weight should be.  Got into wars with family who insisted I was starving our overweight dog because what I was giving him looked like nothing compared to the huge amount of carp kibble he was accustomed to.  Not to mention, his twice daily treats. So of course he always acted starved.  Doh1
Plus, over-feeding causes the runny messy poops and other digestive issues.

Think 10% of desired body weight is recommended for pups.  Trick is finding out just what to feed -- which is species-appropriate protein (sucks for people in general who will probably never know.)  :(

http://rawfed.com/myths/feedraw.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:51:25 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:12:40 AM »
My friends have Malteses, and they were told by their vet that they were allergic to protein.
I told them that was the most absurd thing I'd ever heard, since all dogs are carnivores.
Nevertheless, they followed their vet's recommendation and put their dogs on a vegetarian diet.... full of soy protein, of course.   Doh1
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: