Author Topic: Honest Kitchen Voluntarily Recalls...  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Honest Kitchen Voluntarily Recalls...
« on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/2013/02/21/a-note-from-our-president/

I’m writing to inform you that today we are voluntarily recalling five lots of our Verve, Zeal and Thrive products, which were produced between August and November 2012 and sold nationwide in the US and Canada via retail stores, mail order and online after August 2012. We are taking this precautionary action after learning that one of our raw ingredients suppliers has recalled a batch of human-grade parsley that has the potential to contain Salmonella. The batch of parsley was shipped to us in 2012 and used in the five lots of finished Honest Kitchen products. We’ve included specific details about which lots are being recalled, directions on how you can obtain a full refund for the affected lots, and information on the potential effects of Salmonella in our official recall press release.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:54:45 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Honest Kitchen Voluntarily Recalls...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »
Thank you for this, Lola. My sister uses it and didn't know about this.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »
I buy the cat and canine.  I just have one kind right now, and it isn't any of the recalled ones.  And there isn't much left of it.  Sooooo I would guess it was okay.  I think I will leave it be for now. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:31:36 PM »
the culprit in the recall was actually parsley

So Many Ironies in The Honest Kitchen’s Voluntary Food Recall

There are so many ironies in Lucy's courageous and costly recent decision to recall a few lots of The Honest Kitchen food because of possible contamination. One thinks of a pet food recall as being very bad publicity for a company, and one that might undermine consumer confidence in their products -- but in the case of this recall that Lucy initiated, it seems to have had the opposite effect. On websites posting news of the recall, I saw comments from people praising Lucy Postins for her proactive caution in instituting the recall -- and appreciation of her desire for transparency and openness. It isn't called The Honest Kitchen for nothing!

http://www.traciehotchner.com/blog/1362/so-many-ironies-in-the-honest-kitchens-voluntary-food-recall/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:46:13 PM »
I'm kind of skeptical of parsley now. See the Twitter feed...was recently a Tweet about the safety of Parsley & amounts. BUT I don't think I'll quit giving each one a sprig every now and then when I've got fresh in the fridge for one of our recipes--it's not that much that often.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:49:07 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »
After reading, the entire blog post, I was thinking not much reason for me to get "worked up" about the recall.