Author Topic: BPA Lined Cans  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
BPA Lined Cans
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
This subject has come up before (elsewhere), soooooo I thought I'd bring it up here as well.

There are mannnnnny articles available about the dangers (or not) of BPA lined pet food AND human food packaging. 
The following is a copy of the email I received from Felidae, when I enquired about BPA being used in their cans of pet food.

Bisphenol A, or BPA, is used in the manufacturing of numerous products, including epoxy can coatings. The metal can industry has used epoxy can coatings containing BPA for decades.
Is it Safe?
Scientific evidence from several different regulatory agencies in the United States, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration), Europe and Japan has consistently shown these coatings to be safe. Consumers would have to eat more than 500 POUNDS of food in contact with epoxy resins EVERY Day of their lives to exceed exposure levels determined to be safe by the European Food Safety Authority and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Numerous studies that measure actual exposure levels have confirmed that typical exposure to BPA is approximately 1/1000th of safe exposure levels.
At present there is no viable alternative to epoxy coatings that meet the existing requirements of all products.
Facts:
There is not commercially viable alternative to epoxy coating can liners
BPA Epoxy Coatings is used to make protective coatings for metal food packaging and helps provide safe, wholesome and nutritious foods for people and pets throughout the world.
Exposure to BPA from the use of protective liners is exceedingly low
BPA derived can liners are approved for use by ALL food regulatory agencies around the world
Due to corroding effects of foods during processing, metal containers and lids are coated to, ensure safety and prevent adverse effects on food quality, wholesomeness and nutritional value due to contact with un-coated metal cans.
Today’s use of BPA-derived epoxy resins is the result of over 60 years of industry research to develop and provide can liners with the safest and most effective barrier available.

Respectfully,

Beth Morgan
Customer Service Representative
CANIDAE Corp.
1975 Tandem Way
Norco, Ca 92860
1-800-398-1600

CANIDAE® All Natural Pet Food
http://www.canidae.com

More info:

Major Producers To Ditch BPA From Packaging:
Some companies view BPA as a concern and are or have made changes, and some companies do not.
http://www.ktradionetwork.com/health/major-producers-to-ditch-bpa-from-packaging/

"Consumers would have to eat more than 500 POUNDS of food in contact with epoxy resins EVERY Day of their lives to exceed exposure levels determined to be safe by the European Food Safety Authority and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency"

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: BPA Lined Cans
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
Thought I would bump this thread, because I read somewhere (?) someone mentioning Felidae doesn't use BPA lined cans.  If they don't, they have changed recently.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: BPA felidae canidae