Author Topic: The Strength of Elderberry Syrup  (Read 1275 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The Strength of Elderberry Syrup
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
The bottle I got from Howards the other day, has different mg amounts than what just got here from Vitacost today. They both say take 2 teaspoons a day for maintenance, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary considering the brand we just received today has a much larger mg-amount.

In the interest of trying to stay on it longer considering that everyone everywhere around is running out (woman at GNC today told me they got the last that her supplier had and what was on the shelves was it), IS it really necessary to take 2 teaspoons a day when we switch to the other brand? Photos are the amounts in each brand and directions and are numbered 1 and 2. Would a teaspoon a day not be enough for maintenance?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:01:28 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: The Strength of Elderberry Syrup
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
None of my books really give doses in terms of mgs or teaspoons, so I don't know.  However, the one you have now has a MUCH higher mg of elderberry than the Nature's Way.  Normally I'd say to follow the directions on the label, but I understand you're taking it for prevention/maintenance, and also want to conserve it to make it last through what's being reported as a REALLY loooooong flu season.

Here's an option, but I don't know if you'd be comfortable with it:  take 1 teaspoon a day and see how that works for you.  If, God forbid, you (or another family member) feels like they might be coming down with something, increase to 2 teaspoons a day or more, depending on how much is in the bottle, how lousy the person feels, if the stores have any elderberry, and where we still are in the flu season.

Heck, considering how much higher the mgs are in the Nature's Answer, you could possibly get away with 1/2 teaspoon a day.  Or . . . Dee takes 1 teaspoon a day, everyone else gets 1/2 tsp.   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:04:43 PM »
Thank you! I was thinking that it was a LOT more than the other one, and if the other one holds you at maintenance with its level, then surely the new one would hold at maintenance without the same daily amount.

I think when we all go to the new bottles, we'll try that. I got 8 bottles for all 3 houses. Mom, the two of us, and the four of my oldest's family.

I also noticed that it said Sambucus Nigra was in the new brand, and I read in one place that that European variety had more of the anthocyanins in them than the American varieties.

So, IF I can get these American kind growing and producing, I'm for sure going to try those next and have a whole slew of them with different qualities--just not the red or white ones. I wanted the American types first though because the 2 I picked are some of the most prolific ones reportedly.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »
You've inspired me.  Since just about every time I turn on the news, I hear about people dying from the flu this year, I decided to pick up some elderberry products.  I have some here, but it's expired so not as potent as it used to be, and I want to take some until the season ends to help my immune system.  So I stopped by the Integrative pharmacy near work and picked up 1 bottle of elderberry syrup and another of extract.

It was funny - I went to the herb section and didn't see any and though, cr-p, they're sold out.  Then I turned around and they were behind me in the "immune support" section.  Whew!

I took a dose tonight.  The taste was . . . interesting.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:30:08 PM »

I took a dose tonight.  The taste was . . . interesting.

I think it tastes like overly sweet blackberries. I love it. I'm allergic to blackberries. Once I get my plants going and producing, I'm going to save some for making cobbler. I haven't had blackberry cobbler in YEARS.

I was told in an email that if I wanted to make anything on my own, it would be better to use local honey for sweetening it, and that way I'd have a double punch of immune health in it. I'll see. I don't know how it will affect the taste.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »
Local honey is good for allergies, since it's made using the pollen from local plants, but in a form the body can handle.

I think it tastes like overly sweet blackberries.

I'd have to taste it again, but that seems like a really good description.  It was sort of sweet and sour at the same time.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »
I don't like the name "elderberry."   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »

LOL I don't like being sick, and if this helps prevent it?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »

LOL I don't like being sick, and if this helps prevent it?

I think she'd prefer if it was called "youngerberry."   :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »
I think she'd prefer if it was called "youngerberry."   :)

funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2

Tags: