Author Topic: Jennie and Queen Eva had their check ups today  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Jennie and Queen Eva had their check ups today
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
Mazy cat is beside herself with hissing and growling since they came home.  I did finally coax her to eat and gave her some Rescue Remedy to help settle her down.  Oddly enough when I was getting the carriers ready for the other two, she seemed to know they weren't for her and did not run off to her Safe Spot.

I had to shut Queen Eva in the bathroom when she followed me in, to ensure I could catch her when I needed her.  Jennie is easy.

Tech and vet both marveled at their coats but I didn't bother to bring up diet.  It's hopeless.  Vet did ask and I said yes all three are 100% raw, with Rad Cat, EZcomplete and prey model. She sighed.

Queen Eva had blood work for rabies titre. When the tech brought her back in she struggled and leaped out of her arms to the floor.  I was in the process of grabbing the carrier for her to jump into but she beat me to it.  She ran across the floor and leaped up onto the trash can that has those kind of lids that swing in, so of course she dropped right down in.  Thankfully the trash can was clean, just the towels from the table being wiped when we first came in (we were first in the room)

I scooped her out and put her in her box.  She did a little growling and hissing at the vet during her exam.  Her teeth are showing a bit of tartar at the top in the back where the salivary glands are.

Next time she needs lab work I will insist they keep her in the bottom part of her box.

Jennie is a bit more resigned, just lets us get on with it.  She had a senior blood panel taken, and her anal glands expressed.  Her temp was a bit low at only 98.7.  I asked the vet if that was a concern and she said no, that sometimes if there is poop in there the temp will be lower.

Jennie is showing signs of gingivitis now on those upper back molars.  She's always had bright clean teeth before, but she's over 12 now.  I was all ready to scheudle the dental right there and then, but vet thinks it is not needed yet.  I asked if the spots were hurting her. Vet pressed on the spots and Jennie had no pain reaction.  I always watch her carefully when she eats her bone meals and I never seen her favoring either side or acting like she is having difficulty.

Vet is not quick to put cats under anesthesia and I like that about her but I can't bear to think of my cats in any kind of pain at all.

Still..I almost would rather have it done now, rather than wait until she is even older. 

Glad that's over.

Mazy cat is next Friday.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Jennie and Queen Eva had their check ups today
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »
After they had their late breakfast I went out to run errands and have a walk.

All were sleeping peacefully when I got back, but they all got up for lunch. As they swarmed around in the kitchen Mazy cat made a point of: walking up to first Jennie, then Queen Eva, giving a sniff and then swearing at them.

funny2 funny2 funny2

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 04:44:52 PM »
Sounds like V&B if I come home smelling of other dogs. You just don't come home bringing different smells on you! It's just not right!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
I know, Dee, so true!  Mazy cat is still growling, but only at Queen Eva now.

I'm still fretting about Jennie's gingivitis. Vet says wait, but the longer I wait, the older Jennie will be for the procedure, you know?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »

I'm still fretting about Jennie's gingivitis. Vet says wait, but the longer I wait, the older Jennie will be for the procedure, you know?

I totally understand that. When I wanted some of those first tumors cut off Dannyboy, dangers of surgery in old age were pointed out to me. I realize he was an oversized Airedale that could be considered a giant-sized dog, and I realize that a lot of the danger is from size, but still. Age matters, and I'd be concerned too.

If something is going to have to be done in the future, then why not now? Why then?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:53:33 PM »
I always shower before vet visits.  I wipe down the one that went to the vet with MY damp bath towel, when we return home.  Foreign smells off... familiar smell (me!) on.   Silly7

I'm with you, I wouldn't want to wait on the dental.  Not to be a turd, but it isn't like the issue is going to go away. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: