Author Topic: Are we not getting the word out?  (Read 23606 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Are we not getting the word out?
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
Here's my $.02   :)

I was a HUGE "fan" of TAPF,  participating in the comments there and spreading the word via email & forums since early 2007 and this was why I had to stop. (Reading the "sample" food reviews she posts on the site in the monthly "Petsumer Report" articles was enough for me.)

Problem is, there lacks a note/disclaimer, regarding carnivores' nutritional requirements with her food ratings. The biggest issue I have with her, and not only spreading but charging people for this information, is the fact that cat owners have politely pleaded with her about this while explaining crucial information regarding felines.

She should stick to rating ingredients and not foods because there are carb-laden/dry foods that her readers and subscribers will trust and feed because she's the Ingredient EXPERT and is approving, rating these foods highly; deducting wet ones for moisture.

Does not matter how organic, natural ... the "highest quality" ingredients are, or where they're from. Cat can't chew it + cat can't process carbs = inevitable pain for cat.

Three years ago, members of a knowledgeable cat forum (including at least one person very highly regarded and now involved with www.fnes.org) were imploring her to consider the harms to felines from dry and Susan would not budge.  

It was unbelievable to see somebody who wants people to listen to her regarding truths about foods, refusing to even acknowledge the "other" half of the pet food story, dismissing these cat owners and their concerns.

IMO HUGE disservice to any cat owner reading, and God help the cats. If you're gonna tell the truth, don't ignore half. It's not like people haven't given her the information (and proof -- the forum was a diabetic cat forum that Dr Elizabeth used to be involved with, where getting cats into remission was common.)

"Dry & Carbs not good, not species-inappropriate". How hard would it be? Especially when people have pleaded with her?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:56:21 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
Here's my $.02   :)
 Problem is, there lacks a note/disclaimer, regarding carnivores' nutritional requirements with her food ratings. ...
Does not matter how organic, natural ... the "highest quality" ingredients are, or where they're from. Cat can't chew it + cat can't process carbs = inevitable pain for cat.

Agreed on every major point. I'm just not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, or throw the good she's done out because she can't get one (important) feline nutritional aspect right.

I respect the work Susan's done and continues to do on getting the information about the PFI's ingredient sourcing and manufacturing processing practices out there to the public. That's important and not something I, personally, would be willing to do. It's her area of expertise and she does it well.

It's possible all the work I've done in studying and researching feline nutrition gives me a respect for the dedication I know is required to do what she's doing. Rather than malign or dismiss Susan's work, I make sure that when I discuss her ratings with someone, I talk about the difference between cats and dogs and their respective needs, and let them know that this is one area Susan needs a little more work on. And I'm willing to help Susan in whatever ways her needs align with my talents and interests (for instance, I'm a "pet owner consumer advocate" and will be helping to pull together those efforts).

I guess this will have to be a point that we agree to disagree on?   :-*

We're all on the same team, we just have different responsibilities. My focus is feline nutrition, Susan's is PFI ingredient sourcing and manufacturing processes. 

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »
Agreed on every major point. I'm just not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater, or throw the good she's done out because she can't get one (important) feline nutritional aspect right.

I respect the work Susan's done and continues to do on getting the information about the PFI's ingredient sourcing and manufacturing processing practices out there to the public. That's important and not something I, personally, would be willing to do. It's her area of expertise and she does it well.

It's possible all the work I've done in studying and researching feline nutrition gives me a respect for the dedication I know is required to do what she's doing. Rather than malign or dismiss Susan's work, I make sure that when I discuss her ratings with someone, I talk about the difference between cats and dogs and their respective needs, and let them know that this is one area Susan needs a little more work on. And I'm willing to help Susan in whatever ways her needs align with my talents and interests (for instance, I'm a "pet owner consumer advocate" and will be helping to pull together those efforts).

I guess this will have to be a point that we agree to disagree on?   :-*

We're all on the same team, we just have different responsibilities. My focus is feline nutrition, Susan's is PFI ingredient sourcing and manufacturing processes.  

AC

I think respectful discussions, like this are a good thing.  I don't think one has to "win" or "lose," and we are all just giving our point of views.  I say that because I'm going to throw in my two cents...again.  Don't want you to feel like I am brow beating you or anything.   Bumpurr1  

There are plenty of vets, professionals, and people in general, that I don't blow off entirely because of a difference of opinion.  

Like I mentioned in my other post... if the difference of opinion was about (for example) fruits in cat food...I could adjust.  I don't think fruits are needed in a feline's food, but don't think a little bit CAUSES harm.  However, lack of moisture in food DOES cause mannnnnny medical issues in felines.  That is just too huge to ignore.  Susan giving lessor ratings because of moisture in food...is dangerous. IMHO

A lessor quality wet food, of ANY kind, is a better choice over a so-called "quality" dry food.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:22:31 AM by Lola, Reason: speeling error »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »
I guess my beef with her was when I read that she AUTOMATICALLY removes a point from all wet foods "due to moisture content."  TO ME...she "views" moisture as a bad thing, and therefore rates accordingly, in her view.  

The average Joe, that is clueless about water being screaming important would EASILY assume...by her reduced rating and wording...that moisture is a bad thing.  NOT good.  IMHO

I was a major "cheer leader" of hers for a loooooong time.  Moisture is just toooo important, in a feline's diet, to take away paw points.  She doesn't take away paw points in her dry food ratings...for not having enough moisture.  

And...if Susan doesn't get the importance of moisture, what else doesn't she get?  If her and I didn't see eye to eye concerning fruits in cat food, that would be a different story.  But water...too important.   2cents

Yes, and that's why she's a scary one. Regardless of anything else she says, putting out that high moisture content, water, is to be avoided is so incredibly wrong I ......I am just speechless. Imagine, I talk to people until I am blue in the face about the importance of moisture in cat food.  If any of these people decide to research for themselves and find this report, all my words will just go out the window and the cat will be doomed to a lifetime of meow mix.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
I think respectful discussions, like this are a good thing.  I don't think one has to "win" or "lose," and we are all just giving our point of views.  I say that because I'm going to throw in my two cents...again.  Don't want you to feel like I am brow beating you or anything.   Bumpurr1  

There are plenty of vets, professionals, and people in general, that I don't blow off entirely because of a difference of opinion.  

Like I mentioned in my other post... if the difference of opinion was about (for example) fruits in cat food...I could adjust.  I don't think fruits are needed in a feline's food, but don't think a little bit CAUSES harm.  However, lack of moisture in food DOES cause mannnnnny medical issues in felines.  That is just too huge to ignore.  Susan giving lessor ratings because of moisture in food...is dangerous. IMHO

A lessor quality wet food, of ANY kind, is a better choice over a so-called "quality" dry food.  
agreegif
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »
I'm still yapping about TAPF, but...I'm doing it in the TAPF thread now:
http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=160.15

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2011, 01:31:05 PM »
Hi, all!

I skimmed this thread and didn't see these suggestions:

-Contact the good folks over at the Feline Nutrition Education Society via feline-nutrition.org (not "felinenutrition.org" - that's a parking site) and ask them for a stack of their feline nutrition 'postcards'; pass those cards out to everyone you know, leave them in public places, give them to the guy delivering your pizza tonight. :-) Get permission from your local library to leave a stack, or talk a local pet store owner into putting one in every bag he/she sells.

-Print off the Society's one-page guides and distribute as above. See if you can talk a few veterinarian buddies into leaving these guides on their coffee tables.

-Contact the Society and ask them what more you can do to help. I'm not sure how close they are currently, but they will be getting involved in changing legislation efforts and feline nutrition studies - both very worthy but time-consuming endeavors.

-Create your own business-sized cards and pass them out to everyone you come in contact with that may have a pet; strike up a conversation in line at the grocery store (especially if you're in there buying meat for your fur-kids!); at the bank; at school; at work, etc. If you have any parties, include the cards with the party favors. Get creative! Here are my cards, front and back (the back needs updating, petsareforlife.com is no longer active):

-Contact Susan Thixton via TruthAboutPetFood.com and ask her what help you can provide. She also has some political / regulation activity going on and could use some help.

-Buy as many copies of Susan's book "Buyer Beware: The crimes, lies and truth about pet food." as you can (they're only $13.95) and pass them out to pet-owning friends, family members, and co-workers. Keep one with you as a "loaner" wherever you go and ask whoever "borrows" it from you to "lend" it forward (so-to-speak *smile*).

These are a few the ways I've spread the word! Hope some of you find them interesting and applicable. :-)

AC

What do you guys think of the other suggestions?

In addition to working with vets to get the word out via FNES's one-page guides, you could also work with local area shelters and rescues; bring them a big stack of guides and ask them to drop one in with the paperwork on every adopted cat or dog.

Everyone I know, and everyone I meet comes to know my thoughts on feline nutrition. How about you? (Yes, that's a challenge!  ;-) )

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »
What do you guys think of the other suggestions?

In addition to working with vets to get the word out via FNES's one-page guides, you could also work with local area shelters and rescues; bring them a big stack of guides and ask them to drop one in with the paperwork on every adopted cat or dog.

Everyone I know, and everyone I meet comes to know my thoughts on feline nutrition. How about you? (Yes, that's a challenge!  ;-) )

AC
same with me..everyone I know I will start up a conversation about feline nutrition. I even get to do this at work. Alot of people come to my deli counter and ask for meat for treats for their cats or dogs.  I tell them that they really shouldnt be feeding this to their pets with all the nitrates in the meat, so I offer them other types of meat that do not contain all the bad stuff.  Then go on to tell them about feline nutrition.  I have one lady that comes to get treats for her hyperthyroid cat. Her Vet did not even tell her about the radioactive Iodine treatment. :-\
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
My view has always been...one pet at a time.  Never know who is listening or reading.  Plant the seed. 

I can't say, post, or direct people enough to "My Cat Is Doing 'Fine' On Dry Food" (catinfo.org).  I'd buy the shirt, if she sold them.