Author Topic: Carryover from another post (Kittens)--vaccines & zoonotic diseases  (Read 1730 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Even tho shows require all those shots, they never check, there is no vet check, at cat shows. That....completely floored me.

I think it's the same with dog shows. I've been to several just looking at breeds, and some of the dogs were obviously sick. Now I don't know, but some vets say it's possible to catch some of the bacterial infections dogs get. Some say you can't. But hubs is buying into the ones that say you can. You have NO idea how hard it was for me to keep him on the track of limited vaccinations AFTER he read that several places online. He's insisting on titers now though--more than before--and that's the only way they'll be limited on vaccines.

With my lowered immune system, hubs is not convinced that I've not caught something from dogs a couple of times now. Vlad had a mild case of kennel cough as a puppy--I got sick with a really bad upper respiratory infection a week after he had been with us. Then oldest granddaughter & I went to a Bark Party in July--the weekend before I got pneumonia & stuck in the hospital.

Two weekends ago, granddaughter and I went to another Bark Party, but I had orders to not touch any dogs at all. Granddaughter was my monitor to make sure I didn't. (Yeah. Sucks to have an 11-yo babysitting you.) I'm finding these events to be a lot of fun. I don't want to be forced to quit. But he said I was never going to another conformation dog show again now that he knew that a lot of show-people don't vaccinate at all--ever. (He said he'd lock me up in the bonus room upstairs and throw away my keys if necessary. I know he's just making a point, and I know he just cares, but still made me angry.)

He, me and Vlad's breeder are going to another big Bark Party this coming Saturday (and taking the dogs this time), but he says he feels safer when we're going to be at the HUGE facility that it's going to be at where the staff knows dogs (insists on vaccinations if you're a daycare member) and would turn a sick one away in a heartbeat.

So, since you have so much cat-show experience, have you heard of it being possible for humans to catch any of these bacterial diseases like kennel cough from dogs or cats? IS it possible that hubs and SOME vets are right?

I'd be grateful for an answer from ANYONE that knows!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: Carryover from another post (Kittens)--vaccines & zoonotic diseases
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
Put the "dictator" on here, and let me debate with him. Place your bets now, cause, he is going to lose, I been doing horse shows since I was a little kid and cat shows for like 10 years now.   pangif

Ever go to the grocery store, and touch the handle on the grocery cart? Ever go into a store or office bldg, and touch the door, to go in? Ever go to a doctors office and sit in the waiting room? Ever go in "any" public place, and breath the same air, and touch any surface, that was touched by like a zillion other people?  Ever eat in a restaurant?

If you have a weakened immune system, "thats" where you caught something, in public places.

and.......how do I put this polietly........what common "activities" do you share with your husband?

Yes......that too.   :o

The issue is not the doggie activites, the issue is you have a weakened immune system, and you go into, and touch public places, and "other things", which you can tell him, I said, he best sterilize it, if he is so concerned about your heath.

I have health issues too, I have a weakened immune system too, Bump did too.

So.....ya take L-Lysine, 500 mgs, 1 twice a day, you also take fish oil, the good one, will have to look at the brand, but its like 1200 mgs and you take it once a day, you also take super B complex, the one that has the vit C in it.

Put him on.....I got my coffee ready.......and you can tell him, I said, ya do not mess with Texans, You Will Not Win. >:(

Ladies, place your bets. TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »
 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2

I love you!

Actually, have hand-sanitizer and wipes in my purse to wipe things like shopping carts off then clean my hands after. Friends & family don't come near me if they're sick.

If flu or something is going around town (and he finds out at work), I don't go. He does. We go somewhere together, he touches it all. The pneumonia thing is the first time I've had to be at a hospital in a few years now, so he's probably right that it's working. Thing is, a lot of cases of pneumonia were there at the hospital with me. But I've not been around any geriatrics.

I really want to turn Vlad & Barkly into "reading dogs," since they like granddaughter reading to them so much, but the thought of me being around kids, whose parents don't keep home when they're sick (more common than you'd think), sends him into shock.

I'm already on everything but the L-Lysine, so I'm going to have to look into that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:10:01 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
While I agree with Kittens for the most part, that doesn't mean there are no such things as zoonotic diseases from dogs.

The CDC has a list, and some of them are also covered in this article.

Some of those things on the list are parasites... you could probably cross most of those off.

Some of those are STDs.... I'm pretty sure that you could cross those off as well. 

I didn't see any that are transmitted through saliva.... So that's a good thing.   :-*

Some of those things are bacterias associated with... well, poop.  Considering how much poop and pee is scattered around a typical dog park, and considering that dogs will roll in it... there may be something to consider on that front.  We quit taking Babee to the dog park once we realized just how dirty it really was under that grass.   :o

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
Well, yes, the STD's most definitely! *shudder* Wouldn't they have to get them from another dog anyway? Mounting a female is NOT going to happen!!!

Parasites, after Sharkly & Dannyboy both getting roundworms (while supposedly not supposed to on Heartgard Plus), I've had fecals checked every 4 months. The vet's office didn't want to believe that they had them in the first place since I'm serious about giving their meds every month, but I insisted on a test since I didn't think Sharkly was scooting his butt across the floor b/c of blocked anal glands. Since the vet's office had records of every purchase made by us, Heartgard paid for the fecals and deworming too. We've always had kids around, and I didn't want to deal with humans having them.

We haven't gone to dog parks at all with Vlad, ever. At first he wasn't old enough to be immune to parvo, etc. Then in his 5th month that little shoulder issue hit. I won't take them to an off-leash park and keep them on leashes. He goes nuts wanting to run too if he sees any of Barkly's alone sessions in the fence outside, so one of us always distracts Vlad to a place where he can't see it while the other lets Barkly play.

Giardia, they caught it from eating either rabbit or deer poop this spring. I've kept them out of the creek their whole lives. I just didn't know that it came elsewhere than water itself. I know now. Enter Gentle Leaders where we can control their heads better.

I guess he's right. A couple of those things would be upper-respiratory. And I don't know that all of those rescue-puppies we were playing with were absolutely healthy.   :'(

Thank you for the info.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »
Even after going to get my hair cut, I'm STILL shuddering at the thought that humans would end up with STDs from dogs! GAH that's gross!

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:28:38 PM »
Everybody is kinda missing the point, which, I picked up on, in her original post, some best read it again.

So.....where is he?

Or is he afraid, of a Texan, as well......he should be.

What are zoonotic diseases?

I never said, humans can't catch something from kitties, doggies or horsies, which, they can, which I didn't get to finish my post, cause I had to go to worky.

Will posty the listy 2 mar O. Its the bewitching hour and I just got home from the fields, been a real bad day.

Message from the vet, when I got home, Smokey is ready to come home, one week today, when I had to put her down.

Tell the "man", and I use this term lightly, that Texas is its own country, and....we have our own President, and I bet, he cannot name, our first President.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
Well, see. He has this thing called a job. Only because we like a roof over our heads and the dogs and we like to eat. He comes home and he's usually still working with AutoCad Electrical.

Unfortunately, he'd know that history question if I called him. But I don't call him at work unless it's somewhere near emergency status.

I used to call him for quick answers when the boys had to finish homework after football practice. He'd always know the answer if it was Tennessee History, US History, World History, Geography--especially if a war was involved.

He can do complex math in his head too. Freaks me out. I can barely work at a 9th grade math level, but if they've put the alphabet in the problem, forget it. It took him forever to teach me how to figure out tips in my head when eating out with others. I liked it a lot better if the boys were with me b/c they can do it easily too.

I CAN understand binary though, and none of them can! Yay me!

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
Well, I got a job too, 2 in fact. I work 6 days a week, sometimes 7 days a week. So on the weekends, when he is doing, whatever, I...am at work.

Having you tell me his credentials and how smarty he is, don't, intimidate me. I took down huge companies, when they tried to mess with the big Bump.

If he don't know who the first President of Texas is, he should just say so, and not hide behind his wifey, and blame it on she cannot call him.

He gotta come home some time, so asky him, bet he don't know it, without looking it up. :P

TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag TexasFlag

So what are zoontic diseases?

I looked at the fish oil, it says Ultra Omega 3 Fish Oil, 1400 mg, 1000 mg Omega 3.

The L-Lysine is an immune booster. You get it in the human vitamin section. We give it to the kitties when they are sick, some show people give it all the time, but those are the ones that run heavy. For humans, you take 1 pill, twice a day.

Remember The Alamo
Payback is a B

Do Not Mess With Texas
You Will Not Win

pangif

cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
I'm home now and he said it was "Burnnet. Though Sam Houston from here in Sumner county, TN did more for that state once he was President than Burnnet in his short term. You should have at least remembered that much from the movie, Dee"

He's not hiding behind me. I didn't even tell him b/c he's always busy & not much for arguing. I did walk down the hill to where he's on the tractor to ask him about the first prez there though.

Everyone FROM around here knows Sam Houston b/c well...He had a BAD marriage to someone from here. I remember the story about Eliza Allen better than what he did for all of y'all. Maybe you remember the story about his wife left behind? http://www.wnpt.org/productions/samhouston/people/eliza.html

"Here young Andrew Jackson opened his law practice, later returning as a General to recruit the Militia that saved New Orleans and the Mississippi Valley from British domination. Texas began here, with Sam Houston’s bitter flight from a failed local marriage, to the Alamo, where another Sumner Countian, Jim Bowie, commanded the outnumbered Tennesseans."

I wasn't from this county, so don't really care, though a lot of places around here are neat to see. Cool fact about the land we live on. During WWII they had army training maneuvers here and a lot of people ask for permission to bring their metal detectors and look for artifacts. They always show us before they leave, and there's some pretty cool stuff found sometimes.

Coolest thing anyone found though was from the Civil War. It was a silver button off someone's uniform. They had a big encampment all  around Bledsoe's Fort. I've been looking around out here a lot lately b/c I want Vlad and Barkly photographed around one of these historic places Like Wynnewood or Cragfont.

Tags: