Author Topic: Are those of us who are "parenting furkids" animal extremists?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Are those of us who are "parenting furkids" animal extremists?
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »
I didn't even know there was a huge argument going on about calling our furbabies just that. It seems that some want them known only as property. I kind of see that point, but I find it a bit dangerous to not make potential adopters understand that pets are the same as children--except they never grow up, whereas skinkids do. Of course I commented on it (in email first because I brought the whole of another species into the argument) , but I thought the rest of you might want to comment as well.

You might want to make sure you read the other points of view that are linked in this blog post to see exactly what the other side is saying.

So, do YOU think we're animal extremists by calling them our "furkids?"

http://www.keepthetailwagging.com/dog-mom-pet-parent-animal-extremist/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: Are those of us who are "parenting furkids" animal extremists?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »
I didn't have time, to read all the posts at the bottom, but in my opinion, the people, who consider themselfs, "owners" are the same people who consider they "own" their wife or girlfriend, as in, domestic abuse. They have to have "control" over something, an animal or women too afraid to fight back.

My kitties are my babies, I care for them, as a mother would care for a child, who is unable to care for his/her self, so in that respect, I am their mother.

I also don't actaully care, what anybody thinks, of what I call myself. To them, I say, take your best shot, you will not win.  >:( TexasFlag

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:25:34 AM »
Yea I read this one too. Did you read the FB post that started it? I am just surprised that people really care that much... I mean for crying out loud just get over it! lol... I don't think anyone is trying to be offensive by using one term or another. "Owner" is kind of a technical term that a lot of pet care professionals get sucked into using and I don't think most people are using it to degrade pets. Just a term that's been used for years. I started using the term "pet parent" more often since I began blogging. I don't think there's anything with being a "fur mom" either!

I absolutely love the way that Kimberly replied to the person who left the Facebook comment.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:34:44 AM »
Yes, I clicked on both links she'd put into that post. Sad people in this world.

The only thing that ticks me off about the whole thing is the fact that those that want it known they're nothing but property don't stress the responsibilities well enough. Ever.

I wouldn't have a problem with those insisting that they be referred to as "property" and nothing else, if they still said it's "the SAME responsibility as having a child." They won't because they in no way want the dog looked at as being the same kind of responsibility.

Pets are incapable of taking care of themselves, and it equates with being a child for life. All too often, people don't realize that. Then it becomes a sad situation for everyone.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
I was short on time, so I didn't read the links or most of the comments.  I'd never thought of terms like "pet parent" or "furkid" as anything remotely political, so it was an interesting point of view, but I still don't see how those phrases can be offensive.  Unless I let Pookie out to be an outdoor cat so he can fend for himself (and he could, thought he'd be in a lot more danger), he is totally dependent on me for food, water and care.  Just because I didn't give birth to him doesn't make him any less of my "child" than if I had adopted a human child.  I am his "mom," just like I would be Mom to a human child I adopted.

That said, people have a right to their opinion.  IMO, if they find a blog that includes phrases they find offensive, they are free to go to other websites.  There are plenty out there, and no one is forcing them to read the "offensive" blogs.  If they choose to keep going to a blog that they find "offensive" so they can make inappropriate or rude comments, that says a lot more about them than it does the blogger, and it does nothing to advance their point of view.

Just my  2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »
I just can't imagine why someone would care how I refer to my pets/furkids. 
To me... my refrigerator is property.  I won't put my furkids in that same category.  They are my extended family.  I'm prettttty sure, just about everyone, knows that I'm not their birth mom.   Bumpurr1
I also feel it is a PRIVILEGE to be owned by a dog, cat, etc...and I take the responsibility seriously.   

Anyway... it is a blog.  ONE person's thoughts and opinion.  She's allowed. 

One question that I have pondered since this began is – why would a professional, reputable breeder be offended by the term “puppy mill” when that isn’t reflective of what they do?

A local professional breeder (she chose to remain unquoted) was kind enough to explain that the terms “backyard breeder” and “hobby breeder” were once positive and represented different types of professional, reputable breeders.  Today, these terms are lumped into the bucket with “puppy mill” and have a negative bent, which is why they’re seen as offensive to some professional breeders.

I don't EVER remember the terms "backyard breeders" or "puppy mills" being used as positive terms.   
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:39:06 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »

I don't EVER remember the terms "backyard breeders" or "puppy mills" being used as positive terms.   

I don't either. But my issue is still with those people in the links that attacked her for calling herself a Furmom. They can just byte-me [SIC].

Offline Furkid Parent

• Charter Member
  • Yapper
  • NOT the Twitter Furkid Parent.
    • Parenting-Furkids
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 01:19:07 AM »
For those that missed it... this one is a DOOZIE!  (IMHO)  ;)

Elizabeth Turner Brinkley's Comment:
  Just curious - where did you get your training in animal husbandry, animal behavior? Are you a vet? What is your background? Are you basing all of this information on simply having owned pets. Do you have any idea how much damage you can do by offering this kind of information without the training and experience to back it up. Much of the language you use is that of the animal rights extremists - "furbaby", "pet parent". I love and respect animals after having worked with them for 49 years of my life but I never disrespect them by comparing them to humans. Dogs are in many ways far superior to most people but they are still animals who eat poop, dig holes and will breed with members of their own family. They are DOGS and I am their OWNER. I am not the mother of a dog although I know there are people who have called me by that name.
Animal Welfare or Animal Rights?

I don't doubt people have referred to her as a "mother," ...but not likely it had anything to do with her relationship to her dog. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »
THAT's the one that set me off!!!!!!!

It's not like we're calling them actual children! We're calling them "FURkids"!!! The only family I know of that could even POSSIBLY call actual children "FURkids" is that Mexican family with the "werewolf disease"--Hypertrichosis.

And if any of these "you're-animal-activists," name-calling witches wants to call the children in that Mexican family "FURkids," then they're some of the most mean-spirited, insensitive witches who have ever crawled this planet!!!!!

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 01:20:34 PM »
In ancient Egypt, cats were revered as gods. 
Now they are "property".

The pendulum swings throughout our history.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
Hope Ms. Elizabeth Turner Brinkley doesn't read this website/blog:  http://www.moderncarnivore.net She uses the terms "cat parent," "care giver," "child," "daughter," etc.  Brinkley will surly blow a gasket!   Bumpurr1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »
Giving her a standing ovation in Twitter!

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
Haven't even had the chance to read the post yet, but where I live I am considered crazy or fanatical because I won't just free feed meow mix or whiskas like everyone else and because I don't think Purina and Science Diet are the best of the best foods, and also because I think pets should go to the vet when they are hurt or sick instead of toughing it out themselves or being "put down" with a shotgun. Even my family thinks I am nuts... my mom was the only one willing to listen to me, and she came around to my "side" of things shortly before... much to the ire of my dad.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
The bizarre thing is, the one that attacked Keep The Tail Wagging's Kimberly, and the one that attacked FidoseofReality's Carol are two different people saying the exact same thing.

A lot of us are beginning to think they might be puppy-mill types.

Tags: