Author Topic: People Food!  (Read 5048 times)

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
People Food!
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:56:52 AM »
We spend so much time talking about what we feed our fur-kids, I thought it'd be fun to have our own thread... for the peeps.

How often do you cook? (not talkin' microwave or packages) Eat2
How often do you eat "fast food"  pizzagif
What's your indulgence weakness?  ThxGiv6
Do you feel that you eat as healthy as your fur-kids?   catmilk1

I'll go first...

I cook maybe 3 times a week.  I'm not a bad cook... I'm just lazy.
I cooked up a pot of chicken soup a couple days ago... we're just now finishing it off.
Tomorrow I'll be cookin' up some chili, got the beans soaking (2nd soak) tonight.

I don't eat a lot of McD's kind of fast food, but I do tend to eat out 2-3 times a week.
I try to keep it to smaller portions, but if it's dinner there is almost always a take home box... which I eat the next day.

MMmmmmmm..... chooooooocolate....

I definitely don't eat as healthy as the furmonsters.  I snack too much on chips & crackers and don't eat enough veggies.
I like my fruits and proteins... just not in the right balance. lol

mmmmmmmm..... chooooocolate...
or pie....

how 'bout it?

popcorngif1 eat1 popcorngif koolaid1 birthday2
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: People Food!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:10:13 AM »
I cook real food once a week, maybe twice. The rest of the time it is ramen, sandwiches, or occasionally hot pockets/frozen insta-meals.

With fast food, it depends on the week, but twice a week minimum. I hit a lot of dollar menus. Does the grill at the store up the road count as "fast food?"

Carbs in any form. Bread, pasta, chocolate cake, muffins... if it is carb-heavy I want it.

Pfft... not even close. I am currently on the human equivalent of grocery store kibble. I do, however, plan on going vegan or semi-vegetarian when I am able.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:29:28 AM by Amber »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »
We spend so much time talking about what we feed our fur-kids, I thought it'd be fun to have our own thread... for the peeps.

How often do you cook? (not talkin' microwave or packages) Eat2
How often do you eat "fast food"  pizzagif
What's your indulgence weakness?  ThxGiv6
Do you feel that you eat as healthy as your fur-kids?   catmilk1

I'll go first...

I cook maybe 3 times a week.  I'm not a bad cook... I'm just lazy.
I cooked up a pot of chicken soup a couple days ago... we're just now finishing it off.
Tomorrow I'll be cookin' up some chili, got the beans soaking (2nd soak) tonight.

I don't eat a lot of McD's kind of fast food, but I do tend to eat out 2-3 times a week.
I try to keep it to smaller portions, but if it's dinner there is almost always a take home box... which I eat the next day.

MMmmmmmm..... chooooooocolate....

I definitely don't eat as healthy as the furmonsters.  I snack too much on chips & crackers and don't eat enough veggies.
I like my fruits and proteins... just not in the right balance. lol

mmmmmmmm..... chooooocolate...
or pie....

how 'bout it?

popcorngif1 eat1 popcorngif koolaid1 birthday2
Great Idea, maybe we can share recipes too. :)
Depending if Im working or not, I cook probably 3 or 4 nights a week.
Hubby looks after himself if Im at work.
I eat at work, so I usually eat salads or a sandwich
When at home I cook all sorts of things, but nothing really gourmet.
I made Lasagna Cupcakes not long ago and they were awesome.
If we eat out its usually Subway, or Tim Hortons, or White spot restaurant, or fancier restaurant if its a special occasion.
Burger King, or Mcds once in a blue moon.
Dont get pizza too often, as hubby delivers pizza one night a week for extra cash
and I guess he gets tired of it, lol!

My favourite food is fruit, love it, and meal would have to be BBQ steak and Caesar Salad.
Here is a great hint for you.  Go to your deli and buy some Boursin herb and Garlic cream cheese.
Spread that on your steak just before its done close the lid just till it melts, yummy!!!
My weakness is candy, yes I am Candy Queen, though I have now cut down.
All I hear on the news nowadays is how poisonous it is :(

Here is a easy little recipe

"Killer Coleslaw"

Bag of prepared coleslaw
1 pkg. of Oriental Mr. Noodles
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Mix oil and vinegar with the seasoning mix that comes with the Mr. Noodles
pour over coleslaw, then add the crunched up noodles on top just before you serve.
you can also add sesame seeds, or pumpkin seeds, or a crunchie mix.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »
I cook on Sunday, either a roast chicken (gravy mashed potatoes), spaghetti, or some kind of home made soup, then freeze leftovers.  I eat leftovers or Campbells during the week. Thursday night I eat popcorn because I get home so late from work I don't feel like making real food.

I usually have a salad (romaine lettuce, cheese, carrot, hard boiled egg, cranberries) or a canned veg with the left overs.With soup I like to have sharp cheddar cheese and triscuit crackers for supper.

For breakfast I eat a piece of rye toast with peanutbutter on it. I use "natural" or "organinc" peanutbutter, the kind that is not hydrogenated and does not have all that sugar and salt added.

For lunch I eat a banana, and a greek yogurt and an apple. Sometimes I eat a little 3 ounce can of albacore tuna instead of the yogurt. For afternoon snack I have another apple, and then my pre-supper snack is half a grapefruit and a carrot. 

Sugar, as in candy bars, cakes and cookies,  is my 'drug of choice' so I try to stay away from it because once I start I never stop.

Offline Growlies

• Yapper
    • Growlies.ca
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:12:35 PM »
As a person who just recently changed their diet and easily lost 60 lbs. doing it. I'd recommend these videos and links to anyone.

Minding your Mitochondria

The Oiling of America with Sally Fallon - Long but worth it.

Lastly
http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/paleo

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
Carbs in any form. Bread, pasta, chocolate cake, muffins... if it is carb-heavy I want it.

Pfft... not even close. I am currently on the human equivalent of grocery store kibble.

lol, I hear ya.  I've done my best to cut out processed carbs, but I just can't seem to stay away from them completely.  I'm trying to keep a container of "finger veggies" in the 'fridge.... now just to remember to reach for them instead of the Cheese-its.

Great Idea, maybe we can share recipes too. :)

... I made Lasagna Cupcakes not long ago and they were awesome.
...Dont get pizza too often...
... buy some Boursin herb and Garlic cream cheese.  Spread that on your steak just before its done close the lid just till it melts, yummy!!!

Lasagna cupcakes?!... that sounds... labor intensive... and incredibly yummy, lol
We don't get pizza very often either, but for a completely different reason... I'm a pizza snob. 
The crust needs to be hand pressed and tossed, and baked evenly, and the sauce needs to have good flavor.
I could go on... yes, yes I could... but I won't.   :P
Now.... the herb cheese spread on the steak... omg, how did I never think of that before?!

...With soup I like to have sharp cheddar cheese and triscuit crackers for supper.

Cheeeeeeessse Gromit!!
Yes, aside from good-not-hershey's-chocolate, cheese would be my greatest weakness.  I love cheese... all kinds of cheese.
Blue cheese, cheddar cheese, hard cheese, soft cheese, yes please.  Yum.

I've really tried to cut down on a lot of fats and sugars.
I don't drink sodas.
Hard candy is virtually non-existent
Chocolate... I try to keep it to a once or twice a week treat.  A few chocolate chips, or a 1/4 ounce dark Belgian.
No breads, except when I'm feeling ambitious and make my own.
Pasta has become less frequent, maybe twice a month.
I love pastries, but they are a very rare indulgence.
Mayo is rare... again, I make my own, in small batches.  I don't even go through a half pint before its time to toss it.
Butter is rare... usually for a bit of saute', or for baking.
Milk.... a tablespoon in my coffee is about it.  Plain yogurt is my main dairy these days.
Cheese... I try try try try to keep it to 2-3 times a week.
Veg. oil... a tablespoon for the occasional saute' or baking, but I actually don't like how it cooks.
Salt... I actually don't use much except for baking.

Now... where I get hung up is with my meats... 
I don't use much hamburger, but oh lordy those roasted Costco chickens are soooooo yummy!
And a nice porterhouse or prime rib steak... (faint)
Sausage or Bacon!!!! hold me back!!!
Ack!!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
Hilarious FMM.  Yes I love cheese too, but I am picky.  I like sharp cheddar mostly.  I am a very picky eater anyway.  "I don't like this and I don't like that".  I don't go to parties much but when I am forced to, such as a graduation, holiday or such, I make sure to pack a lunch, or starve to death.  funny2

I gave up cokes when I quit smoking.  The two always went together, a cold coke, and a cigarette.  Once I didn't have the cigarette, the coke was no fun.  So I don't drink soda either.  I drink a lot of water, skim milk and orange juice made from frozen concentrate.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 07:37:17 PM »
I'm willing to eat ANYTHING someone else cooks!   Bumpurr1

Once the kids were raised, healthy daily meals slowed waaaaay down. 
We go through stages.  Right now, we are in a casserole stage.  Any and every kind. 
Last stage, bought a bunch of different meats...cooked them all on the grill and then froze them.  Take a meat out of the freezer, add a few sides...dinner done!
Crock pot meals are good also...with different work schedules.
We do like to eat at a few different family owned restaurants in the area...about once a week. 
I could eat veggies (fresh, raw, cooked, frozen) 3 meals a day. 

LOVED reading everyone's posts!!
Congrats on the weight loss, Growlies!  Haven't watched the videos yet...but I will!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
PS
We have a Recipe section.  Didn't think anyone was interested.  Only one recipe posted (by me) and no response.   :P
http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?board=113.0

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »
LOL think I eat more Premiums (saltine) crackers & pizza than anything these days. But I'll eat anything with garlic.

Eating's an ordeal these days, something I actually dread.   When I lived down south, primarily fruit, chicken, fish (Grouper YAY!)  -- & Peanut M&Ms which usually served as "vitamin fixes". 

When I did cook a lot,  kitchen turned into a laboratory - no specific recipes. Garlic, herbs, anything that looked good got thrown together until it tasted right....all kinds of conconctions.  The more chopping of things required, the more fun (never followed recipes  Bumpurr1 )

Water & coffee = only beverages. Water's the only beverage at work. Used to be a BIG TIME Sweet (iced) Tea addict.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »
PS
We have a Recipe section.  Didn't think anyone was interested.  Only one recipe posted (by me) and no response.   :P
http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?board=113.0

Doh!  I didn't see that, lol.

Thought I'd mention where I'm getting my produce these days... it's through an all volunteer online co-op:
Bountiful Baskets

I am loving it!

A full basket costs $15.
It's comprised of approximately 50% fruits & 50% veggies.
The mix is different each week.... this is the part where some folks get hung up, but I like the surprise element.
This week we got:
6 apples
6 oranges
10 key limes
4 bananas
2 mangoes
1 whole pineapple
1 head romaine
3 cucumbers
4 roma tomatoes
3 long yellow squash
1 onion

It's actually so much, that I usually split 2 baskets with 2 other friends (we each get 2/3 basket for $10).
For a 2-person household, this usually lasts me 2 weeks.

There are also "add ons" that you can get for a little extra cost.
Usually there is;
breads
extra veggies
extra fruits

Sometimes they also have;
cookies
cakes
asian pack (lemon grass, ginger, garlic...)
mexican pack (cilantro, avacados, lemons, peppers...)
italian pack (basil, parsely, garlic, onion...)

Seasonally they might offer flats/cases of;
apples (got some this last week!)
strawberries
plums
mangoes
pickling cucumbers

It's a lot of fun.
They have setups for several states now, you might want to check their locations to see if there's one near you.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
As a person who just recently changed their diet and easily lost 60 lbs. doing it. I'd recommend these videos and links to anyone.

Minding your Mitochondria

Watched the above video.  W O W! 
Dr. Terry Wahls learned how to properly fuel her body. Using the lessons she learned at the subcellular level, she used diet to cure her MS and get out of her wheelchair.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
PS
Growlies,
Is the recipe, in the first video, what you are eating now? 

Offline Growlies

• Yapper
    • Growlies.ca
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
I try.

Dr. Wahls diet is pretty much a Paleo diet with even more greens. So yes I am doing my best to follow that diet. When she talks about cups of food that is before it is cooked :) because unlike our pets humans have been cooking for as long as our genome has been considered human.

I also follow the recommendations in the second video and I stay away from the modern unhealthy oils that they tell us are healthy but aren't.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:28:34 AM by Growlies »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »
FMM,
The basket sounds like a great idea!  Inexpensive also.

Growlies,
I figured she meant un-cooked.  She showed a plate of un-cooked greens and such.  I don't see me having the desire to follow her recipe, but ... the benefits... W O W!  I'll have to watch the video again, see if it appeals more to me the second time around. 

Tags: