Author Topic: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list  (Read 94569 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Carrageenan-free canned cat food list
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
I second what MC said... the list is on going.  The only criteria is that the food be carrageenan free. 

As far as company reputations, other ingredients, etc... it is up to the furkid parent to make a decision. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2015, 09:29:18 AM »
PS  :)
When I fed canned, I often had one brand that contained carrageenan in our rotation.  (No, I am not recommending others do the same.) There isn't a pet food company that manufactures the "perfect" canned food.  Even if there was, I would not have fed one brand only.  Rotating brands was THE most important criteria... for me. 

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
Re the hole in the middle of First Mate, Nature's Logic Rabbit has the same thing. I think
it's to facilitate letting the gravy out of the can.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »
I don't think Nature's Variety Rabbit is sourced from China any longer based on
the reply of one of their company reps on Amazon which states that they now
source their rabbit from the U.S. Our Furkids do not like rabbit but for those
who do, I thought this was an important note.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2015, 04:27:28 PM »
I couldn't find any "reps" making comments about Nature's Variety Rabbit, just reviewers, and they're giving conflicting information. Answers were too wishy-washy.

I don't think I'd trust it b/c getting it from France doesn't mean that France didn't import it from China and then export it to Nature's Variety. I've heard some information out there that countries are now doing this.

Now I always go for the "bad" reviews and ignore the good ones until later if the bad doesn't run me off first. Too many cases of companies posting false good reviews. I've seen people Tweet that they actually make a living off of doing reviews for things they've never seen in their lives.

They'd like to sell me 10,000 followers for $25 too.  pullingouthair
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:28:59 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »
Some time ago, someone from here contacted them.  They said their rabbit is no longer sourced from China.  It is sourced from France. Made in the US and SOURCED in the US... two different things. 

Anyway, I removed the comment "sourced from China" from the original page of this thread.  Thanks for the reminder!

Our cats LOVE rabbit.  They loved canned rabbit, when I fed canned.  They now love raw rabbit even more so! 

I don't think Nature's Variety Rabbit is sourced from China any longer based on
the reply of one of their company reps on Amazon which states that they now
source their rabbit from the U.S. Our Furkids do not like rabbit but for those
who do, I thought this was an important note.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:29:18 PM by Lola »

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2015, 01:01:35 AM »
Lola....I agree, rotation is the key.  We rotate 8 different canned foods for breakfast and 8 different foods for dinner---all carageenan free...all fish-free except for the one type of Fromm. So we have 16 different types of foods....mostly chicken, a few turkey and 1 duck. It took a great deal of trial & error and money to find the right mix----to find foods they like, produce great stools, silky coats and happy cats.....carageenan and fish free.....well, as you said, you either end up with one food with carageenan or one food with fish! I'm always on the lookout for another great canned food. Boy, have we ever donated a lot of food to our local humane society. :-[

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »
Lola....I agree, rotation is the key.  We rotate 8 different canned foods for breakfast and 8 different foods for dinner---all carageenan free...all fish-free except for the one type of Fromm. So we have 16 different types of foods....mostly chicken, a few turkey and 1 duck. It took a great deal of trial & error and money to find the right mix----to find foods they like, produce great stools, silky coats and happy cats.....carageenan and fish free.....well, as you said, you either end up with one food with carageenan or one food with fish! I'm always on the lookout for another great canned food. Boy, have we ever donated a lot of food to our local humane society. :-[

WOW.... good for you!  The more I learned about different ingredients and/or companies, the less options I had available.  Plus, we also have 6 (7 at one point) cats.  If anyone had an issue with a brand or protein, it was taken out of rotation for everyone.  I think I ended up with 3 (maybe 4) different brands in our rotation, before I stopped feeding canned.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:00:43 PM by Lola »

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2015, 12:07:13 AM »
Thanks Lola.  :)

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »
I was surprised to say the least, that Nutro's Natural Choice line has several canned cat foods which are Carageenan and fish free,
especially the 'soft loaves'. There are about half a dozen poulty types which contain no Carageenan or Xanthum gum or fish.

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »
Further re Nutro....I should add  that in 2007 Nutro had some major recalls. Secondly, they do not put any probiotics in their food---personally probiotics of some type is something I like to see in canned foods.  Nevertheless they do have a selection of carageenan foods, however, due to Nutro's history I would be reticient to try this food, especially on my Seniors.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2015, 07:25:30 PM »
Thank you Joy!  I see that some do and some don't, so one has to be careful to read labels before purchasing.  I''ve added Nutro to the list, with that clarification until I have more time to sort through what does and what doesn't. Thank you!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
Ask Shadow about Nutro.  She LOVES Nutro Associates!!!   >:D

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
No Carageenan  in Whole Earth Farms canned foods. Holistic Select also does not contain Carageenan but it does contain Xantham Gum. Our cats really do like it so I serve the chicken pate. insofar as Whole Earth is concerned, I have never tried it....has anyone?

Offline joy

• Yapper
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2015, 08:21:59 PM »
Two more foods without Carageenan:

Holistic Select
Party Animal
 rainbow3