Author Topic: Rocks in Natural Balance Cat Food?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Rocks in Natural Balance Cat Food?
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/rocks-in-natural-balance-cat-food

Here is a picture – sent to me by a pet food consumer – of what appears to be rocks/pebbles found in three separate cases (all different lot numbers) of Natural Balance Cat Food.   This has been reported to FDA, State Department of Agriculture, and Natural Balance.  As well, the consumer has shared what Natural Balance has told her and I had a couple of insiders look at the picture – here’s what they said too.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Rocks in Natural Balance Cat Food?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
Interesting comment...

Gayze January 17, 2014 at 6:09 pm
From an old ag sciences/animal agriculture major wh had to work the slaughter and processing shift in college in order to graduate.
Funny how I became a vegetarian right around then….
Actually, chickens (and many other birds) do eat rocks. The rocks pass (mostly) through their crops, which is toward the beginning of the bird’s digestive tract, and they actually begin the process of grinding hard foods such as grains, before passing into the proventriculus (the closest thing a chicken has to a “true” stomach) and gizzard (a muscular, grinding organ, where the rocks do most of their work to grind up the harder grains) and then into the lower portions of the digestive tract.
That said, however, in a “proper” slaughter situation, the digestive tract is removed from the carcass and any edible portions of it (aka “giblets”) cleaned and processed for human consumption. The remnants (mostly intestines), if sold for animal feed, are supposed to be properly cleaned before sent on to processing. If the cleaning process is not removing something as obvious as rocks from the birds’ system, then the chance that there is also a load of feces, which is much harder to clean out, being processed into the food is … downright creepy.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:32:49 AM »
Interesting comment...

Okay now. That just TRULY grossed me out.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »
I can attest that comment is right on target. 
When I went to the chicken slaughter, I learned very quickly about the parts that needed to be removed.  Since I went primarily to glean bits for pet food (heads, organs), the other folks there kept asking if I wanted the gullets and intestinal tracts.  After close examination, I decided against them.  There was too much probability of rocks and feces left in them.  Cleaning out the giblets was educational as well, they were full of grass, hay, silt, and pebbles. 

So, yeah... if there are rocks in the food, that says there was a breakdown in the cleaning of the meats in the first place.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:07:19 PM »
What is even creepier...the person said the rocks weren't "just" in one particular batch, but in 3 different lots.   
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: