Author Topic: Large breed puppy food?  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Large breed puppy food?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »
If you think it will cause a problem otherwise, I have no problem doing a week (or two) long transition from one food to the next, and I have prozyme and things I can add to ease the transitions. I am just really uncomfortable with the idea of her eating food from the same company exclusively for a year or more.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
I KNOW it causes problems unless you do the couple of weeks transition between foods. If you want to transition a lot, feel free. Most of us find it to be a big pain in the patootie though.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
Our Lacy dog is fed 3 (sometimes 4) different brands of wet.  Every meal is a different brand and protein.  Oh, and she gets Lucky's (deceased cat) portion of food, and some raw.  She has no issues, as long as the brands are similar... as far as ingredients. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »
Every meal is a different brand and protein. 

For some reason, when they're fed canned, it doesn't seem to affect them the way kibble does. Changing kibbles fast makes them get gassy, sometimes have bad diarrhea, etc. Changing around different raw meat doesn't seem to do the same either. They're getting 6-7 meats rotated at any given time.

Except for those few brands of kibble out there now that are designed to just switch "flavors." I never had problems with Taste of the Wild or Nature's Variety Instinct--I changed flavors every time I got it to try to keep allergies to proteins from occurring. But totally changing brands of kibble fast? Not so good at all.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:22:59 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »
Wonder why a difference for kibble? 

Now that you mention it, I do remember issues (not always, but often) when changing kibble brands.  I wonder if it is because, when I fed kibble, it was the same brand until gone.  Their bodies got used to whatever they were being fed?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:44:42 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »
Wonder why a difference for kibble? 

I'm not sure why. I just know it does. Often rather badly if one starts diarrhea. Then you have to go buy a small bag of the old stuff and slowly change it to stop it. I'm also not sure why more brands don't do what Nature's Variety and a few others have done and make it where problems don't happen--as long as you stick with their brand.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
I don't remember any problems when changing flavors, but staying with the same brand.  That doesn't mean it didn't happen...

Tags: