Author Topic: Dr. Elsey Of Precious Cat Litters - Interview  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dr. Elsey Of Precious Cat Litters - Interview
« on: February 23, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »
After he discusses his different litters...

Is there anything else that you’d like to add/mention?

Yes, there is something I’d like to mention – it’s more like a pet peeve of mine – I really think cats need to be on canned food.  Cats get twice the amount of moisture from canned food than they do from dry food.

Kidney failure is the number 1 demise of cats, and while I cannot prove it I have to think there is a correlation there.

A cats’ urine on dry food has a higher specific gravity.  In other words, it’s thicker, so they are in a chronic state of dehydration their entire life.  I think it’s hugely important for longevity and to eliminate urinary issues we are always dealing with – like crystals and more.

The other issue with dry food is that there is a lot of carbs in it.  Cats are obligate carnivores and dry food is not a natural diet for the cat.

Some vets think dry food helps to clean a cat’s teeth.  This simply doesn’t make sense because the way that cats chew their food is different than the way we chew our food – we can move our jaw back and forth, it’s more of a grinding motion for us – whereas a cat it’s more a up and down motion.  There is not a significant way to prevent tartar with dry food given the way they chew.
http://www.floppycats.com/interview-with-dr-elsey-of-precious-cat-litters.html
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: