Author Topic: Is It REALLY possible...  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Is It REALLY possible...
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:01:10 PM »
...that Lola and Lucy no longer have any dental issues? According to our previous vet, their mouths were a WRECK last time… resorptions, gingivitis, FORL, etc. 

I was told that Lucy would eventually lose all her teeth, and that FORL doesn't just go away.  Sooooo I assumed a dental just fixed current issues, but wouldn't stop future issues.  This all took place at previous vet.

Anyway...I considered having all of Lucy's teeth removed at one time.  I thought about her mouth/teeth hurting her over and over again. Plus, how many dental surgeries would I be putting her though?  I couldn’t bring myself to have it done though.

I'm not looking for trouble. I just don't want to blindly trust another vet.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Is It REALLY possible...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »
I wouldn't expect a dental to prevent future issues.  Dentals just "correct" existing issues, and in the case of cleaning, possibly delay future issues.  But IMO, they don't prevent them from happening.  A species-appropriate diet, IMO, does.  The body can and wants to heal itself.  It just needs the right tools (nutrients) to do that.

You went all-raw with them.  Because of that, they are now getting a super-healthy diet that's providing them the nutrients they need to maintain their health, including dental health.  I truly think dental health is just as much (or more) about the proper vitamins and minerals than about "cleaning" the teeth with bones.  I'm sure chewing on bones helps, but I personally think it's more about the nutrients IN the bones that makes the difference.

The furkids are getting what they need now.  So I think, barring anything catastrophic, that it's very possible they won't have dental issues in the future, or if they do, that they'll be minimal, as long as they continue on raw.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Just my  2cents.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:07:32 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Is It REALLY possible...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:16:09 PM »
I expected their teeth and gums would be a bit less horrific, because of the raw food... but I didn't expect awesome results. 
What you said, Pookie, does make sense.  Thanks!!!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: