Author Topic: Stella And Chewys Frozen Raw  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Stella And Chewys Frozen Raw
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:57:53 AM »
I know we have talked about it within other threads, but thought I would start a dedicated thread.   ;D

I recently purchased the rabbit.  It sure thaws fast!  That is a plus.  Everyone ate it.  They didn't come running back for seconds, like they do with other brands of rabbit though.  They go crazy for the Stella And Chewys freeze dried...any flavor.  I found that kind of interesting. 
Anyway, I prefer to rotate different brands as much as possible.  But... I don't think the raw version will be in our rotation.  It is a bit pricey for me to feed my bunch.  A daily feeding (all 3 meals) would cost me almost 30 bucks!  For that kind of money, I could take them out to eat!  ;)

The rabbit is the most expensive.  There is chicken and duck that are a bit less.  But we had enough chicken (other brands) on hand, and I don't feed duck.  That is why I bought the rabbit. 

I will keep it (the dog version) in rotation for Lacy though.  It just seems a lot less steep when feeding one dog vs 6 cats. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:59:51 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Stella And Chewys Frozen Raw
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:57:20 AM »
Jennie and Queen Eva get S&C frozen rabbit on Sunday mornings.  A bag lasts me 5 weeks. :)

Why do you not feed duck?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »
Publix has rabbit where its chicken liver and gizzards are. I'm going to start getting some for special occasions. It's not in the mass quantities that break the bank.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »

Why do you not feed duck?

When I first started feeding raw, I fed it on occasion.  Duck (with bones and organs) from Hare-Today. It is more expensive than other proteins.  Also, Dr. Pierson states that it is high in fat and some cats could have issues.  It just seemed like there were more reasons not to feed it, than reason TO feed it.   

BUT I am working on feeding less chicken, so I may reconsider duck.  :) 

I also don't buy cuts of meat from grocery chains for the furkids.  I tend to worry about it be overly handled.  And there are too may recalls for my comfort.  I buy it for myself though... but I eat it cooked.  :)  I tend to be more comfortable with a place (like Hare-Today) that strictly deals with raw meats intended for pet consumption. 

We all have our hang-ups.  :) 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
I also don't buy cuts of meat from grocery chains for the furkids.  I tend to worry about it be overly handled.  And there are too may recalls for my comfort.  I buy it for myself though... but I eat it cooked.  :)  I tend to be more comfortable with a place (like Hare-Today) that strictly deals with raw meats intended for pet consumption. 

We all have our hang-ups.  :) 

I used to be more hung up about it, but the meats I buy come frozen, so I worry less about those. I'm not going to buy it when it's sitting there fresh and not freeze it for a long time, but I've never had a problem with the frozen beef & chicken liver, or chicken gizzards and hearts, so I've become a little more trusting about it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:12:29 AM »
I tend (or try to) lean towards the least amount of possible complications.  With a houseful of cats, the odds are higher for there to be an issue.  And it is often difficult to narrow down WHO is having an issue. 

Tags: