Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119003 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #255 on: October 05, 2017, 05:09:58 AM »
Something new this morning.  We went down to the litter boxes as usual. I saw she had already peed.  I knew Mazy cat was due for a poop so after asking her "Do you want a ride?" I lifted her up into the litter box she likes to poop in.  Instead of pooping she puked up two sizable wads of fur!  Mazy never brings up fur without food.  I always do wish, if she has to bring it up, it would come up before the meal!  This time, for the first time ever, it did.  I scooped it out and praised her to the skies.  She hopped out of the box. 

But wait....what about your poop Mazy cat?  She turned to look at me when I said that so I picked her up and put her back in the box she likes to poop in.  This time she obliged with a poop.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #256 on: October 09, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »
Aside from that litter aberration reported above Mazy cat is continuing with her current patter.  She goes 6 or 7 or sometimes 10 days without vomiting.  Then she vomits a meal. 

Often, lately, those vomits do contain wads of fur.  She didn't used to bring any fur up. But it is coming up now.  No staggering.  Then she skips a day, then she vomits again, again with fur.  Then she goes on for another 6, 7 or 10 days.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
Mazy cat has a new pattern, just in case I was getting bored.  She's stopped bringing up fur in her most recent episodes.  And lately, after she brings up the meal, when she indicates she's ready to eat again and I give her a small amount, that comes up too.  Again, no fur.

Her spans between continue to run every 7-10 days, except this one which was only 4 days.  But I know she's got some fur needing to be moved.  Her last week or so of poops she's been passing almost no fur.  I finally gave her a few drops of mineral oil (not something I recommend generally speaking) with Sunday lunch, and yesterday afternoon she gifted me with a nice furry poop. 

But it wasn't enough. Obviously.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #258 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:57 AM »
Mazy cat didn't eat again until bed time.  She ate a small meal of chicken breast, skin and egg yolk, with SEB and probiotic, and kept it down.

Incidentally, in spite of her tummy upsets she was quite lively and playful last night.

Early this morning I heard her coughing, before I got up.  She coughed again shortly after I got up.  I decided, given her issues last night and the coughing this morning, to give her a little coconut oil meal this morning. Just a tiny amount of food mixed with half a tsp of coconut oil.  This seems to help her when she's coughing.  I still believe the coughing is not asthma related, but rather she gets fur stuck in her throat.  What contributes to this theory is the coconut oil always makes her feel better.

Her coughing is sporadic and not frequent.  Have discussed it with the vet.

By the way she had her check up November 10.  Her liver values (ALT) are creeping back up again..only 105 (100 is high normal), but just the fact that they are rising.

She'll be going back on the Denosyl, vet wanted to retest in a month.  I asked, could I go two months.  I just can't justify putting Mazy cat through appointments this often.  So when the denosyl comes she'll take it for two months, and then I'll have to bring her back for retesting.

Her lymphocytes are low, but I didn't get a chance to ask what that means.  There is something wrong with my phone since the cable "upgrade" which I didn't realize until I actually used it and the connection was very poor when talking to the vet...

Edited to add, this morning I've opted to give her third meal as her final meal and added extra mucilage/anti inflammatory.  Normally her third meal has marshmallow root (mucilage/anti inflammatory), cosequin, probiotic and ACV. 

Today I added 1/8 tsp of slippery elm bark (mucilage/anti inflammatory) as well, and did not give her the fourth meal.  This will give all that mucilage time to work and hopefully get things moving..

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2017, 06:24:05 AM »
Mazy cat is doing much better, all better even, this morning.  At lunch time yesterday she was still urpy, and last night, while she ate and kept things down, she did not clean her dishes, and at one point did sit like she had a bit of tummy ache. 

None of this stopped her from being her usual Thunder Around The House cat though. Almost 14 and still playing like a kitten.  All my cats have always done so.

Last night in bed I kept dreaming that she wasn't eating at all.  Ugh.

Anyway, she hasn't had a poop since Tuesday night so she is due, (she goes every 36 hours) but I am guessing, by her feeling better, that the wad has finally started to move out. I mean, finally got itself past the pyloric opening into the intestine, and hopefully on to the colon and OUT.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2017, 04:24:41 PM »
Mazy cat is still doing well.  I found a single solid fur poop when I came home for lunch, small, but all fur. Thankfully her fur is so much lighter in color than the other two, I can identify it as hers with no guessing.  Must have been rough pushing that thing out!  After she ate she had another poop, but it also was just three small pieces and not much fur. No straining.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2017, 04:49:52 AM »
More fur poop this morning. No straining, but man, that fur must feel scratchy coming out I would think.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
Nothing to add...just listening. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
More fur poop this morning. No straining, but man, that fur must feel scratchy coming out I would think.

But is it top-coat or undercoat that's coming out with grooming? I know V&B's undercoat feels like silk.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
But is it top-coat or undercoat that's coming out with grooming? I know V&B's undercoat feels like silk.

Mazy cat's fur is very soft, especially the light colored undercoat, but still, I don't know if it feels soft actually coming out.  I haven't ever actually touched it, to see, when pulling poop apart.  Maybe next time I will.

Stay tuned

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #265 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:16 AM »
In case anyone has been holding your breath on this, I have not yet taken the time to stroke the fur in Mazy cat's poop, to see if it is scratchy or soft.  funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2017, 05:22:35 AM »
Mazy cat's last cycle lasted two days.  She didn't vomit the second day but was still feeling urpy and skipped a couple of meals.  She's been like that before, I just want it on record here, so I can check back.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #267 on: December 24, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
Mazy cat went 11 days between pukes this time. While on paper that sounds great, it really isn't because, when she goes more than a week, her established pattern is she pukes for several days afterward.

Yesterday morning she brought up her third breakfast meal, and I didn't even know until I went into the bedroom and found it on the rug.  (usually she runs downstairs and pukes on the cardboard I keep on the floor down there)

No fur in it, very very foul smelling, which is also typical for a longer span between.  It may have been more than just a single meal, hard to know since it had been there long enough to soak into the rug a bit.

So I gave her an aloe/seb blob and a tiny bit of food to wash the blod down, and that was all before I left the house.  I was gone about 6 hours, and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening just feeding her very small meals, with plain meat and bone broth.  All seemed to be going well until her bedrtime meal (which did contain egg yolk and SEB) came back up, and it was foul smelling again. That one had a blob of fur in it, but it was fresh fur.

This morning she had a small poop, and it had a little fur in it, but not enough. She's getting tiny amounts (0.2 oz) every half hour.

I do have a question.  I weighed them this morning and she was 2 ounces down from last week.  She usually stays pretty steady, not varying by more than a half ounce. Could yesterday's food deficit have caused a temporary 2 oz weight loss? Like..."water weight"..you think?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
Today I started the Organix canned food introduction, chicken pate.  I am posting it in Mazy cat's thread because it is Mazy cat who is the issue.  I am sure Jennie and Queen Eva could handle any canned food, any time (not that I would give them just "any")

As I have mentioned here and there, I need a canned food Mazy cat can eat, for emergencies (such as a power outage).  Even after a year or more without it, she could eat the By Nature Organic, without re-introduction, because her body had always been able to handle it.  Since that is gone, I have been searching for years for something else.

Organix recently revised their recipes and have gotten two certifications, USDA Organic, and equally, if not more,  important (to Mazy cat) non-GMO Project Verified.  They still include things I would rather not feed, the food is very pea heavy, and has other fruits and veg in smaller amounts.  But no gums, no carrageenan no menadione sodium bisulfate.

I have got to have something.

I've been talking to Feline Natural by the way.  While they are not certified organic or non-GMO Project Verified, they are a New Zealand company and that is where their ingredients come from, and they have confirmed their foods are non-GMO (I think GMO is mainly a problem in the USA)

I haven't turned to their canned foods to try because they don't have single source proteins.  however in a recent conversation with them they told me they are planning a new line with single source proteins.  So that may be a better option, in the future.

Organix isn't ideal.  it is pea heavy (as was the By Nature so I know Mazy cat can handle it), has other ingredients I don't like, and is owned by Purina, which galls me.  But (they claim) they operate independently, and they HAVE gone through the rigorous and expensive steps to become USDA Certified Organic and non-GMO Project Verified.

Jennie and Queen Eva each had half an ounce today and Mazy cat had 0.2 oz.  In a couple of days I will slip her another 0.2 ounces and continue that way for a couple of weeks, every few days.  Once I am sure it's not going to bother her ( fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed)  I will try her with a bigger serving every few days.  If that stays down consistently I will consider her transitioned and just have it here for emergencies.

Incidentally, they all went berserk over it. funny2

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »
Today I started the Organix canned food introduction, chicken pate.  I am posting it in Mazy cat's thread because it is Mazy cat who is the issue.  I am sure Jennie and Queen Eva could handle any canned food, any time (not that I would give them just "any")

As I have mentioned here and there, I need a canned food Mazy cat can eat, for emergencies (such as a power outage).  Even after a year or more without it, she could eat the By Nature Organic, without re-introduction, because her body had always been able to handle it.  Since that is gone, I have been searching for years for something else.

Organix recently revised their recipes and have gotten two certifications, USDA Organic, and equally, if not more,  important (to Mazy cat) non-GMO Project Verified.  They still include things I would rather not feed, the food is very pea heavy, and has other fruits and veg in smaller amounts.  But no gums, no carrageenan no menadione sodium bisulfate.

I have got to have something.

I've been talking to Feline Natural by the way.  While they are not certified organic or non-GMO Project Verified, they are a New Zealand company and that is where their ingredients come from, and they have confirmed their foods are non-GMO (I think GMO is mainly a problem in the USA)

I haven't turned to their canned foods to try because they don't have single source proteins.  however in a recent conversation with them they told me they are planning a new line with single source proteins.  So that may be a better option, in the future.

Organix isn't ideal.  it is pea heavy (as was the By Nature so I know Mazy cat can handle it), has other ingredients I don't like, and is owned by Purina, which galls me.  But (they claim) they operate independently, and they HAVE gone through the rigorous and expensive steps to become USDA Certified Organic and non-GMO Project Verified.

Jennie and Queen Eva each had half an ounce today and Mazy cat had 0.2 oz.  In a couple of days I will slip her another 0.2 ounces and continue that way for a couple of weeks, every few days.  Once I am sure it's not going to bother her ( fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed)  I will try her with a bigger serving every few days.  If that stays down consistently I will consider her transitioned and just have it here for emergencies.

Incidentally, they all went berserk over it. funny2

PS  I forgot to mention:  No crouch immediately after eating, indicating a tummy ache, even though I forgot to add a drop of ACV! 

Now it is 45 minutes later.

No puke. No sign of urpiness at all

If she can tolerate this food, this is going to be a huge worry off my mind.

One more thing, those 2 ounces she lost in December have stayed lost, though no more loss. So slipping the extra canned bits in will help her put that back on too.

Tags: