Author Topic: It’s Coming…Pet Food made with Crickets  (Read 2308 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
It’s Coming…Pet Food made with Crickets
« on: November 17, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
This brings a whole new meaning to the crickets we talk about hearing from a lot of uncooperative companies:

Would you buy a dog food or cat food with “crickets” or “cricket meal” listed in the ingredient panel? A ground cricket treat for your cat or dog? Get ready…it’s coming.

The press release on the new company – Dockside Pet Products and Services – states “an innovative new pet food company serving North America with a mission to deliver the best in pet nutrition using rescued fresh food and environmentally sustainable ingredients to craft delicious treats, meal mixers, and meal toppers for dogs and cats.”

Dockside Pet Products plans to source “fresh seafood, vegetables, and fruits that don’t make it to retail market and are otherwise wasted for cosmetic or other reasons that don’t negatively impact their nutritional value.” And the company plans to source crickets…

continued at: http://truthaboutpetfood.com/its-comingpet-food-made-with-crickets/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: It’s Coming…Pet Food made with Crickets
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:16:08 PM »
I know quite a few people who feed their raw fed cats crickets periodically.  However, let the PFI get a hold of an idea and you can be sure it will be over processed, toxic, or not really crickets at all.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »
They're just going to kill any good aspects of it with their high heat processing.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »
They're just going to kill any good aspects of it with their high heat processing.

Yep

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 08:12:01 PM »
I wonder if this would be a good option for those that feed canned?  I guess time will tell...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:49:46 PM »
  Dockside Pet Products plans to source “fresh seafood, vegetables, and fruits that don’t make it to retail market and are otherwise wasted for cosmetic or other reasons that don’t negatively impact their nutritional value.” 

yuk  Am I the only one who finds that a bit disturbing?

As for crickets, heck, you can buy a container of them (dead, and possible dehydrated) at PetSmart or PetCo (you can get the live ones there, too). 

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »
yuk  Am I the only one who finds that a bit disturbing?

I was wondering if that meant DDD meat and rotting vegetables too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 11:40:41 PM »

that don’t make it to retail market and are otherwise wasted for cosmetic or other reasons that don’t negatively impact their nutritional value

My first thought was the same as all of you, BUT then I got to thinking about the fruits and veggies that are donated to food banks, from local grocery stores.  The food is still very good... just not top notch looking. 

I'm doing my best to look for some POSSIBLE positives...   Silly7

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »
When I used to frequent PetCo for cat litter, I would often buy live crickets as well.  The cats LOVE them... and I love watching them hunt them down and gobble them up.  For me, being a raw feeder, I would have no use for canned crickets. 

However, if I was still feeding canned and Weruva (for example) was to sell canned cricket... I'd probably be all over it. 

Tags: crickets