Author Topic: Krill oil vs Green Lipped Mussel (human trial)  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Krill oil vs Green Lipped Mussel (human trial)
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:50:02 AM »
I've been taking krill oil for many years as an anti-inflammatory for arthritis.  Recently, after putting Mazy cat on green lipped mussel and seeing the amazing results I wondered if I should switch myself to GLM.

So first I went off the krill.  I was curious to see how much difference there would be. Was it helping me as much as I remembered?  Looking back to when I first started taking it I remembered the results being a bit subtle..not dramatic.

After two weeks off the krill I thought I noticed I was feeling a bit stiffer and getting some twinges in my fingers I didn't remember having before.

After six weeks I most definitely was having more arthritis pain, especially in my wrists, and suddenly, most noticeably in my bad foot. It was aching all the time.

I also noticed my hair seemed dry and dull.

At two months I was clearly having a lot more pain and stiffness, and I started the GLM.  I don't go with 'loading' doses.  I start slow and work up.  The recommended loading dose is huge (in my opinion), three capsules twice a day.

I started with one capsule once a day for a week, at lunch time.

The second week I increased it to two capsules at lunch time.  All of a sudden I started having an itchy head problem.  At first I didn't make the connection.  I worried about lice.  I scratched and scratched and scratched.  I asked a friend to check my head.  No lice, and when I scratched, no flakes were falling (which might indicate dandruff, something I have never had)

I was also getting a headache in the afternoon.

I continued this way for another week and my head was making me crazy. The daily headache was troublesome too.  A co-worker asked me if I'd changed anything in my diet recently and the light bulb went on.

I started noticing that the itchy head, like the headache, was only a problem in the afternoon.

I stopped the GLM.  Itchy head and afternoon headache went away, the headache immediately, the itchy head  within two days.

I am back on the krill and have doubled up to get my levels back where they were before I started this experiment.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Krill oil vs Green Lipped Mussel (human trial)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
You probably need to go to an allergist and at least get tested for shellfish. You're describing a lot of my allergy symptoms--the same symptoms for a lot of people with allergies. Headaches and itching.

If you're allergic to shellfish, you really need to know b/c, outside of nuts, it's one of the most likely ones to cause anaphylactic shock.

EDIT: If you have food allergies, it's not something you might want to know. It's something you need to know.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:51:51 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
Thanks Dee.  I'm still taking the krill though, with no trouble, (except after I read up on the symptoms of shell fish allergy after seeing this post, then I had every symptom listed for about half an hour lol). I mean I went back to to the krill after stopping the GLM.

I understand an allergy can happen at any time..that happened to me with honey, the only food allergy reaction I've ever had and it was very sudden after eating honey all my life.

I'll have the skin test next time I see the doc, I don't think an allergist is necessary. But I do appreciate the warning. x

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »
I mean I went back to to the krill after stopping the GLM.

Fish allergy and shellfish allergy are 2 different animals, so it's possible you're allergic to the GLM but not to krill.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 07:24:48 PM »
Krill is not fish, it is crustacean, which is shellfish.  Mussels are mollusks.  Both are considered shellfish.  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:29 PM »
Krill is not fish, it is crustacean, which is shellfish. 

Well I thought krill were fish. Never researched the stuff at all since there's no use.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 05:18:43 AM »
Of course Dee.  If you aren't using it and don't plan to, there wouldn't be any need for you to know. Krill is an excellent anti-inflammatory and I have been very happy with the results over the last 3 years.  GLM is more sustainabley harvested, and it helps Mazy cat so much I thought I'd give it a try.

Another problem I encountered after going off the krill oil was a return of the bowel irregularity I've suffered most of my life until going on the krill.  I never even realized it was the krill oil that was helping me in that area until I went off it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
Just bumping this because Pookie had asked awhile back to let her know when I tried the GLM. I know threads don't always show up in the new list

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »
Just bumping this because Pookie had asked awhile back to let her know when I tried the GLM. I know threads don't always show up in the new list

Thanks.  I did see it, including the effect it had on you.  My mother's been taking it (when she remembers  ::)) for a couple of months now, I think.  I don't know if it's helping her, esp. since she's not consistent about taking it.  But she didn't have the reaction that you did.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 06:26:04 AM »
Still regretting going off the krill.  I'm back on it of course, but I wonder how long it's going to take before it helps with my....'irregularity' again.   Since I didn't know, back when I first started using it, it was going to help me in that area, I don't know how long it took.

What a nightmare. I may have to go back to the orange juice/prune juice cocktails. Sigh.....

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
 :( :( :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: