Author Topic: Avocado mattress  (Read 242 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Avocado mattress
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
What do you think?  Too good to be true?  The reviews are incredible.

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/shop/avocado-mattress/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Avacado mattress
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »
Well I don't see any of the "toxic mattress list" items on it. Maybe you should check for yourself though:

https://betterbedsolutions.com/7-health-hazards/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Avacado mattress
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »
Thanks for the link.  yeah, the Avocado is, if you can believe them, free of all those toxins.  the latex is from the rubber tree, the wool is from New Zealand and the cotton is from..I forget, but it is organic cotton.

It's an expensive bed, because it's only a mattress, no foundation.  but you know what I spent $1300 on my last bed (including foundation), which sucked from the moment it was delivered and had a sag in less than a month, but by then the family owned business who had been around for 40 years had closed and I was SOL.

That was just over 10 years ago. Summer 2007.

I am desperate for a new bed.  I loathe memory foam anyway and cannot tolerate mattress shopping.  I've tried.  The salespeople are like leeches, and I don't trust them, either. All we have here is Metromattress now and I know they are the king of the bait and switch.

If I bought this bed, well there's a 100 day trial, free return full refund.  But of course if I hate it and send it back I have no bed at all.

it's a major investment, especially considering I just spent almost $1000 on underwear and footwear, also desperately needed. (When I find boots that fit right I stock up.  so I am good for about 6 years on boots)

I'm going to need a new car next year too probably.  I'd LIKE to think I can get another year out of this one.  Especially because of the floods last year, I don't want to end up with a car that sat in a flooded lot for a week, you know? If I could wait a year, I would be okay.  (I buy year old model program car.  I'm on my 3rd)

Could I use my existing frame for this mattress? The pictures do not show a box spring foundation. Would I just keep my existing box spring, or would that be bad for the new bed?

I didn't see anything about foundation on the site except for one comment in a review who said they bought the frame from another site, recommended by Avocado.  But I haven't gone over every inch of it yet either.

My aunt keeps recommending bed-in-a-box, says her chiropractor loves them.  But I am a believer you get what you pay for.  I bet those things don't last more than a year, if that. Besides, they are memory foam.  I hate that stuff. Toxins aside, it's like lying in sand.

https://www.bedinabox.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysqz6bPn1wIVQ57ACh21pg0TEAAYASAAEgIF-fD_BwE

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Avocado mattress
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
I think I'm going to buy the pillow to start.  I am also desperate for a pillow.  I've returned every pillow I've bought in the last year.  They all suck.  They are TOO BIG for one thing.  this pillow, you can actually take out the filling if it's too fluffy.

Now, my current pillow IS a memory foam pillow and I absolutely love it. I don't love the memory foam mattresses but this was a wonderful pillow.  Well I did love it anyway.  It's dead now.  But it no longer exists for purchasing, I don't even remember where I bought it.  And if I don't love the Avocado pillow I can return it at no extra cost.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:16 PM »

Could I use my existing frame for this mattress? The pictures do not show a box spring foundation. Would I just keep my existing box spring, or would that be bad for the new bed?

I didn't see anything about foundation on the site except for one comment in a review who said they bought the frame from another site, recommended by Avocado.  But I haven't gone over every inch of it yet either.

The bed they've got the mattress on in the website is a pedestal bed like ours. The foundation is a board, and you don't need springs, or whatevers.

If you don't have a pedestal bed, then you need that bottom section, and as long as you have the same size, you should be good with what you have.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
I think I'm going to buy the pillow to start.  I am also desperate for a pillow.  I've returned every pillow I've bought in the last year.  They all suck.  They are TOO BIG for one thing.  this pillow, you can actually take out the filling if it's too fluffy.

Now, my current pillow IS a memory foam pillow and I absolutely love it. I don't love the memory foam mattresses but this was a wonderful pillow.  Well I did love it anyway.  It's dead now.  But it no longer exists for purchasing, I don't even remember where I bought it.  And if I don't love the Avocado pillow I can return it at no extra cost.

Good luck!   fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:26:09 PM »
We have a Tempur-pedic.  It has a warranty of 25 years.  Hubby and I both HATED it...for months.  It felt like we were sleeping on soft sand or something... hard to describe.  It was just creepy.  lol. One reason we kept it was because neither of us woke up with killer backaches.  That was worth giving it more time. 

Another reason (BIG reason)...We watched a TV show about some creepy things that go on within the mattress world.  All within the law.  Reputable mattress companies.  I don't think there is ANY way Tempur-Pedic could do ANY of the creepy things with their mattresses, that can be done with regular mattresses. 

We also bought an allergy, waterproof, etc. cover.  It proved itself, when Lacy dog barfed on our bed once.   Silly7. To be further weird... I wanted to keep dead skin out of the mattress. 

Fast forward mannnnnnny years... still good as new! 

Whatever mattress you decide on... pedestal beds are the way to go!  No dealing with box springs.  For us, at the time, cats and box springs weren't a good match.   ;D

I did a little bit of Googling ... the Avocado sounds pretty good! 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:38:15 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 07:32:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure I am going to buy this bed. Still doing a little research.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »

thumbsup1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »

Have you ordered the pillow yet?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 04:48:12 AM »
Yes, a few days ago. I've got until the 15th to get the $150 off promotion

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
Did you get the pillow yet?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »
No. Everything is made to order, so it takes a while.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »
No. Everything is made to order, so it takes a while.

Ahhhh.  Makes sense.  I wish they would hurry though.  I want to hear all about it!  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
Just got the shipping notification e mail for the pillow. Just had that shipped to my normal mailing address.  I ordered the mattress yesterday so it looks like I won't be getting that until first week in January at the earliest.

Tags:

'Hare