Author Topic: Possible exception to the "no pre-ground" rule?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Possible exception to the "no pre-ground" rule?
« on: January 25, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
Sprouts, a store that I trust, is having a sale on grass-fed beef.  I will check out everything, of course, but the ground beef is $3.99/lb.  I don't normally like to get pre-ground, but this could be a good chance for me to give them grass-fed, which I cannot usually afford.  They also have lamb for 20% off this week, and I am hoping to pick up some of it, as well.   

Does anyone ever make an exception to the "no pre-ground" rule? 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Possible exception to the "no pre-ground" rule?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »
I almost made the exception for ground bison for Lacy dog.  Same reason... on sale... a treat.  Some people feed their pets road kill!  What could be worse?!  However, when I finally decided... store was out.  Decision made for me.  lol 

All the other sources I buy from... most all of it is already ground.

Go with your gut. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:13:10 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
I almost made the exception for ground bison for Lacy dog.  Same reason... on sale... a treat.  Some people feed their pets road kill!  What could be worse?!  However, when I finally decided... store was out.  Decision made for me.  lol 

All the other sources I buy from... most all of it is already ground.

Go with your gut.

Sounds like a plan.  I know that I would eat a rare burger (I like mine still mooing) made with this stuff without a second thought, so if they still have it when they get there, I will probably get some, unless the other grass-fed is competitive.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
So much COULD go wrong with ground meats... added carp and such... toooo much handling possibly ... the assumption that the meat will be cooked, so maybe lazy handling, etc.  I think it is just best to steer people away from it... in MOST cases. 

I WOULD wait, until some of the others give you their thoughts though.  I learn to not do certain things, but tend to not remember the whys. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »
I'd probably keep it in the freezer a couple of months before using it, but I don't see a problem with it if it's frozen long enough.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: