Author Topic: RadCat (Raw)  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: RadCat (Raw)
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 08:05:18 PM »
UPDATE:  Everyone likes the Rad Cat... when it is served.  It isn't something I feed every day. 
However... today's container was a lot less "solid" than usual.  Didn't look very meaty.  It was more liquid-y, with big chunks of bone.  Bigger than an eraser head, but smaller than a dime.  I have two with a limited amount of teeth, so the larger bone fragments made me a bit nervous.  I know it isn't cooked bone, but still... 

See below for correction.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:35:23 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 04:46:32 AM »
Rad Cat doesn't contain bone. They use organic egg shell calcium.

What protein was it?  I'd let them know there was something weird about it.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 06:07:07 AM »
PS coincidentally I started a new batch of both the turkey and the chicken this morning.  Both do seem to have a couple of little lumps that, to me, look like unblended egg yolk.

I didn't notice them when cutting the tub up to individual portion sizes because I keep it pretty frozen solid when I do that. But thawed and mashed down, I see the little (yolk?) lumps.

numbers on the lids:

Lot 62015 exp 11/15/15

Lot 62017 exp 11/17/15

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
It was definitely rock hard something.  If not bone, I was thinking some sort of hard plastic.  HOWEVER after going into full panic...hubby informed me he re-used the Rad Cat containers for the course ground that I bought from Hare-Today.  He didn't think to mark the containers, because it was Hare Today turkey in a Rad Cat turkey container.  Same protein.  I could kick his AZZ! 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »
It was definitely rock hard something.  If not bone, I was thinking some sort of hard plastic.  HOWEVER after going into full panic...hubby informed me he re-used the Rad Cat containers for the course ground that I bought from Hare-Today.  He didn't think to mark the containers, because it was Hare Today turkey in a Rad Cat turkey container.  Same protein.  I could kick his AZZ! 

Thanks, Lola.  That's the first chuckle I've had in days.   :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 04:33:54 AM »

Hahahaha!!! Good thing you didn't write to them right away to complain!  At least you know you have good detecting abilities.  You KNEW that was bone, even though RC doesn't have bone. (still giggling)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
All I have to say is... THANK GOD is was Hare-Today coarse ground, and not hard plastic or anything else I was imagining  Whew! 
Speaking of coarse ground, I won't be trying that grind again.  Little sharp pieces make me tooooo nervous.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 06:19:50 PM »
Hard plastic, I forgot you were thinking that.  I ageree with you about course ground bone.  Whole pieces (like wings, or necks) are fine, but not sharp chunks.

When you see the way they eat a whole bone you can see why it is safer that way.  I've shown videos of Jennie here, you can see the way she mashes the bone with her teeth, breaking it down and softening it.

The only bone Queen Eva gets currently is Stella & Chewy's (except recently there has been none)  Once in a while I will take some off of Jennie's Sunday bone if it seems larger than I want her to have (to prevent constipation from it) for Queen Eva, but I have to cut it up fine for her so far.  She won't work at a whole one the way Jennie does, and I won't give bone chunks..

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »
I didn't think hard plastic, until you explained that RadCat doesn't contain bones.  lol
I can DEFINITELY understand a wing or whole bone being preferred over pieces.  I've seen your videos.  :)  I also see how some of my cats mash their gizzard snacks. I would assume they would do something similar to a wing. 
Glad you mentioned wings... I need to get around to giving them some.  Baby steps... for me.  I'm SO not a fan of raw meat.  lol However, the more raw mixing I do... the less I gag!  I'm still working through the gross factor with the ones that drag their gizzards to another location.  Eating over a plate and wiping their faces when they are done...too much to ask? ;) 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:03:44 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
RadCat has added Grass-Fed Beef and Pasture-Raised Venison to their line.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:00:54 PM by Lola »

Tags: radcat radfood.com raw