Author Topic: Izzi and Her Aunties  (Read 4368 times)

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
Izzi and Her Aunties
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:08:15 AM »
SO came across some convincing information and wants to add raw to their diet.

Izzi - is dead set on her wet with a sprinkle of kibbles.
Aunties - are on wet and poached chicken seeral times per week

TwoStep - RIP - until her last two weeks she refused anything but chopped liver/chicken and an occasional sip of half and half (now I am afloat again ant she has been gone for almost ten years!)

How do I start? He suggested chopping liver. Fine with me. Someone else suggested chicken thigh bones with some meat on it. .... I am a bit at loss and our local vets are as useful as ... .

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Izzi and Her Aunties
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »
Well, the fact that they eat wet is already a great start, and may make it easier to transition to raw than you might think.  Usually, the difficulty is getting them to go from dry to wet.

For the aunties, since you're already giving them poached chicken, one idea may be to reduce how long the chicken is poached, making it less cooked, and feed it that way, gradually reducing it to a point where the chicken is raw.  Or, if you like, you can "accidentally" drop a piece of raw chicken on the floor and see how any of them react, including Izzi.  They may find it interesting and may even eat it on their own, which means you can skip the poaching altogether.

All cats are different, so different things work for different cats.  As for Izzi, you can put a tiny piece of raw in with her wet and kibble sprinkles, and see how she reacts.

I'm sure the others will have more suggestions, but the above are what came to my mind for now.  And congratulations on SO being more open to raw feeding!  multistars
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
I agree with Pookie... transitioning from canned to raw (at least in my experience) was SO much easier then going from kibble to raw.  Our Jenkins is the only one that went directly from kibble to raw.
Be careful how much liver you feed.  Too much can cause vitamin A toxicity.

I feed our feline bunch ground raw.  A few of them had no interest in chunks.  Others would swallow pieces whole.  Even if there was interest, they ate canned and ground raw for so long... they would have to build up their jaw strength.  I'm lazy... I have no plans to pursue that battle.  Yeah, so I won't be winning raw feeing mom of the year award.  I can live with that.   Silly7

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »
A lot of people recommend starting with a commercially balanced product.  I would recommend Rad Cat for this purpose.

I started with Stella&Chewy's freeze dried.  When I saw how much difference even that change made with Queen Eva, is when I started adding Rad Cat.

I was, before buying, already slipping tiny pieces of raw meat slivers to them as a treat. Jennie and Queen Eva needed no coaxing at al, for any of it.

Mazy cat took about 2 months to even try the Rad Cat, it was a long daily process with her.  I wil be happy to share it, if you want.  Not right at this minute though.  didn't want to read and run as the saying goes.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
I agree with Pookie... transitioning from canned to raw (at least in my experience) was SO much easier then going from kibble to raw.  Our Jenkins is the only one that went directly from kibble to raw.
Be careful how much liver you feed.  Too much can cause vitamin A toxicity.

I feed our feline bunch ground raw.  A few of them had no interest in chunks.  Others would swallow pieces whole.  Even if there was interest, they ate canned and ground raw for so long... they would have to build up their jaw strength.  I'm lazy... I have no plans to pursue that battle.  Yeah, so I won't be winning raw feeing mom of the year award.  I can live with that.   Silly7
Just run it through the grinder? I have a trusted and well worn KitchenAid and a good knife. What kind of meat? Aunties refused chicken thighs but accept breast.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:09:31 PM by ThreeStep »

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
A lot of people recommend starting with a commercially balanced product.  I would recommend Rad Cat for this purpose.

I started with Stella&Chewy's freeze dried.  When I saw how much difference even that change made with Queen Eva, is when I started adding Rad Cat.

I was, before buying, already slipping tiny pieces of raw meat slivers to them as a treat. Jennie and Queen Eva needed no coaxing at al, for any of it.

Mazy cat took about 2 months to even try the Rad Cat, it was a long daily process with her.  I wil be happy to share it, if you want.  Not right at this minute though.  didn't want to read and run as the saying goes.
40$ 18 oz - ok - rib eye for SO is 12/pound. How far does it go? This is new for me so be patient please. Mostly chicken/pork here little beef. No meat tonight but I will do the slivers tomorrow.
Please share when you have time. Shadow Cat has us worried with her obsessive behavior as far as food is concerned, ChaCha is her three selves (I me and myself) and Izzi is at one year and most of it with wet an some kibbles (which she demands loudly and clearly) our most finicky eater.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 04:48:31 PM »
40$ 18 oz - ok - rib eye for SO is 12/pound. How far does it go? This is new for me so be patient please. Mostly chicken/pork here little beef. No meat tonight but I will do the slivers tomorrow.
Please share when you have time. Shadow Cat has us worried with her obsessive behavior as far as food is concerned, ChaCha is her three selves (I me and myself) and Izzi is at one year and most of it with wet an some kibbles (which she demands loudly and clearly) our most finicky eater.

Ask a bazillion questions!  We have all been there.

RadCat is a bit pricey, but they have done all the work for you.  :)  On AVERAGE an adult cat eats about 5 oz day.  I started with that figure, maybe a bit more.  I weighed everyone weekly, to make sure no one was losing or gaining loads of weight.  I adjusted as necessary. 

If you have freezer space... to take full advantage of shipping costs... take a look at www.Hare-Today.com.  I order a lot from them.  EDIT:  If you click on the link at the bottom of the forum, I get (I don't remember what  Silly7) from them.  They have grinds, chunks, etc. 

I also order from www.MyPetCarnivore.com.

Half the world says vitamins should be added, even if one is feeding 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% secreting organs (of which 5% should be liver).... and the other half says vitamins aren't necessary.  I add Alnutrin (www.knowwhatyoufeed.com)  to meats from Hare Today and the grocery store.  It is cheaper to order from them directly. 

I don't add anything to products from MyPetCarnivore. 

The meats that I grind myself, I add liver and the Alnutrin for meat with no bones.  They offer both kinds for meat with bones and meat without. 

I feed a different protein from a different source every day. 

Edit again:  If you have any interest in Hare-Today grinds, we will talk about what to do to make the grinds 80/10/5/5.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:56:46 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »
JUST throwing this out there.... Dr. Lisa Pierson DVM used nitrite-free bacon fat drippings for an enticement when needed. 

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »
We have some homework to do.
RadCat is not going to work at 15 ounces/day.
Liver is in the fridge.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
We have some homework to do.
RadCat is not going to work at 15 ounces/day.
Liver is in the fridge.

I buy it once or twice a year.  I order the 24 oz size from OnlyNaturalPet.com. (It is currently on back-order)  I order to fill the styrofoam chest they use for shipping.   I like to have as many different sources as possible in our rotation.  I feed it sparingly and consider it a treat.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »
The liver sliver experiment was a bust. ChaCha refused to eat at all. ShadowCat threw up twice. Izzi walked. :(((
Poached chicken tomorrow.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »
For my feline bunch in general, liver has to be ground into very tiny pieces.  It has to be mixed into their meals. 

TRY not to stress.  You will find what works for your bunch and you.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Izzi shared her breakfast:>( She sat in front of it, cocked her head and looked like a big question mark. Poor little thing! She ate about 30 minutes later and it stayed down. At least now I have four catted rugs on the patio to scrub and wash.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 05:58:17 PM »
It is kinda of odd for a young cat to be bringing up meals.  Did she have a kibble topper with her breakfast?  NOT judging!!  Just trying to figure out what the problem could be.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
It is kinda of odd for a young cat to be bringing up meals.  Did she have a kibble topper with her breakfast?  NOT judging!!  Just trying to figure out what the problem could be.
This is the first time aside from a few hair balls. She generally insists on a few Blue something kibbles and we have been decreasing them to 5-6 per portion.
All well this morning. The pride got me out of bed. ChaCha tried to physically dig me out, Izzi glared at me from my night stand, ShadowCat was in the starting blocks in the door while SO worked his part time job as logger. First breakfast went well. I crawled back in to wake up 45 minutes later with Izzi on my feet. Then she wanted a chin scratch. This is a treat for me! Second breakfast was mostly chopped cooked chicken topped with 1/2 teaspoon Izzi food and a normal helping for Izzi which is about 1/3 of a small can and she will not clean her plate most of the time. It feels like she is a bit less skinny. SO will bite the bullet and try to weigh her today.

Tags: