Author Topic: Gatlinburg is on fire. . .  (Read 4212 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Gatlinburg is on fire. . .
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »
"The Honeymoon Capitol," Gatlinburg, TN, is on fire. I was just watching the live video of someone in the Park Vista Hotel because they were trapped. Video of fire raging outside the windows. The video was taken down by FB (because of the graphic nature, I'm sure), but before they did, I've never seen anything so bad in my life. It was tangible, and I felt like I was about to burn too.

I've since been told that the whole town is on fire now, and Pigeon Forge is being evacuated now too. There were fires reported outside of Dollywood.

I know that everyone says that Disney is the happiest place on earth, but for me, the place we honeymooned and visited often was the happiest.  :'( :'( :'(
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Re: Gatlinburg is on fire. . .
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:27:26 PM »
My best friend lives in Knoxville and headed out this evening to volunteer with the evacuations... Praying for all involved.
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
Someone's Twitter posted in this article shows the Park Vista that I was watching video of where the people couldn't get out:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/us/southern-fires-gatlinburg-smokies/

And there are a lot of things in here about it not being covered nationally when it started happening--Ohio state made it kind of like the Nashville flood when death was ignored completely for the gulf oil spill and the times square bomber. National coverage of this fire has only begun in the past couple of hours.  :-X

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gatlinburg&src=tyah

Like usual, a day late and a dollar short when things happen in TN. Actually, it takes forever for anyone to pick up anything that is about anywhere in the south. It was only being covered by local and surrounding states while it happened.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:42:56 AM »
Hopefully the rain systems moving through today and tomorrow will help.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »
Hopefully the rain systems moving through today and tomorrow will help.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

That's what we're all hoping, except we hope that the storms coming through tonight don't have last night's winds. They said that the winds were 87 mph in the Smokeys last night. I know it was bad here too.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 06:02:24 PM »
I was reading about that yesterday.  Fire EVERYWHERE!  The last update stated that with the rain last night came more wind.  It is just awful! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:18 PM »
There are 3 deaths now, and still areas that no one can go check on b/c roads blocked with debris, etc. Some fires are still going, and a lot of firemen from other areas are there now to help. Several left from here to help.

I've seen some live videos from some TN stations, and it's just heartbreaking. Where we ate for our first honeymoon night? Gone. So many memories with the boys. Gone.

Gone, gone, gone.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »
A lot of them kept their lives but lost their homes and businesses. Admittedly, a lot of those food shops could be easily rebuilt, but a lot of them were specialty artwork stores that are going to be hard to rebuild. . .such enormous loss. http://www.artofthesouth.com/contact-us/contact-galleries

One of the galleries was Thomas Kinkade At The Village. I went in there and drooled every time we went to the mountains.

They've said that the aquarium animals are safe, but only God knows how many animals in the wild were lost. The aquarium situation last night makes you wonder exactly how wrong it might be to have these animals trapped in these buildings. At least the wild animals had a chance to run.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
This was found in the cleanup. Talk about eerie:

Joel 1:15
The day of the LORD is near, the day when destruction comes from the Almighty. How terrible that day will be!

Continued at:

http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/gatlinburg-fire-pictures-update-bible-verse-photos-tennessee-dollywood-facebook-isaac-mccord-arson-cause/

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »
This is the most recent news update I can find.  :(
The cause of the Chimney Tops fire remains under investigation, but the wildfire "appears to be human-caused," park Superintendent Cassius Cash said.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/tennessee/2016/11/30/gatlinburg-assesses-wildfire-damage/94665376/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
I really hope it was human error and not human intent.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »
I see Dolly Parton started a fund raiser. 

We want to provide a hand up to those families who have lost everything in the fires. To aid in their recovery effort, the Dollywood Foundation will provide $1,000 a month to all of those families who lost their homes in the fires for six months so that they can get back on their feet.”

http://dollywoodfoundation.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »
I see Dolly Parton started a fund raiser. 

http://dollywoodfoundation.org

Yes. She's going to help (every month) every family that has lost their home. She's done so much for this state that it would be impossible to pay her back. Her book-a-month for birth to 5 years has even now grown out of this state across the world. https://usa.imaginationlibrary.com/register_my_child.php#.WECdSrIrK00 She turned Silver Dollar City into a giant place (Dollywood) that gives jobs to SO many that live there.

Weird thing, Dollywood has a petsitting area for your pets. You just have to make reservations. We've used it and it's amazing: http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Guest-Services/Doggywood

As Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg have grown since she bought Silver Dollar City, the place has been turned into somewhere that's not like anywhere else. If someone tells you that it's like coming home, even when you didn't grow up there, believe them. There's just this feeling of happiness and peace that is hard to find. That's why we, and so many others, keep on going back again, and again, and again. That's where we were talking about going again this spring. Probably will anyway since KOA is okay.

Those in need after the Tennessee wildfires have a hometown source for at least some comfort.

Country music legend Dolly Parton announced late Wednesday her Dollywood Foundation will give $1,000 per month to families who lost their homes in the fire. The money would last for six months "so that they can get back on their feet," the Dollywood Foundation lists on its website.

Continued: http://www.newschannel5.com/news/national/dolly-parton-pledges-1k-per-month-for-tennessee-fire-victims
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:11:27 PM by DeeDee »

Tags: