Author Topic: Bizarre on the news  (Read 1093 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Bizarre on the news
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
For people living in a York County condominium complex, they'll soon have to get their dogs swabbed for DNA because of what officials are calling a growing problem.

Chestnut Pointe Condo Association Board members said they will soon implement a program using "Poo-Prints", after some people have not been able to clean up after their dogs.

I see the point though. Having to weave around poop piles gets irritating for those of us that DO clean up! But still, that's a bit weird for me. Kind of like criminals having to be DNA'd these days.

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Dog-owners-in-one-neighborhood-have-to-get-their/i_yuoKa6ykGtvQB4FrX80g.cspx
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Bizarre on the news
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
Hee hee hee.  I have a friend who is "one of those".  She won't pick up her dog's poop in public places, and she also lets her dog off leash and says "oh, she won't hurt you" as the dog is charging at someone on coming. 

One time we were hiking and she brought one of the dogs, and ugh, the dog was constantly chasing after people or running to the cliff, it drove me CRAZY and I told her I wouldn't hike with her dog any more.  We were sitting on a cliff watching the view and she wasn't watching the dog and the dog charged another hiker.  She did her smarmy "she won't hurt you" bit and the hiker said "sure she won't".  My friend said "I hate it when they say that" and I said well I hate it when "they" say what YOU said.  And that was when I told her, either the dog stays home or we don't hike.

But back on topic, the dog pooped THREE times on the trail and she refused to pick it up.  I was mortified and really angry at her. Another time we were walking in her own neighborhood park with both her dogs and they both pooped and she refused to pick it up. She and I have been friends for 40 years, but I am really appalled with her lack of social conscience when it comes to her dogs. The dogs no longer come with us on walks or hikes. I am sorry for them that they miss out, but I can't stand her irresponsibility.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
I got a nasty look from some woman that looked like she was in 20s (but I won't ever swear to someone's age w/o knowing them) when we were in Wichita. She was walking away from it VERY near us.

I handed her a bag & said, "Here, it looks like you've run out of bags. I don't want you to get in trouble for ignoring the park's rules."

She picked it up though. But if she had the power she obviously wanted, that look would have dropped the earth from under my feet, and I'd have disappeared with both of the dogs.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 01:49:24 AM »
okay... the DNA thing is over the top.  Wouldn't be a problem if people weren't so afraid of speaking up or "snitching".  Whichever gets the point across.

A couple weeks ago my friend asked if I could pop in to feed & walk the dog since they were planning a big night out.  No problem. 

On our walk, the dog stopped to take care of business which I promptly cleaned up with the baggies I had picked up from the little baggie dispenser.  It was getting a little dark, so it took me a minute to tie off the baggie and hook it to the carabiner that was attached to the leash. 

Suddenly I hear the neighbor say "What is she doing just standing in front of their house?"  Next thing I know, he's flashing a light at me... flashing, like a strobe.  I finished within a few more seconds, and moved on.

Now, I understand being watchful of your neighbor's house, I can really appreciate that... but let's use a little logic, shall we?  It was dog walking hour, there were others out walking their dogs as well.  I was with a rather large dog (german shepard/chow), and I was facing outward, away from the house. 

Why in the world did this guy think it was a good idea to flash a strobe at a dog and its handler, not knowing the dogs temperament?  Why would he think it's a good idea to chase off a dog and its handler when they were doing nothing more than picking up poop? 

It kinda made me mad.

So, after giving the dog some fresh water at home, I went back to talk to the guy.

It did not go well.

The guy did not want to admit that he had deliberately tried to chase me off with a strobe light, especially after I told him I was doing nothing more than picking up poop.  He didn't want to look like the paranoid idiot that he was, I guess.  And I'm not the kind of gal to let idiots off the hook.  I ended up telling him that if he kept chasing off the dogwalkers when they were being responsible, they might be less inclined to be responsible in the future...
which could lead to some unpleasant surprises in his own yard.   poop1
Karma's kinda funny that way. 
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
There are also the dog walkers, that carry the little poop bags, and PRETEND they are going to pick up after their dog... but move on, as soon as they think no one is watching. 

In my much younger days, I "returned" poop to a neighbor... right to his front door step!     

I don't walk my dogs, in my neighborhood for many reasons, but one of them is due to the off-leash dogs.  Off leash dogs, that the owners have NO CONTROL over. 

While I'm ranting... I had 3 ticked off cats at the vet's once once.  They were in their carriers, close to my feet.  I sat down away from a mother and her toddler.  The mother allowed her child to roam around the waiting room.  I had to continually move the cat carriers around, to keep the child from putting her fingers into the carriers!  Nothing like having to babysit someone else's kid. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: