Author Topic: Don't Let Your Vet Tell You This Is Normal Cat Behavior - It's Not  (Read 1566 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
One of the most common feline health issues is a tendency to vomit. Many kitties throw up on a more-or-less routine basis. It happens so frequently, in fact, that their humans and even some veterinarians assume chronic vomiting is completely normal for cats.

Typical excuses vets and cat guardians offer for regular episodes of vomiting include: "He eats too fast," "She has a sensitive stomach" or "Maybe it's just hairballs." I've even had clients say, "Oh he's just a puker. He barfs a lot and it's not a big deal."

Unless you're a vulture, vomiting a lot is not normal. My position has always been that chronic vomiting, even in kitties with hairballs, is not standard behavior and should be thoroughly investigated. It's important to remember that big cats in the wild don't routinely vomit.

Wild cats also don't have hairball issues, which is why I believe recurrent hairballs in housecats is also a sign that something is wrong. There's no need to panic, of course, but I would definitely recommend investigating what's going on with a kitty who is regularly coughing up hairballs.

Common causes of persistent vomiting in cats include a poor diet, food intolerances, eating too fast and too much time in between meals.

Other causes include enzyme deficiencies, gastrointestinal (GI) problems that manifest as hairballs, toxin ingestion and underlying medical conditions like kidney disease and GI cancer.

Continued at: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/04/09/why-cats-vomit.aspx
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The Most Common Reasons Cats Throw Up…
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
Here's another video from her that continues the discussion of cats vomiting. . .

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/11/09/vomitting-pet-cat-health.aspx
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: Cats barf vomit not normal