Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40623 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2018, 02:41:11 PM »
Thanks Pookie!

Statue Cat!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2018, 06:55:20 PM »
Jennie had her kidney values check this evening. All normal yay!  So relieved so we can carry on with the piroxicam and vet said to go ahead and start the fluids, 75 ml twice a week, just to support the kidneys and help keep them flushed out.

Vet was very happy with Jennie's overall condition. No weight loss, well hydrated, lovely coat, bright eyes, heart and lungs normal... (actually she seemed a bit surprised, but I could be reading her wrong, I don't know her very well yet. Maybe she just expected Jennie to be sicker.)

Vet also said this is her first experience treating a cat with piroxicam, so she is very interested in tracking how Jennie does on it.  Of course she would be anyway I understand that, but this is a strong and potentially risky drug to use on a cat.

I told her that normally I would not allow this class of drug to be used in one of my own cats, but this is a Last Resort situation, so we have nothing to lose.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2018, 09:11:47 PM »
 love1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2018, 10:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the update!  I'm glad Jennie's doing so well.   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »
Paws and fingers are crossed.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2018, 07:59:17 PM »
Any Jennie stories you would like to share?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2018, 08:39:46 AM »
Jennie's doing okay. Sometimes I think she is having pain, but of course it's hard to tell.  I'm trying to keep track now, to see if her pain level seems to go up near the end of her piroxicam cycle, or if the symptoms are happening all the time. I don't know what, if anything, can be added to help.

What makes me notice is that sometimes she shifts position a lot, or while resting/sleeping she will suddenly jerk a bit. But it doens't happen all the time.

Her appetite is normal and she still has her little Game every morning and evening. Two days ago I thought I was seeing some improvement in the quality of her poops, but then last night and this morning changed that theory.

The CBD to help with pain suggestion keeps rearing it's head, but I am reluctant still to try it for her. It's a very large expense for something I don't know if it will even help. Not to mention it will mean more pilling.  I've already "wasted" a good amount of money on suggestions from the same source, before she had her diagnosis.

On the other hand I can't stand to think of her in pain.

Thanks for asking.  HeadButt

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
CBD - check with local vap shops. The homeo store our vet sent me to sold it in minimum increments of 500 ml. I had not planned to drown ShadowCat! Vap shops have samplers.
Izzi is just stopping by for a chin scratch.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2018, 10:36:51 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
CBD - check with local vap shops. The homeo store our vet sent me to sold it in minimum increments of 500 ml. I had not planned to drown ShadowCat! Vap shops have samplers.
Izzi is just stopping by for a chin scratch.

So are you using it for Shadow?

I have ordered the Charlotte's Web most often recommended on the IBD group. And I paid for 2 day shipping once I found it was going to take almost 3 weeks to get here otherwise. I can't stand thinking of Jennie in pain, and she is off her appetite today.  I'm not sure I trust my judgement on her comfort level any more.  After all before putting her on the gabapentin I didn't even know she was in pain. It wasn't until I saw the difference after giving it to her that I realized. As closely as I watch them, I didn't even KNOW.

I may have to give up eating for a few weeks to pay for it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2018, 08:19:51 PM »
I am SURE you are taking care of Jennie VERY well!  If you related to your cats any better, you would the a physic!
Is the CBD legal in all states?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
I am SURE you are taking care of Jennie VERY well! 

Agreed.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

If you related to your cats any better, you would be physic!

I thought she was!   :)

Sending hugs . . .  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2018, 07:06:53 AM »
I am SURE you are taking care of Jennie VERY well!  If you related to your cats any better, you would the a physic!
Is the CBD legal in all states?

Thank you both.  The Charlotte's Web CBD oil is made from hemp, not marijuana. I don't know what regulations other states have about it but it is sold here locally so I didn't think I would have any problem ordering it and I didn't.  I could have gone to see what the local "health food" store had in stock (they carry Charlotte's Web) but I don't trust that store. Probably a major mark up besides. Since I'm using it for Jennie I prefer to get it straight from the source.

We have vape stores too but I won't go in them.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »

Actually I am a "bit psychic" as the saying goes lol.

Agreed.   DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

I thought she was!   :)

Sending hugs . . .  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

It's not that I doubt my care.  I know I take good care of them.  It's just the horror of finding out a cat under your care was suffering and you didn't even know it.  that's happened once before too, with Tolly and the first time he had FORL. He WAS showing signs of pain but and I saw them but didn't attribute them to pain symptoms.

It makes you question your judgment over all if you can miss something like that. And it's leaves a terrible lingering feeling of horror. Hard to let go of.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »
Post # 3 for this morning haha

Jennie really struggled to eat yesterday.  I also noticed her frequent pooping had changed.  She didn't poop all day.  I did wonder if the two were related but I also think she is having pain. I managed to get about half her usual food into her yesterday, all by hand feeding.  She would lick it off my fingers.

Earlier in the week when she was having those formed firmer stools I was thinking that was a good thing, but now I wonder.

This morning, in the early hours, her normal time to have her largest poop she did have one, and again it is different.  One long piece, very firm, and then a smaller piece dry and crumbly. I don't know what that means I just want to get it on record so I don't forget.  f anyone has an ideas I am glad to hear them.

I had to hand feed her her meal after her 6 a.m. gabapentin, but she did eat 0.5 ounce. 

I went back to bed and at some point she left the bed again and had some more poop, little bits, in two boxes, and while they LOOK like they are mushy, they are actually dry and crumbly feeling.

But then asked for and ate her first breakfast serving at her usual meal spot, on her own, with great appetite..  She lingered asking for more but by the time I was ready to give it to her she didn't want it any more and had gone to the bed on the couch.  I'm just about to try again.

Success! In the pictures, 1st pic is when I put the food down for her. Second is: I kept trying to get a shot of her licking her chops but I kept missing it. That's why she looks so annoyed in the 2nd picture and why I finally went to video when she kept licking the empty dish.

Tags: