Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40631 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:59 PM »
 fingerscrossed that the miralax does the trick without overdoing it.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2019, 05:17:12 AM »
I'm really unhappy about using the miralax. It's so harsh. I gave her a dose last night and I've just given  her another this morning.  She's gone from 5 times a day, to 3 to now just these hard crumbly bits...and it all happened so fast.

I just can't stand for her to be uncomfortable, you know?

I have e mailed vet to ask about the powdered lactulose.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »
I'm really unhappy about using the miralax. It's so harsh. I gave her a dose last night and I've just given  her another this morning.  She's gone from 5 times a day, to 3 to now just these hard crumbly bits...and it all happened so fast.

I just can't stand for her to be uncomfortable, you know?

I have e mailed vet to ask about the powdered lactulose.

Don't give her so much maybe.  ??
We give one cat an 1/8tsp once a day. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2019, 01:22:11 PM »
Don't give her so much maybe.  ??
We give one cat an 1/8tsp once a day. 

Thanks Lola, I thought there was someone here who uses miralax so I am glad to hear your input.

I am only just starting it, so "so much" isn't an issue, I don't even know how she will react to it or what dose will work for her.  Recommended dose from the vet is 1/4 tsp twice a day.  Remember that Jennie needs this because of a tumor or tumors growing in her colon, not your run of the mill constipation issue..

My concern is her comfort.  Will it cause a lot of cramping?  Nausea?  I don't know.

She's gone off her food a little bit, not eating as much and that started before I started the miralx, I figured it was because she isn't passing the stool.

I came home to a nomral sized stool in the box, one end was hard and crumbly like the little bit she had yesterday, and the other end was soft and squishy. So the two doses of mirlax have helped her, but she looks uncomfortable, and did not finish her lunch.

I'm going to up her Cerenia to the prescribed dose starting tonight.

I struggle with not allowing msyelf to look too far ahead. Just take it one meal at a time.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
I don't know how to get through this.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug

I wish I had some advice or . . . some way of helping.  Sending lots of hugs, purrs and good vibes to you and Jennie Jennie.

grouphug  Hug1 CatPurr GoodVibes GoodVibes  Hug1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2019, 05:00:46 AM »
Jennie has swollen feet. Her left paw is huge and her right is almost as big.  What the heck has caused this? The miralax?  She shows no signs of discomfort in her feet and has been jumping up and down from the washer multiple times. She is very hungry this morning (yesterday didn't want to eat much) Is it a reaction to the miralax?  I can't find anything on line.

Is it caused by straining? She did have more poop this morning but I know there is a lot more to be moved out.  I don't know.  I've got to get her in to see the vet this morning though I did feed her.

I've just measured them, because I am worried they are stil growing.  The left is 2 inches wide and the right is about 1 1/2

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #277 on: January 17, 2019, 08:02:27 AM »
Jennie has swollen feet. Her left paw is huge and her right is almost as big.  What the heck has caused this? The miralax?  She shows no signs of discomfort in her feet and has been jumping up and down from the washer multiple times. She is very hungry this morning (yesterday didn't want to eat much) Is it a reaction to the miralax?  I can't find anything on line.

Is it caused by straining? She did have more poop this morning but I know there is a lot more to be moved out.  I don't know.  I've got to get her in to see the vet this morning though I did feed her.

I've just measured them, because I am worried they are stil growing.  The left is 2 inches wide and the right is about 1 1/2

Okay we're on our way to the vet in a few minutes.  I went into work a little early since there wasn't any more I could do here and called from there (I had called the answering service to ask them to let the vet know I would be calling) Finally got through to the vet (they didn't take the service off until 8:15!)

Jennie's paws are still giant sized, but haven't gotten any bigger, and in fact might be a fraction of an inch smaller, the 2 inches one does measure just a line under 2 inches now.

I used the ladies room at work and could see in the mirror that I was actually visibly shaking.  My face/head even was trembling. I am so scared for her. Even though she shows no signs of discomfort at all!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #278 on: January 17, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
 :(  grouphug

I have no idea if it's related to the Miralax, but it's sounds like she's retaining water and it's accumulating in her paws.  Crossing paws that the vet gives you some answers.   fingerscrossed

EDIT:  I did a search for "can Miralax cause edema" (edema is swelling) and found this (for humans):

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-17116/miralax-oral/details/list-sideeffects  -- Look under "Rare side effects"

RARE side effects
If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression

Abnormal Heart Rhythm
Atrial Fibrillation
Fast Heartbeat
Feeling Faint
Fluid Retention In The Legs, Feet, Arms Or Hands
High Blood Pressure
Imbalance In Body Salts Like Potassium And Sodium
Insufficient Blood Supply To The Colon
Involuntary Quivering
Kidney Disease With Reduction In Kidney Function
Life Threatening Allergic Reaction
Puffy Face From Water Retention
Rash
Seizures
Trouble Breathing
Ulceration Of Colon

Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 grouphug
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:29:45 PM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #279 on: January 17, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »
Holy cow Pookie thank you for this!  I am sending it right to the vet.

I am home for lunch right now and her paws have gone down a bit.  The biggest one is now 1 1/2 inches and the other is 1 1/4 inches.

I'll have to update on what the vet said later but the general coneseus was the lymphatic system is affected.

However I had my doubts given the timing after just starting the miralax..

PS I'm glad you posted the pertinent part.  The link won't load for me.

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #280 on: January 17, 2019, 03:26:09 PM »
How are things now MC ? Willing you the strength to cope and sending much love. xx

HeadButt  HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
Thank you so much WG.  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1!  Her paws have gone down a tiny bit more. The left one is now 1 1/4 inch, the right is just over 1 inch.

Pookie the website opens for me now.

The vet will write a prescription for the kristalose (powder lactulose). However if Jennie needs help again, until I get the powder, I will use mineral oil.

Jennie and I were at the vet almost 2 hours.  they took blood, did x rays, took blood pressure, very thorough, and vet consulted with two other vets in the practice. The general opinion was either infection of the lymphatic system (high WBC still) or the cancer has metastasized into the lymphatic system (which will likely happen eventually). If it was metastasized, the paws would not being foing down, they would just keep growing, so I think we can rule that out for now.  I'm going to go ahead with the antibiotics because of the high WBC.

Vet wants her to take Orbax antibiotic for one week, then retest WBC.

I'm exhausted.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #282 on: January 17, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »
GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes grouphug  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #283 on: January 18, 2019, 04:48:36 AM »
Jennie's paws are still puffy.  The right one is back up to 1 1/2 inches, the left one (which was the biggest at 2 inches yesterday) is just over one inch.  Her back paws are also now affected. (I didn't measure them but they are puffy) and last night she had a bump under her right eye but that is gone this morning.

She is normal in every other respect. I might give her fluids tonight to help flush out her system, just in case it IS the miralax just taking a long time to leave her system.  If it's infection, the antibiotics may help.  If it's lymphatic metastasis, then this is the beginning of the end.

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #284 on: January 18, 2019, 05:44:18 AM »
 HangInThere 

Hug1  Hug1  Hug1

Tags: