Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40655 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2018, 01:00:32 PM »
I would check with vet before changing her diet again.

funny2 funny2 funny2

Sorry, I know you were probably serious.  But the vets, at least the vets I have access to, are the last place I would turn to for diet advice. They push garbage diets.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2018, 01:53:05 PM »
After she had Campylobacter (sp?) and no one else was sick or got sick... didn't you (or vet..can't remember who now) decide it was from raw foods, due to her immune system being out of whack?

Edit for clarification.

After she was diagnosed with campylobacter and no one else got campylobacter... didn't you (or vet... can't remember who now) decide the campylobacter was from raw foods? 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:02:17 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2018, 03:30:08 PM »
I am pretty sure the campylobacter was from the chicken wings, the only thing Jennie ate exclusively.  But yes, I did wonder if it was the cancer, affecting her immune system,  that made her susceptible to the infection.

The cancer was not caused by the campylobacter infection.  It's likely that's been lurking for a long time.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2018, 03:58:39 PM »
I am pretty sure the campylobacter was from the chicken wings, the only thing Jennie ate exclusively.  But yes, I did wonder if it was the cancer, affecting her immune system,  that made her susceptible to the infection.

The cancer was not caused by the campylobacter infection.  It's likely that's been lurking for a long time.

I was just thinking that having her eat raw MIGHT be opening a can of worms. 
I wan't thinking that the campylobacter infection caused the cancer.  Sorry, if that is the impression I gave you.  I edited my other post for clarification.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:03:01 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »
No that wasn't it.  Hug1 

I was just feeling snarky because everyone is criticizing me and no one mentioned the actual GOOD news which is that Jennie is feeling better on the piroxicam. And she even had a large poop! Why isn't THAT important? geez!  Silly7

I'd like to focus a bit on the positive things you know?  It's a good thing that she feels better.  So what in the long run she won't be here, isn't it important for NOW that she feel better and actually have something she likes?

It's maybe a valid point you are making about the raw I don't know. I've read many things that state even immunocompromised  cats (such as FIV+, cats on pred and, yes, cancer cats) can still eat a raw diet. I know a number of those types in the IBD group who are still fed a raw diet.

I can avoid poultry, especially chicken, and just give her some little slivers of beef or pork. Just something to make her life a little pleasanter. If I decide to do it.

Well she's already getting some raw, the Fresh Is Best freeze dried beef complete meal as a topper when she is tired of the canned and won't eat it any more and the Fresh is Best beef hearts also.

Anyway, there now I've had my rant.  I feel better.   funny2  grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2018, 06:55:53 PM »
No that wasn't it.  Hug1 

I was just feeling snarky because everyone is criticizing me and no one mentioned the actual GOOD news which is that Jennie is feeling better on the piroxicam. And she even had a large poop! Why isn't THAT important? geez!  Silly7

I'd like to focus a bit on the positive things you know?  It's a good thing that she feels better.  So what in the long run she won't be here, isn't it important for NOW that she feel better and actually have something she likes?

It's maybe a valid point you are making about the raw I don't know. I've read many things that state even immunocompromised  cats (such as FIV+, cats on pred and, yes, cancer cats) can still eat a raw diet. I know a number of those types in the IBD group who are still fed a raw diet.

I can avoid poultry, especially chicken, and just give her some little slivers of beef or pork. Just something to make her life a little pleasanter. If I decide to do it.

Well she's already getting some raw, the Fresh Is Best freeze dried beef complete meal as a topper when she is tired of the canned and won't eat it any more and the Fresh is Best beef hearts also.

Anyway, there now I've had my rant.  I feel better.   funny2  grouphug

Was just trying to help you not make a possible mistake... with her doing so well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:57:48 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 07:10:49 PM »
Yeah I get that. And appreciate it. Though I'm not convinced it would be. But what I don't understand is why  ...why isn't anyone glad she feels better? I don't have any false hopes if that's what you're worried about.  I know she's got a fatal disease.  But why can't we celebrate the good things for now?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2018, 08:56:10 PM »
Jennie is HERSELF again.  She had her second piroxicam tonight.  Pray her kidneys can handle it! She's trotting around with her tail up! She's purring audibly! She's kneading all over the place! She's singing, and talking and showing interest. Now I know why vets like this class of drug so much, it's very dramatic. Sadly it really isn't all that safe for cats. But let's hope Jennie is one of the lucky ones. It makes me so happy to see her feeling better.

I just can't stand it when they don't feel well.  I just can't stand it to think of any of them suffering. I just can't stand it.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:08 PM »
Yeah I get that. And appreciate it. Though I'm not convinced it would be. But what I don't understand is why  ...why isn't anyone glad she feels better? I don't have any false hopes if that's what you're worried about.  I know she's got a fatal disease.  But why can't we celebrate the good things for now?

I think I can safely say on behalf of all of us that we are glad she's feeling better.  That IS wonderful news.  Please pardon us for not expressing it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:57:38 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2018, 04:33:54 AM »
I know. Thank you Pookie.  Hug1 Hug1

It's just...seeing her lose everything that was uniquely her, all the habits and quirks that are Jennie-Jennie..I was missing her so much. Seeing it all come back, for however long, is like a miracle.  I've been trying so hard to accept the changes and tell myself she's still Jennie, even so.  But it hurts so much to feel like she isn't getting any enjoyment, or at least, not as much.  Seeing her once again blossom into herself..I can't express how glad I am. For however long.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »
Jennie played tonight! She's talking singing, making air biscuits! I posted in the IBD group asking if anyone had any suggestions about ways I can support her kidneys, to maybe lessen the impact of the piroxicam.  It was suggested to me that I put her on sub q fluids a couple times a week.  I think that's a great idea and I hope the vet isn't going to give me a hard time about it.

I don't know much about how meds are processed.  She gets the capsule once every 48 hours.  So....would it be better to give the fluids on the opposite day maybe?  Or just pick two days a week, say Wednesday and Sunday.

Any thoughts?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
I'm not familiar with that class of drugs, so I don't know how long they stay in the body.  It's a bit late so I'll try to Google it tomorrow, unless someone else has time to do that.  Question:  is the dosing (1 capsule every 48 hours) what the vet advised, or is that your dosing?  I know sometimes you like to start out with the lowest dose and go from there, that's why I ask.

Anyway, getting back to your question:  After some thinking . . . just to keep it simple, it might be better to just pick 2 days a week and see how that goes.  Though if you give the medication in the morning, for example, you might want to wait until the evening to give the fluids, just so her system has time to metabolize the medication.

Oh, and if your vet gives you a hard time about the fluids, kick him/her in the shins for me.  There's no reason they should have any objection to that.  I doubt giving her fluids would be a bad thing -- she'd pee out what she doesn't need, wouldn't she?

Jennie played tonight! She's talking singing, making air biscuits!

multistars multistars multistars multistars multistars

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:50 AM »
Thanks Pookie.  The medication is as prescribed.  Piroxicam is an NSAID, not approved for use in cats in the US.  None are because of the kidney issues. But as a last resort situation, I am willing to use it for Jennie because there is no doubt it has improved her quality of life. She is herself again.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2018, 07:09:44 AM »
Prescribed medication but not approved for cats - how does that work?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »
Prescribed medication but not approved for cats - how does that work?

It's prescribed for humans but not for cats.  NSAIDS are your pain reliever/anti-inflammatories like aspirin and ibuprofen.  Both are no-no's for cats, but are safe for humans.

Tags: