Author Topic: I can't bear to shave her! There's got to be another way.  (Read 10013 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
I can't bear to shave her! There's got to be another way.
« on: April 26, 2016, 07:49:49 PM »
Too much fur, too much fur! I am out of my mind, I don't know what to do for her. Mazy cat is puking every other day, sometimes every day. If she could just bring up the fur when her tummy is empty that would be okay, but she can't. She regurgitates her meals, and it's just full of fur. I am at my wit's end, to get enough food into her every day, to prevent weight loss, because she can only eat so much at a time.

And on a more selfish note, it is..agonizing... to see all my hard work and expense go down the drain. Some of you know that Mazy cat has to eat certified organic non GMO project verified meat only. It costs a small fortune and the work involved, well you all know how much work it can be. I have very little freezer space, and with everyone eating all raw now, I cut am cutting and freezing meat and Rad Cat two or three times a week now. It's exhausting.

But that's just my little selfish feel sorry for myself moan. The real issue is Mazy cat. I just don't know what else to do for her.

There is no pattern, regarding proteins. No pattern regarding which meal comes up.  The only pattern is, the mats of fur in the meals that come up.

She is getting Vet's-Best, half tablet twice a day. I hate to increase it. Should I? It already makes her stools so large.

She is getting two full capsules of egg yolk lecithin a day, one in the morning, one in the evening.

Egg yolk twice a week.

At least an 8 hour fast each night to aid in stomach emptying, I try for 10 hours on weekends, because that does seem more effective for her. If I could do 10 hours every night, I would, but there just aren't enough hours in the day to do that, and get enough food into her.

Come to think of it, because of trying to make up the lost meals, not to mention working late every night (two more weeks of that) she is only getting about a 7 hour fast overnight. Is THAT the problem? There isn't any way to increase it right now, without reducing the amount she eats every day. As it is, I've kept her from losing weight so far, but I don't know how much longer I can go on this way. Will it ever stop? Is there anything else I can do for her, to increase her motility, or help her get that fur passing the other way?

The raw feeding for feline IBD group's response to the above moaning post is to shave her.  I can't do it.  I don't want to do it!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: I can't bear to shave her! There's got to be another way.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
If she's losing that much fur, I don't see that anything will help except for you to brush every day or night. Shaving them just shortens the coat, it really doesn't make it stop coming out. Of course, shorter would probably mean less in her stomach--unless she just keeps on licking until her stomach is full.

Is there any kind of furminator shampoo/conditioner for cats like there is for dogs? I use a de-shedding product on Barkly, and it really does help with the household furbunnies.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:46:51 PM »
grouphug grouphug grouphug

First, you are not "moaning."  It's a lot of work and very stressful, esp. when it's just you having to do it all.

Come to think of it, because of trying to make up the lost meals, not to mention working late every night (two more weeks of that) she is only getting about a 7 hour fast overnight. Is THAT the problem? There isn't any way to increase it right now, without reducing the amount she eats every day. As it is, I've kept her from losing weight so far, but I don't know how much longer I can go on this way. Will it ever stop? Is there anything else I can do for her, to increase her motility, or help her get that fur passing the other way?

I don't think, given how large her stools are, that giving her more VB would be a good idea.  I just have a hunch that in the long run, that may cause other issues for her.  You know her better than I do, of course, but the fact that you have concerns tells me you should listen to your gut on that.  The 7 hour fast may be at least part if not all of the issue.  The only way to know for sure is to increase the length of the fast again, when you can.  Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind as far as what else can be done is to try Dr. Plechner's protocol.  But I'll think on it and see if maybe I get other ideas.  Meanwhile:  grouphug grouphug grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:06:29 AM »
Thanks you guys.  Dee, she doesn't allow grooming and I have never been really convinced it helps all that much any way.  It just loosens more fur. Tolly loved to be groomed and I would comb a kitten off him every day, but he still struggled with ingested fur issues.

And bathing is out of the question haha!

To be shaved she would have to be anesthetized. I am stil being told in the IBD group that that is my best option. 

The cortisol issue involves putting her through more tests. If it were any other cat, I would have done it already. The vet trips are just too traumatic to put her through it all.  Lame excuse I suppose, but I just can't cope with the trauma of it.

Maybe things wouldn't seem to ....overwhelming and horrible... if I wasn't so sleep deprived.

I think I am going to use the coconut oil. I know it's use in cats is controversial. But I'm going to try it. It's better than vaseline, which is another thing that is being suggested in the IBD group.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:29:28 PM »
So I went back to my books last night and have some questions and ideas:

1.  Does Mazy allow you to touch her front paws?  If so, I can tell you the areas that map to her GI system -- perhaps some Reflexology might help.  There are areas on the ear and face that also map, but I don't know if she would tolerate it.

2.  Perhaps abdominal massage, again, if she would allow it, would help move things along.  One of the schools I had looked into for a small animal massage program had a DVD which I just received.  I haven't watched it yet, but hope to do so in the next few days.  If Mazy would tolerate it, maybe there's something on the DVD that would tell me where a massage would help her.

3.  The focus to this point has been on motility and breaking up the fur (using lecithin).  The gallbladder stores bile and releases it during the digestive process to break down fats.  So I wonder if perhaps her gallbladder isn't producing enough bile.  I also wonder if she's not producing enough mucous to help the fur "slide" along.  I know you add the slippery elm to help with that.  You can also give her aloe vera juice -- a holistic vet I went to had me give it to Pookie's sister for a time, but I don't remember the dose.  You can give them the juice (not the leaves) and it's very soothing to the GI tract.

4.  Is there something going on that could be stressing her?  That might be contributing to the issue.

Other thoughts:  you could add colostrum to her food to help her nutritionally.  I don't expect it to stop the hairballs, but since she's bringing them up with food, adding the colostrum would be like adding a "multivitamin" and help boost her immune system.  I like this company:  http://www.wholisticpetorganics.com/wholistic-feline-colostrumtm.html

Along similar lines, adding bee pollen would also be a nutritional boost.  The company that sells the colostrum also sells bee pollen (it's for dogs, but I'm sure you can also give it to cats, just perhaps in a smaller amount):  http://www.wholisticpetorganics.com/wholistic-bee-powertm.html

I mention these because I'm a bit concerned that her nutritional needs are higher than normal, even with an all-raw diet, and adding nutrients might help her body heal itself.  But I'm just tossing these out there for your consideration.  You have to go with what you think is best.

I want to research more, but some other things I found:  glucosamine plays a role in the secretion of mucous in the digestive tract and other body functions.  MSM promotes gastrointestinal health, sea mussel aids in the functioning of mucous membranes, reduces inflammation and promotes wound healing, shark cartilage can be used to reduce inflammation in the bowel lining (which probably doesn't help with the hairball issue, but might help in other ways).  Glutamine "provides fuel for your gastrointestinal tract, particularly in the cells in the linings of your small intestines. According to biologist George Mateljan, author of "World's Healthiest Foods," glutamine also provides the main structures for these cells to help them resist against disease-causing microorganisms and minimize the absorption of allergenic molecules."  [http://www.livestrong.com/article/287131-glutamine-vs-glucosamine/]  But like I said, I want to look into these more to see if they can be given to cats.  I'm sure glucosamine is safe (it's used with chondroitin for joint health), and probably MSM, but I'm not sure about the others.

Meanwhile, try to get some sleep!

GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:44:59 PM by Pookie »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 04:55:11 PM »
I'll reply in more detail after I've had time to absorb your very generous post. THANK YOU.

Mazy cat takes cosequin daily which gives her the glucosamine and MSN.

She gets green lipped mussel in the EZcomplete.

She gets digestive enzymes in the EZcomplete and she was getting a small amount at breakfast, but it seems to bother her, causing loose stools if I give her more than that.

I've read some about Glutamine in the IBD group.  Hmmm.

Nope, can't touch her paws or her tummy.

Stress, well probably.  I am working late every night and will be for 2 more weeks. Hard to know how much that affects her.

This time last year it wasn't quite as bad as it is this year. IBD group still maintains I should shave, if not her whole body, at least her tum.  I don't want to do it.  I don't want to put her through it, and I don't want her to have to wear a shaved stomach.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 05:55:01 PM »
Here's an idea:  how about putting a t-shirt on her?  That way she can't lick so much fur.  IF (big if) she would tolerate that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:07:08 PM by Pookie »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:43:53 AM »
I would hesitate shaving my cat as well... even if the cat was 100% willing.  They have a coat for a reason.  Plus, I think it truly bothers some mentally.  (A story for another time.)  The t-shirt idea sounds like it could work!  A baby t-shirt. 
The following info won't help you, but...  last week a few of mine that rarely bring back up anything (I could almost say never) brought up hair balls last week.  I smashed up one VB and sprinkled it on top of their food. One VB divided by 6.  Two totally refused to touch their food.  It is the first time I used the "new" VB that is smaller now.  I remember another forum member having issues with the new version of VB.  It kind of makes me wonder if they changed something more than the size.
I do think our routine affects our furkids.  At least some of them.  I've been working some crazy hours and a lot of them... some of mine tend to be cranky when my routine changes. 
Anyway... my point, you will figure out something that will work for Mazy.  It may not be the perfect solution (if there is one), but it will be the best YOU can do.   HeadButt
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
I do think our routine affects our furkids.  At least some of them.  I've been working some crazy hours and a lot of them... some of mine tend to be cranky when my routine changes. 

I know it definitely affected Pookie.  He was NOT a happy kitty when I got home late (and sometimes when I slept in), and he had a tendency to hork his dinner when I fed him.  Even leaving something for him in the timer feeder when I knew I might be home late didn't always work.  He was upset that Mommy was late, and I think it affected his tummy.   :(

Anyway... my point, you will figure out something that will work for Mazy.  It may not be the perfect solution (if there is one), but it will be the best YOU can do.   HeadButt

Well said.   thumbsup1  We do the best we can . . . grouphug

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 08:54:57 AM »
Thank you guys.  No I won't put a shirt on her. I'd probably lose my hand, and I'd worry she would hurt herself in it.  She doesn't need any more stress, and making her wear a shirt would certainly cause her stress.

I am using a couple drops of rescue remedy at night for the duration of the late working days. I have also eliminated her PMR and EZ complete muscle meat meals, feeding only Rad Cat Chicken and Rad Cat turkey until the overtime working is ended.  One more week of it.. She's managed to go three days now without hurling her meal.

I do think the lessening of her overnight fasting period has had a very large impact.

Just to clarify she has not lost weight or condition so far in this cycle.  I checked last year's records and she did have more trouble than usual this time last year, though not quite as severe as this..

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
PS I am planning to look more into your suggestions about the CoQ10 and colostrum Pookie.  But as you know any change for Mazy cat has to be done very slowly and carefully, and I have to be absolutely sure of the product I am using. But I'm going to read you links this weekend after I get some rest.  So far I've done nothing but run this weekend, and now I am going to lie down.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »
I've been looking for a non GMO colostrum product.  Found only one so far...

http://www.bio-alternatives.net/colostrum.htm

They have CoQ10 too, but I can't find where Pookie recommend this to me for Mazy cat in this thread.  Was that another thread?  How did you think it would benefit her?  Poor Mazy cat doesn't get a single meal that doesn't contain one sort of supplement or other. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »
They have CoQ10 too, but I can't find where Pookie recommend this to me for Mazy cat in this thread.  Was that another thread?  How did you think it would benefit her?  Poor Mazy cat doesn't get a single meal that doesn't contain one sort of supplement or other. 

The CoQ10 wasn't for Mazy.  I'll send you a pawmail.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »
I don't dare to update, don't want to jinx her!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »
I am using a couple drops of rescue remedy at night for the duration of the late working days.

I think you're on to something, that the stress due to a change in routine (e.g. the late hours) is major factor.  In addition to the Rescue Remedy, you might also want to talk to her (if you haven't already) and explain that you're working late but it's only for a short time, etc.

I just read something that mentioned just recognizing the connection (the pet is stressed because the pet parent is) makes a huge difference.  You're under a lot of stress, and she's likely feeling that and reacting to it.  Explaining to her what's going on might help, and definitely the Rescue Remedy.

I don't dare to update, don't want to jinx her!

fingerscrossed GoodVibes

Tags: