Author Topic: CRF Supplement??  (Read 4596 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
CRF Supplement??
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:25:27 AM »
Anyone ever heard of this?  Its for cats with CRF, or preventing CRF
your thoughts?
http://www.renavast.com/about-renavast
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: CRF Supplement??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
NOT being a jerk. The first thing that caught my attention, was the product being put on dry kibble.  There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but... that is where I would stop reading.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:38:28 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:02 PM »
Yes I know that is one of the first things I read.  They have a facebook page, wonder if I should put those concerns on there? hmmmm!!!! bangshead  Though if you read on they do say that cats are obligate carnivores, and they still need the protein even with CRF.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »
What do I think of RenAvast? My hunch is that RenAvast contains widely available and inexpensive unpatented amino acids packaged together and subjected to some clever marketing. If it only contains amino acids and peptides, it is probably not going to do any harm, but without knowing exactly what it contains, I cannot say for sure. It might be a good product, it might not, but it is unlikely to be as effective as its manufacturers claim, and it is certainly not cheap at over US$30 a month.

Based on the information currently available, I would save my money  and put it towards more proven treatments than RenAvast.
http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#renavast

I'd say feeding either a good wet food or raw (either premade or home-prepared) would be the best way to try prevent a cat from getting CRF thumbsup1 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »
Though if you read on they do say that cats are obligate carnivores, and they still need the protein even with CRF.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.  ;)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
From a friend who has done the research on this stuff. From her contacts at Cornell
"Once kidney function is lost, it cannot be regained - kidneys do not
regenerate so if half your nephrons are dead you can't improve that, though you can slow the progress"

She also called them to ask what the amino acids were and got a defensive answer.
plus the testing was only on 19 cats, and no control group.

This product will probably not hurt, but its basically a waste of money.

Offline Gump and Co

• Yapper
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#renavast

I'd say feeding either a good wet food or raw (either premade or home-prepared) would be the best way to try prevent a cat from getting CRF thumbsup1  

I would also add that minimizing vaccines, along with a healthy wet diet is a way to help prevent CRF. I haven't seen any discussions here about the research at Colorado State University looking at a link of the FVRCP vaccines/boosters and the development of kidney disease in cats. I'll try to start another thread about that. The research is still ongoing, but there are appear to be associations.

Dr. Jean Hofve on littlebigcat.com also talks about the kidney disease and FVRCP vaccine issue/research (though now Dr. Lappin of CSU is now saying that other vaccines, not just the FVRCP, can potentially induce these harmful antibodies due to the cell culture antigens: http://www.wvc.org/downloads/conference_notes/2012/2012_SA183.pdf). I would say especially to minimize boosters in older kitties.

And I agree that this Renavast supplement is probably a waste of money. There are lots of these supplements marketed online. I made the mistake of trying one of the diabetes supplements, which did nothing. It is also concerning that we don't know what the ingredients are in Renavast, and also how do we know some of ingredients in other herbal supplements couldn't be harmful? They are all pretty pricey, too. I think the Renavast thing was like $40 for a one month supply, and of course they recommend giving it indefinitely.

Links to info on littlebigcat.com on the CKD and vaccine issue: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/dont-vaccinate-your-adult-cat-for-distemper/

and good general info on vaccines (including the CKD issue) here: http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/vaccination/

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:19:37 PM by Gump and Co »

Offline claudeone

• Claude West (The Cat Man)
    • Tips About Cats
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
I did a 60 day trial with RenAvast simply because the vet and I could see no harm in using and there is no miracle pill to cure the disease.  Sadie did well with the product meaning her activity increased.  I would have to continue the trial for 3 to 6 months to see if the blood work improved.  Reason I did not was a pharma rep approached me with a supplement called Renal and they also have another called Renal Advanced both available without prescription.  This product is supposed to reduce the nitrogen build up and counteract acidity in the blood.  I am currently testing this but again it will take months to determine results.

Yes I Googled and read all of the bad press about RenAvast prior to purchasing.  My vet's greatest concern was the lack of 3rd party studies to confirm the results.  Several techs from rescue centers have reported to me that it stabilized abandoned and feral kitties with kidney issues so they could do general anesthesia for dental work.

Make no mistake that I am not endorsing any of these products but am willing to try any natural therapy to improve the cats quality of life.  I do many other things for Sadie including probiotics with enzymes, potassium salt, wet and raw diet.  What supplements have you been using to treat the symptoms of CKD and how is it working for you?
All cats have itchy chops.  Besides scratching the next complaint by owners is it rubs its face on corners and such.  The behaviorist say it is marking..Bah Humbug..to a point there is some relevance in their comment.  I say kitty you are a thumb and forefinger away from a chop squeeze.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 06:22:29 PM »
Thanks for your input Claudeone! My CRF kitty has been gone almost 4 years (next month) but she never took any renal supplements.  She did take other medicines, cisapride for megacolon, and pepcid ac, and she had hyperthyroid high blood pressure ( one or the other or both often accompany CKD) but couldn't tolerate the medications that treat them.

The only thing I did for her kidney disease was sub q fluids four times a week, 150 ml.  She ate a wet diet. She was just shy of 15 when she was diagnosed, and left me right before she turned 18. It was a third stroke that took her from me, not the CKD.

Please feel free to start a thread telling us all about your Sadie.

Tags: