Author Topic: Vet visit tomorrow  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Vet visit tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 07:34:26 AM »
Any news?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:36:57 PM »
Well, I have been playing phone tag with the vet for a couple of days, he'd call me and I would be gone, I'd call him and he'd be on a farm call or in surgery, but I finally managed to catch him this morning. He said that they don't think there is actually anything seriously wrong with Amber. However, he wants another blood sample in a couple of months and if her numbers are still low (and they will be, it has been over a year since her first test) he wants to talk to me about a marrow sample. I don't know if I am going to let him do that or not. I know it is incredibly painful. His former instructor also said something about me taking her off homemade food, citing potential heart issues, I am guessing from taurine deficiency. My vet doesn't really think it is needed, he knows I supplement properly. Part of me wants to call that immunologist and tell her that 1. taurine deficiency screws up a lot more than the heart and 2. I know what I am doing, thank you very much. However, there is no point in being combative, and besides, she doesn't know me so there is no way for her to know that I am not just somebody throwing a bunch of scraps in a bowl and calling it balanced food. I am aggravated that we still don't have a cause. I don't think that its "nothing" because she isn't just on the low end of the normal spectrum for her neutrophils, judging by my research her neutropenia would be classified between moderate and severe.

On a happier note, things are about to get better around here. I finally got my degree in computer programing, and I landed a job that pays two dollars more per hour than my last job with plenty of opportunities for raises (ever six months if I keep my stats where they should be), so hopefully, my financial troubles are over. I start Monday. I may start taking Amber in for monthly or bi-monthly checkups once I get caught up with my finances in order, since we still don't know what is wrong with her. It might be prudent to do so.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
Congratulations on your degree! bananamiddlechild

Keep us posted on Amber.  Is she feeling okay, in spite of what her tests say?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 01:03:24 PM »
Maybe your vet is taking the "wait and see" approach to see if anything obviously gets worse...rather then go with a bunch of testing? MDs do it with humans.  Sometimes it works out for the better.   

Congrats on the degree and new job!!!!   fireworks1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 12:39:59 AM »
Thanks everybody. She doesnt seem to have any obvious symptoms, unless brattiness counts.

The wait and see approach is possible. My vet isn't the type to try and charge you a whole bunch of money unnecessarily.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
Well, we'll be watching this thread for updates.  :)