Author Topic: It's Take Your Cat to the Vet Week  (Read 3155 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
It's Take Your Cat to the Vet Week
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: It's Take Your Cat to the Vet Week
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
Treatment

This video was made
possible with a gift from:  PURINA Veterinary Diets

Fat Cat Dealing With Feline Obesity          Just WAIT till you see the huge picture gracing this page !!!   http://www.cathospitals.net/Fat_Cats.pdf

Major pet food manufacturers are now producing diets that meet these  requirements, including Hill’s Prescription Diet m/d, Royal Canin Calorie Control and Purina Diabetes Management.

Why do we need a week to promote veterinary care for cats?

Because your 'owners', the PFI and Big Pharma, need those numbers up, that's why.  

The sad fact is that even though cats are the most popular pet in Canada and the United States, they don’t receive the medical care they deserve.

Oh how true@!  Because too many unsuspecting parents take them to Mcvets bowing down to the almighty PFI instead.  

Cats visit the veterinarian less than half as often as dogs so many medical issues causing pain and suffering go undetected, or are diagnosed later than is ideal. Remember that even your indoor cat needs regular veterinary care. Even though they are at reduced risk of injury or illness from infectious diseases, they can still develop other serious health problems, such as diabetes, intestinal problems, kidney disease, and more. Health screening and early detection means a better chance of curing or successfully managing problems.

Would rephrase that "successfully" word up there -- RATHER, how about "successfully MASKING problems."??

Also of course keeping them on whatever dry food CAUSED the issues in the FIRST PLACE -- better yet, the food which may be sold to their parents -- gotta keep those drugs, visits, and Insulin shots rolling!!!1!!!

Ohhh here's a doozie:  http://www.cathospitals.net/Subcutaneous_fluids_FAB_guide.pdf

Subcutaneous (SQ) fluid administration is providing fluids into the space under the skin from where it can be slowly absorbed into the blood and body. This is a very useful way of providing additional fluids to cats and helping to manage and prevent dehydration. With chronic renal failure, cats usually lose more fluids than usual through their kidneys, and as the disease progresses they often become dehydrated as they do not drink sufficiently to compensate for this fluid loss. This has several detrimental effects, including potentially worsening the kidney failure – regular SQ fluid administration in the home environment can therefore be an extremely valuable part of the management regime for these cats.  

God forbid the words "meat moisture" is mentioned on this page.  If the cat was on a species-appropriate diet, would it NEED all the SubQs mentioned on the page???  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:38:35 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »
Well...maybe that wasn't the best link to give with something that goes on everywhere whether people use a McVet or not.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »
Well...maybe that wasn't the best link to give with something that goes on everywhere whether people use a McVet or not.

Sorry  :-[  Big picture with big bag of food... Purina...
Just soooo sick of allll the gimmicks when, the whole time,  they suppress information which would truly spare so much heartbreak and grief.  

It's their conflicts of interest which create toooo many of these issues. Over-vaccinations, food, where does it end?   It's nothing more than a cash cow targeting the biggest, easiest, most vurnerable suckers on Earth -- Pet Parents who get toooo attached.....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:58:43 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »
Over-vaccinations, food, where does it end? It's nothing more than a cash cow targeting the biggest, easiest, most vurnerable suckers on Earth -- Pet Parents who get toooo attached.....

Honestly, it ends when pet parents like me that are too attached end up asking why the heck everything that we did that was supposedly "right and best" for our friends didn't work. Why wasn't "the right and best" good enough to prevent unnecessary suffering in our lives or the lives of our pets that we'd loved so dearly?

Deciding that way obviously wasn't working, so we wouldn't do it again is where it ends. Deciding that if we have to speak up for our own health to our own physicians, then we could darned well speak up to our vets for how our animals were going to be raised--differently. Shoving new test results into the faces of our vets (who didn't have time to read that yet) to show them what you're basing your decisions on for your pets.

Helping further the educations of vets that are willing to work with you because they know (after personally knowing you for 30 years) that you're not an idiot--you just want to see if you can do better since others are proven to be doing better. Showing those vets our diet plans since we're going to be the chefs for them to prove we know what they need and we're providing it. Showing the research we're basing our new, chosen vaccination schedules on, and what we've decided is acceptable for our pets. Explaining it that you wouldn't do the same to your boys, so you're no longer willing to do it to your pets.

Then showing those vets that our newer "old" ways work perfectly well and having them see our pets are some of the healthiest in the office. Then our going out and answering questions of those in the public as to why your pet looks so beautiful and getting them interested in making THEIR pets as healthy as possible.

That's where it all ends...and betterment begins.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

It's allll those people, the general population, who are not on forums like this who my heart sinks for whenever I see something like this from the mainstream veterinary Industry.  So keep ranting like a broken record,  just hoping one person can be spared what we went through because nobody told us.  (Always  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed ing for lurkers looking for information out there.)

I didn't get on the Internet and second-guess all these gimmicks --  the pushes for teeth cleanings, shots and "prescrtiption" fraud/ood.   Doh1   It's nothing but gimmicks with them.   Great veterinarians are too busy with overflowing clients from reputation & word of mouth to worry about gimmicks.  they'll have their clients on top of things, but they seem to be rare, as the McVet chains are putting independents out of business (at least in my area.)   :(

We can't have pets anymore.   None.  That's how bad it was dealing with the new "breed" of McVeterinarian due to those chains  (i.e. VCA, Banfield) monopolising.  That's why I cringe ... and have to be a broken record.  it won't bring my dogs back, but the guilt might subside someday knowing one person may see a red flag, and run to another vet & be spared.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:15:52 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
Yeeeeeaaaaahh....

Can you say "marketing ploy"?

Unfortunately, it is an effective ploy, because many cats out there ARE sick with many of the illnesses stated in the article.
But like all marketing, it is only telling a partial truth.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:23:41 AM »
thumbsup1 thumbsup1 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
I didn't get on the Internet and second-guess all these gimmicks --  the pushes for teeth cleanings, shots and "prescrtiption" fraud/ood.   Doh1   It's nothing but gimmicks with them.

Why are teeth cleanings bad/a gimmick? I am with you on the prescription food and shots, but when Amber has her yearly exam, she gets a dental because she has a lot of tartar build up.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
Why are teeth cleanings bad/a gimmick? I am with you on the prescription food and shots, but when Amber has her yearly exam, she gets a dental because she has a lot of tartar build up.

I will just speak from my own experience...

At a yearly check-up, teeth cleaning was recommend (and done) on my 16 year old dog.  He was old, but he wasn't having any issues with his teeth... or anything else. 
Long story short, after the cleaning, he kept sneezing blood.  He then lost his sense of smell.  We went back and forth to the vet's... I don't know how many times.  They had no clue.  He went downhill FAST. 

Looking back... what was the point of cleaning a 16 year old dog's teeth that wasn't having any issues??  What DID they do to him that messed him up so badly?  Everything was blamed on age (and I bought into it  Doh1).  He didn't just physically "age" over night.  They did something to him. 

My point... I think teeth cleaning is often recommended when "they" can't come up with anything else.  Don't get me wrong... I DO think dental care IS important.  However, I also think tooooo many places see it as an "up sell." 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 07:01:15 AM »
Hi DeeDee  -- nice to see you  :)

Lola, it sounds by your experience that we dealt with the same mcvet outfit.   :(

I won't get into our nightmares in just one month of dealing with cretins of which I should have heeded all the red flags  -- we were blessed with an ANGEL Veterinarian for so many decades, second-guessing was just not an option   Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1

Suffice it to say, teeth cleanings were pushed on our senior dogs, whose undiagosed "ailments" which were totally unrelated to teeth and eating, deteriortated verrry rapidly.   Guess it's a 'good" thing it wasn't only one single dog involved.  I probably wouldn't have ever bought a clue  Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1 Doh1

The Mcvet chain rackets are in business for one thing only: To Upsell, and UPsell the UPselling of the UPselling.  
See them on the Stock Exchange....

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 07:16:12 AM »
Back where  -- and when -- I grew up, the excellent Veterinarians didn't need all the gimmicks.  Our vet had never advertised, and there has always been a line literally waiting @ 9 am outside for him to open.  

Just as with Restaurants & hair dressers, the ones who have been in business and at the same location for a while  -- word of mouth and reputation has people waiting for them to open in the morning, and demand sooo high.

The McVet around my corner has been there for at least a couple decades and the gimicks are endless....  we were still getting "postcards" after our dogs died.  And another horrible nearby "vet"  would have BIIIG signs hyping yearly vaccines, grooming,  etc.

If they were actually half-decent <gasp!> doctors (God forbid), they wouldn't have time to be grooming and *over*-vaccinating peoples' pets.    :(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:23:19 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
My two younger girls, since they no longer have any health issues, now only go once a year, for a check up and PureVax rabies shot.  Now that they are eating so much raw, including gizzards and wings, I don't worry about their teeth so much. (concern over dental health was one of the things that has always kept me taking all cats twice a year.  If a problem started a month after a vet visit, I worried, that's a long time for a cat to have a toothache between vet visits.  But the gizzards and wings will keep their teeth clean, PLUS if I see any signs they are having trouble eating them, I'll know there is a problem and bring them right in)

SK goes twice a year.  In June she gets her check up blood work and a UA and in December she gets her check up PureVax rabies shot (and anal gland expression, for some reason she seems to always need it in December, but not in June). Hmmmm..I just had a thought about that.  I wonder if eating grass has anything to do with it?  well I'll start a new thread on that.

As for dentals, my vet is very conservative when it comes to professional dentals.  She checks their teeth very thoroughly, and shows me what is what in their mouths when she does.  If she sees a chunk of tartar she'll try to pick it off with her fingernail and is sometimes successful.  So, when she recommends a dental, I believe her. None of my current cats have had any (they are 8 1/2, 7 and 2 1/2)

My Sweet Pea had to have them almost yearly, with extractions,  because he had resorptive lesions. It wasn't done lightly, it was a very big deal with him because of his seizures and taking phenobarbital.  My senior girly that predeceased him had to have one.  It was when she was 17 years old, she was in fairly advanced kidney disease, untreated hyperthyroid, untreated high blood pressure (because she couldn't tolerate the medications for them), megacolon, arthritis, heart murmur, and had had, at that point, one stroke.

But her mouth was very bad and her quality of life was suffering.  The risks associated with leaving the mouth untouched (heart failure, advancing the kidney disease even more) and the fact that she was suffering were weighed by me and my vet, and I ultimately decided that even if the anesthesia shortened her life, or if she couldn't handle it and left us during the anesthesia, quality of life was the most important thing, and she was suffering.

She came through it with flying colors and felt so much better afterwords I was just thrilled. She was like a new cat almost!

So there are two success stories associated with dental work in cats, but I also have a nightmare story.

My little Bibbs.  This was when I was going to another vet. She had a bad tooth.  The dental went fine, her teeth were cleaned and she ended up losing two teeth.  About a month later, her nose started to run. I brought her to the vet and she was put on antibiotics.  It cleared up, but a few months later it started to run again.

This went on for more than a year, and oh gosh this is hard to write.  I just didn't know as much then as I do now.  Why didn't that vet suggest x rays to see if there was something up there?  Why didn't I leave that horrible place sooner?  As it was, by the time I switched vets it was too late for Bibbs, she had a full blown cancer tumor in her sinus and I had to let her go.  By then I was wiping the mucous off her nose constantly, hourly through out the night and coming home from work on my lunch hour.  I was afraid she would suffocate in her own snot, it was coming to that, so I let her go. I am convinced that this is what happened, having read about it after the fact:  sometimes during an extraction a filament of tooth root will get away and travel into the sinus cavity.  A foreign body up in the sinus like that causes irritation, inflammation, and leads to a cancer forming around the object.

If that vet had done an x ray, perhaps Bibbs could have been saved. The thing could have been removed before the cancer formed. It hurts the most because of my Sweet Pea.  He was absolutely DEVASTATED when we lost Bibbs.  She was barely 14.  He should have had her with him for years more.  I was so worried over him and his grieving I never did get to properly grieve for Bibbs. I thought I was going to lose him too, back then. My gosh it was TERRIBLE.

So, when Sweet Pea started the FORL, and had to have extractions almost yearly, at the most 18 months apart, I was nervous as heck and would remind my vet before every procedure to account for every tooth root when she did the extractions! She never seemed to take offense. :)

Lola and CC, you have my sympathy for what you went through.  It's too bad there are so many not so great vets out there.

Tags: